main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where Wookiees fear to tread... (discussion and index) 8/1 Challenge time! due 8/15

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by spiritgurl, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    Okay I have some questions about writing Chewbacca and other Wookiees so I thought I'd start this thread to discuss.

First off, are there any good Chewie/Wookiee stories out there? Please share links. :) I may create an index if I get enough response.

Next some questions.

While researching Kashyyyk I found out about the many layers of "Wookiee World" and the fact that in the EU the Wookiees do not venture to the lowest levels because of the dangers there (hence the title of this thread) and yet in the films we clearly see Wookiees on land, and an ocean/sea on Kashyyyk. When writing Kashyyyk how do you make sense of this difference? Any advice? Any websites or books you recommend to learn more about Wookiees and Kashyyyk?

In ANH we first see Chewbacca, he's hanging out with some "scoundrel" of a ship captain with a price on his head. He appears very loyal to Han but we also see evidence that he could be very violent if provoked (or beaten in a game :p) and we see evidence of fear as in the garbage compactor when he realizes they're not alone. We also see he's a bit sarcastic making an apparrently not very nice remark to Han about Obi-Wan aboard the Death Star. Later on, his loyalty and protectiveness spred out to include Leia and Luke, and even C3PO. We also see kindness and a sense of humor. We get a far more limited glimpse of him in ROTS where he is a warrior (but where was this bravery in the garbage compactor? seems out of character there). So how do YOU write Chewbacca? How does he speak (when translated)? Does he miss his home or is he more of an adventurer who enjoys life among the stars? What is his opinion on the whole "Force" issue?

sg

2. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    THE WILD AND WOOKIEE INDEX

HOW TO GET LISTED

This is for stories that have a Wookiee either as the main character or as a prominent secondary character. If your story qualifies and you would like it added please send the following information to me via PM.

Title: [ link=url of story]Title of story[/link ] (please leave in spaces before and after "link" for me)
    Author:
    Characters:
    Era: (Before the Saga, The Saga, Beyond the Saga)
    Genre: (Romance, Angst, Humor, Action etc)
    Summary:

While not required, if your story is listed a link back to this thread is greatly appreciated. [:D] To make it easy for you here is the code, just copy paste and remove the spaces before and after "link" to make it work.

LISTED AT:
    [ link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Resource/b10304/20771925/?1]The Wild and Wookiee Index[link ]

THE INDEX

A-D

Title: The Circle Starts to Close (Vignette)
    Author: Shaindl
    Timeframe: ANH missing scene
    Characters: Obi-Wan and Chewbacca
    Genre: Drama Viggie
    Summary: A Jedi goes into a bar and...

Title: Destiny's Beginning
    Author(s): Shaindl
    Timeframe: Hours post-ROTJ
    Characters: Luke, Chewbacca, others mentioned
    Genre: Missing scene
    Summary: Chewbacca shares some of his past with Luke

E-H

*none at this time*

I-L

*none at this time*

M-P

*none at this time*

Q-T

Title: The Sith Insurrection
    Author: JDH3
    Characters: Shorbecca (OC), Waroo, Lowbacca, many, many more.
    Era: Beyond the Saga
    Genre: General
    Summary: Set post-NJO, the Skywalker/Solo clan confronts a new Sith menance...and their own darkest fears.

Title: A Soldier?s Last Act
    Characters: Anakin, Tahiri, Shorbecca (OC), Maath Goran (OC).
    Genre: Angst
    Summary: The title says it all, really.

U-Z

Title: Walking the Path
    Author: Shaindl
    Timeframe: OT
    Characters: Luke and Chewbacca
    Genre: Drama vig
    Summary: Missing scene from ESB

3. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
  4. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I know you're not big into Beyond the Saga stuff, but we did see a lot of Kashyyyk (and Wookiee culture) in the Young Jedi Knights series, most notably "Darkest Knight." I, too, was confused to see water and beach in ROTS, when I was under the impression that the entire planet was covered by trees that put giant sequoias to shame. However, I suppose any inhabitable planet has to have some sort of land mass or some body of water; and as with a great deal of jungle terrain, the trees probably start a couple hundred feet away from shore. Depending on how shade-tolerant wroshyr trees are (says the forestry major :p), my guess would be that they grow far shorter in open areas, growing to gigantic size and canopy as the forest deepens. This gives a home to a hellish lot of nasty critters in the depths of the forest, including feral animals and carnivorous plants. In one of my older fanfics, I wrote a pod race on Kashyyyk that dealt with all sorts of hazards and death traps on the forest floor.

5. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Thanks Indra :)

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing something near the forest floor but then I read that they never go down there because of the dangers. One book I saw said the Wookiees don't go below the forth level so I was trying to figure out what version I should go with. I think you have a good point about the forest futher off shore being deeper and more dangerous.

sg

6. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Playing Knights of the Old Republic helped me gain a lot of really good knowledge of the different levels of Kashyyyk. Mostly because I had to play through the main ones- The villages in the upper levels, and then down in the Shadowlands, where the wookiees prove themselves to be true warriors. They will sometimes send "madclaws" down there, wookiees who have gone, in their eyes, mad. One wookiee who fits this description is Zaalbar, who attacked his brother Chuundar with his claws. This is seen to be the highest of dishonor, and he was cast out from Rwookrroo (or how ever it's spelled). His father, Freyyr, was also eventually seen to be mad, and he lived in the Shadowlands for more than a decade.

The history behind Kashyyyk's forests, as detailed in the game, is also really fascinating. An ancient artifact of the dark side resides in the shadowlands, and it warped all the life around it, and I can't recall the exact details (I haven't played that part of the game in a couple of months), but it led to the accellerated growth of all the species of plants and animals living there.

Beasts to watch out for include katarns and kinrath spiders, not to mention one very large "ritual beast," but that was killed 4,000 years prior to TPM.

And very determined humans can live there, the Jedi Jolee Bindo lived there for twenty years on his own. :)

7. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Yeah, I'm sure I could learn more from some of these games, my problem is that I've found out the hard way that if I spend too much time playing those games either via xbox or on computer that my hands get really REALLY bad from it. :( I have had carpal tunnel in the past from my net activities and at this point I can't play most computer or xbox games for very long at all. My hands just cramp up from the controller fairly quickly compared to most people.

And unfortunately, Im sure to get to the places in some of these games I want to get to to see what it's like, I'd have to spend quite a bit of time playing.

Thanks for the info though. :) Very helpful.

sg

8. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Oooh, I feel your pain. I'm a computer science major and I have tendonitis- in both wrists. Eek! But if I'm diligent, I can get in some good gaming time on the PC. I can't really do xBox either, though... played a bit at the opening of ROTS, and my hands were almost dead by the end of three rounds. :p Mouse and keyboard are much more friendly, 'specially since I picked up the ergonomic keyboard. Saved my life, it has. :D

And next time I play, I'll be sure to write down more detailed info- I'm writing a KOTOR fic at the moment, so I'll have to get the details eventually. :p Kashyyyk will be my first post-Dantooine planet, though, so I'll make sure I pay close attention.

9. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Oh, that would be most appreciated. :) Thank you.

sg

10. Aerex_Matare

Aerex_Matare Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    According to the Star Wars Databank, the shores depicted in ROTS were on the freshwater lagoons of the Wawaatt Archipelego, home to the coastal city of Kachirho. I guess when you've got a big jungle planet, there's going to be a body of water somewheres.

As for the levels, the only ones I've seen depicted in fiction or games are the canopy where the Wookiees dwell and the Shadowlands where dangers creatures dwell. I'm actually not sure that the Shadowlands are on the surface. I remember Bastila mentionting in KotOR that no one has seen the true "ground" of Kashyyyk, implying (to me, at least) that even the Shadowlands is the surface of kilometers and kilometers of mosses, brush, and other flora. I remember in one novel that Lumpawarrump, Chewbacca's son, went down into the Shadowlands to hunt a katarn and prove his adulthood. It ended up being a very hairy situation (no pun intended:rolleyes: :p ) and Chewie had to go down and rescue his son.

Good luck on your fic.:)

11. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Uh, if would help you, I have Star Wars Galaxy and one of the places you can go is the place on Kashyyyk that was shown in the movie. It's known as the de facto captial, at least in the eyes of the Imps. It's spelled Kachirio, if I recall correctly. Hehe, even though I play a Wookiee on the game I find it hard to spell the names they come up with :p

Next time I'm on Kashyyyk in the game I'll take note of the details and things for you, if you want. And there is a site for critters in SWG and it has some pictures of Kashyyyk animals, both near the lagoon, which is was that city is by, and on the Ryatt trail or the hunting grounds. The Ryatt trail, if I'm not bad mistaken was in the Han Solo trilogy or in the Black Feet Crisis, or maybe both.

The site is found here. It has an advanced search feature that allows you to pick the planet and if you want pictures or not. Though as the Kashyyyk expandsion is still considered new, it came out in May, some that says there are pictures don't show them as they are waiting for verifaction.

Also for game purposes, varactyls are on Kashyyyk, though not navtive to that planet so they'll come up if you search the planet.

If you need a describtion of a critter not pictured on the site I can take notes of what it looks like, if you want.

12. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Thanks Aerex and J_M_Bulldog :D

Yes, that would be excellent J_M. I'm going to PM you in a sec about that... ;)

sg

13. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    FYI, and index has been added to this (see second post)

14. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    I dunno if whatvever. But in Neither Fallen nor Reddemed by Arcalian. It spends a lot of time on Kashyyk, and the Wookies 3 of them at least are very importent. Espcecialy the dark side one.

15. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Thanks Ob-wan-shawa. I'll take a look for that later when I have a chance. You don't happen to have a link handy?

Added to the index:

Title: The Sith Insurrection
    Characters: Shorbecca (OC), Waroo, Lowbacca, many, many more.
    Genre: General
    Summary: Set post-NJO, the Skywalker/Solo clan confronts a new Sith menance...and their own darkest fears.

Title: A Soldier?s Last Act
    Characters: Anakin, Tahiri, Shorbecca (OC), Maath Goran (OC).
    Genre: Angst
    Summary: The title says it all, really.

16. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    First, this link:
    Neither Fallen Nor Redeemed by Arcalian

And so long as I'm in this thread . . .

FF Before
    THE WOOKIEE WARS TRILOGY - EPISODE I: JUNGLE WORLD (chapter 14 added) by emimar

FF Saga
    A Taller Perspective - Chewie's interpretation of the events of ANH - action/adventure/comedy/etc by Jedi_Linewalker
    Boys Night Out (Han, Lando, Chewie. Pre-ANH. Humor, action, craziness. CH. 3 - bar brawls & more) by PresidentKang
    The Coalition of the Desperate (Han Solo, Chewie, OC's) by Mjsullivan
    Changing sides: Chewie's story (BACON CHALLENGE) by Laura_Anu
    Chaos in Carbonite (Luke, Leia, Chewie, others - Han is mentioned) - Post ESB, Pre RotJ by Liesl
    Chewie Haiku by Anakin Starkiller
    The Hutt and the Wookiee (A fable of the GFFA) by Jedi_Monk
    I'd Just as Soon Kiss a Wookiee: The Other Side of the Story by Lord_John
    Mission to Chavez H/L Luke, Chewie, DV author note 4/4 by kimmi
    Night of the Stars: A Post-ESB story with Vader/Luke/Leia/Han/Chewbacca and Lando by Watcher_of_Dreams
    Of Wookiees and Princesses (Humor - Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, R2, C-3PO) by Obi-WansApprentice
    Then Came The Wookiee (Han, Lando, Chewie, Fett) UPDATED Pt. 7 - Nov 5th by Tiny
    Yet another half finished story! A Wookiee's Honour by emimar

FF Beyond
    Anakin Solo vs. Lowbacca Challenge (It's the "I'd rather Kiss A Wookiee!" type Funny) by Courtney_Solo
    Breathing My Last Breath- A Chewbacca/Anakin vingette by Jek_Windu
    Crossover, chapter 2. J/TK J/Z A/T new post 7-13-04, CHEWIE!!!! by Wes_Janson
    Failure to Comply May Result in Wookie Arm Ripping. [Short Assassin Tale with the Solos and an OC] by Calandria
    Life Debt (short story - Chewbacca, Han, Anakin) Conclusion 1/10 by SkalenFehl
    Never Forgotten (Chewie songfic) by Exploded-Girl
    Rabid Wookiee! Han and Chewie, humour. Updated! 10/6 by Stormtrooper_Shrink
    Separate Lives - AU COPL, Han, Chewie, Leia, Luke, etc. - angst- COMPLETED!/Replies! by GreatOne
    She Kissed My Wookiee--post-ROTJ humor vignette by DarthIshtar
    Surprise!!! H/L Luke, Chewie... etc. Completed on 2/22/04 - replies to comments 6/2 by GreatOne
    A Wookiee Alone (Challenge Response) update 1/15 by princess_meg

FF Classic
    Chewbacca, Jedi Knight (An Adventure Where Anything Goes) --HUMOR by ryke
    A Day in the

17. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Ooooh.. thank you very very much, that'll keep me busy for a while. ;)

sg

18. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    but where was this bravery in the garbage compactor? seems out of character there

I don't think it's out of character. I just think it might be something he was afraid of. You know, like an elephant. Big and strong, yet in the fables the elephant is deathly afraid of the tiny mouse.

As for the whole Kashyyk thing , I think that night I saw ROTS all my brothers were going to kick my behind when I yelled, "Where did that water come from? There's no water on Kashyyk. I believe that was a Lucas faux pas. (social blunder)

The first description I ever read on the planet was with Thrawn's trilogy when Leia goes to hide because she's pregnant.

I think, and I might be wrong, that the lower levels, which you had to climb down to, was where the wookie boy did his right to adulthood.

With that said, I'm going to be reading these entries tonight. I don't think I've ever read any of them.

19. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    Wow, this is pirking my interest and i think i see a plot bunny jumping in. Going to have any challenges?

20. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Mmm... we could. :) Give me time to think on it. If anyone has any ideas, PM me. ;)

edit: You know what? Just had a nice idea for a challenge. :D Since the title of this thread is "Where Wookiees fear to tread..." our first challenge will be related. You are challenged to write about a Wookiee who is afraid of something. Could be cowardly, could be fear of losing a loved one, or fear of dishonor, just as long as you are showing what a mighty Wookiee might fear. Cut off date is August 15, which gives you 2 weeks. Please posts links to your story here when it's done. Challenge threads have been created in each story forum: Before the Saga thread, The Saga thread, Beyond the Saga thread

Edit #2 or should I start a challenge thread in the story forums? Sorry, I've not done this before. I'm not sure what's correct.

sg

21. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Challenge thread would be very helpful. :D

22. Brant_Flir

Brant_Flir Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    Awsome! This is perfect for the plot bunny i have!

23. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Okay, thank you for the answer Jade. I'll get those threads up a little later tonight and post the links here.

sg

edit: all set. I've added the links to the above post. Have fun everybody. :)

24. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Lola64

re: the water on Kashyyyk, well... I know this is Star Wars but if you think about it, all of these big trees HAVE to have water to survive. So at least some water on the planet does make sense.

sg

25. Ob-wan-shawa

Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    I have a plot bunny for where wookies faer to tread, but I don't know if I could write it good. Hmmm.
    Is there a thing how long it has to be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.