main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wherefore art thou Darth? (New Canon Edition) (TFA SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BobaMatt, Dec 19, 2015.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    So it seems like the Rule of Two is very, very, very old, and very integral to the Sith way of thinking. That said, it seems obvious that this Jedi battlefield wasn't just Jedi fighting two Sith, so I wonder if we're not in familiar territory, here, with Darths taking an apprentice, and lots of other Sith trying to be Darths? Or maybe the rule of two didn't preclude the Sith from always having an army, that even after Darth Bane the Jedi were fighting Rule-of-Two Sith leading vast armies, which hadn't yet retreated to the shadows?

2. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe that the Sith of old worked like the Jedi of more recent years : one apprentice per confirmed Sith, no more no less. Maybe only one apprentice in all of a Sith's lifetime?

3. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    As many apprentices as you have to train before one of them kills you, probably.

4. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Do they really have to apply the Rule of Two to lifts?

5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I really felt three could have fit on that lift. Sure, it would be crapped and awkward, but they could have made it work.

Rule of Two debunked...for EVERYTHING!

Better yet, they should have used a saber-copter.

6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    They do if it's integral to Sithery in this new canon? It's not just any lift, after all - it's meant to keep certain people out.

7. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    I don't think the lifts are meant to keep people out though as the Inquisitors can just use their saber-copters (still can't believe this a thing...) to fly up there or any people with a jetpack for that matter. It could also be possible
    that Maul was exaggerating the whole thing so that he can have some alone time with Ezra.

In any case, Rule of Two for entering lifts is just overkill to me lol.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It's called the Rule of Two, not the Suggestion of Two.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So, the Presence. Who was she? And I don't just mean in terms of identity: where was the voice coming from? The holocron, a spirit, some kind of AI for the temple/weapon?

Also, I think that's our first canon female Sith Lord.

10. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Temple seemed pretty destroyed, and Filoni doesn't want to revisit it, so as to keep Ahsoka out of Rebels without confirming her dead. But jusging by his interview he still intends to put a name to the Presence. So it's gotta be the holocron.

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    It's clear the Temple was explicitly designed to be accessed by Masters/Apprentices.

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm increasingly enamoured with the idea that the Sith have operated in exclusively in dynamic duos for their entire history . . . with the answer to "Wherefore art thou Darth?" being that each duo is a "school" unto itself, bearing the name of the founding master from which they claim descent.

The strongest duo become the Dark Lords of the Sith and command the others.

And Bane decides that jostling for primacy over the other duos is a waste of time, realises that the RoT can be taken even further, and outright destroys them.

This won't be the case, of course, so I'm irritated that I like it so much. :p

13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I wonder if Bane foresaw that basically every single Lord of the Sith would have a drastically different view of how to Get Things Done. Something I really liked about Luceno's Darth Plagueis is essentially that Plagueis' flaw was that he didn't want enough power and that he liked and trusted his apprentice enough to celebrate with him.

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Cross-posting from the Rebels thread:

I like this idea, but I'm inclined to think that the ruins on Malachor and Koraband do point to there once having been a more open period of Sith rule - though how far that goes is unclear.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, you're not wrong. Though there's the question of just how long ago we're talking, too. I don't think it's unreasonable for the Sith to be largely unknown outside of history buffs if their period of open rule was, say, pre-Republic. But if we're talking about an open and recurring threat to the Republic, then it's all a bit silly.

BobaMatt and darklordoftech like this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    There's also the possibility that few people were aware of the location of planets like Moraband and Malachor.

MandaloreRex2015 and Ulicus like this.
  17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, I mean, on a galactic scale they could be the Sith equivalent of Freemasonry lodges.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    We know from Servants of the Empire that the Order of the Terrible Glare is canon. Maybe the Sith ruled through the Pius Dea at some point?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Order_of_the_Terrible_Glare

19. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I love the Rule of Two, it makes the sith total bad ***es to have survived so long with only two of them.

Though it seems strange that it was so much older then we initially thought, I really want a film or comic set during the Sith war to explain this.

I feel the rule of two had been diluted quiet a bit recently though, with all these dark side red shirts or sithinallbutname as I call them, I'm just not fond of how its been treated,

20. DreamingGod

DreamingGod Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2015
    Perhaps the Rule of Two referred to something else, like how many Sith apprentices a Sith could take, but not the sum total of all the Sith. Or perhaps, Maul is mistaken, applying his Banite knowledge where it doesn't apply. He never did get the Holocron, so nothing says he would know the truth.

21. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I know that it is now a legends book, but the first Darth Bane book that I read there was a Sith Order. You had their version of the Grand Master Sith and others who were more or less Sith Lord Council members. I always thought that was an interesting idea. Then Bane got power and changed it to the rule of two. Honestly I really loved that book.

22. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Darth Allen revolutionized the Sith to-do list.

[​IMG]

BobaMatt likes this.
  23. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    This new Darth Maul issue is
    [​IMG]

24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The new Darth Vader comic has a bunch of juiciness in it. I'm particularly intrigued by:

• The notion that Sith lightsaber crystals are, as a matter of course, stolen from Jedi.
    • The fact that Palpatine tells Vader they will rule "as one," which seems...new, for the Sith, at least in our current understanding of them.