main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Where will you be during the full solar eclipse of August 21, 2017? (April 8, 2024 Edition)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    We were in South Carolina, also. We were just north of Orangeburg.

anakinfansince1983 and Rew like this.
  2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

That's going to end well. ;)

Is it bad that I was rooting for him to keep looking up and up? What happens to a sitting president who acquires a permanent disability anyway? :p

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    His wife takes over.

Coruscant likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Perform a seance and ask FDR.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Salem.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I've been in that mode since 1999 :p I'm aiming for 2027 in Egypt because Luxor in August = guaranteed cloudless sky. That's provided that the whole country doesn't go to the dogs by then, of course.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  8. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Trump's hand over his heart just makes the picture even better.

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I pledge Allegiance, to myelf
    And the Bigly Yugeness of America ...

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Accurate.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Accurate.

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's a shame his face didn't melt when his advisors told him not to look.

But then we'd be stuck with Pence.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Venn diagram time - how many of these pics are just of Murican's pointing at airplanes?

15. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    I ended up watching it from Ashland, Missouri. Clouds rolled into Columbia, and there wasn't enough time by then (about an hour before totality) to make it out of Cosmo Park and get to Jefferson City. Ashland had decently clear skies, though (only very thin clouds that didn't turn the sky grey), and was practically on the center line of totality.

Even with all the comments I'd read from people saying how wonderful it is, "pictures do not do it justice", etc, I was still not prepared for JUST HOW BEAUTIFUL a total eclipse looks. You really do have to see it to get it.

Leading up to totality, I was hopeful it would be as great as everyone says it is, but was also a little worried that my expectations might have been raised too high. When I took my glasses off and looked up, I literally shouted "WOOOW!!!!!" multiple times.

I'd seen people have strong reactions in videos of past eclipses, and sorta thought they were being over dramatic (like you do at a concert, or something, to help create excitement, even if you aren't already that excited). Now I know they definitely were not.

The closest description I could make of it is that it's like a real life visual effect. It's so easy to make cool looking glowy things on a computer now that nobody's really impressed with seeing such images on a screen. But when you see such an "effect" in the actual world, it's just mind blowing.

One frame from a video I shot.

[​IMG]

16. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    Where will you all be next Monday?

17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Not by choice, but I'll actually be flying home from Florida (back to New York) on Monday. The family booked this three-day weekend trip a couple of months ago; likely not even paying attention to the date of the eclipse.

I'm just wondering how the pilots can adjust to this while flying. It's one thing to transition from daylight to nighttime during a very long flight that could last over 12 hours or so, but this is something that would transition from light to dark in a manner of what, like a half hour or so?

18. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Really hoping i can summon Cthulhu this time. It didn't work last time.