main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Where's Aurra Sing?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Darth Venom, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Venom

Darth Venom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 1999
    Hey all,

During the post TPM hype I distinctly remember GL mentioning that we (SW Fans) would learn more about Aurra Sing in the upcoming films.

Well, having read and seen AOTC, and having read the ROTS novel there's no sign of Aurra. Anyone care to speculate on this characters fate?

Is it possible she was dumped in favor of another character? Maybe some of her traits were even incorporated into a new character...say, like collecting "trophies" from his/her kills?

So, anyone else have any theories they'd like to put forth?

2. MysterySith

MysterySith MEPA Founder/Advisor FF NYC, NY star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 17, 2000
    Didn't Aayla Secura kill her in the Aaya Secura Comic Book? I think I read that comic.

I would of been nice to see her turn up again in a movie.

3. Darth_Piddy

Darth_Piddy Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2004
    She was boring anyways. I never understood the hype. She didn't do anything in the movies.

4. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    She's alive and well - she appears in several (in fact quite a few now I think about it) of the DHC Republic comics (I get the issues if you want) - she is working for the Confederacy mainly during the Clone Wars - as well as the comics, she appears in the Young Boba Clone Wars-era novels and also the GBA game, "New Droid Army". And maybe other places I just can't remember as I am about to head off to work.

Aurra was captured (not killed) by Aayla in "Jedi: Aayla" though she later escapes from that prison that appeared in the Pod Racing console game. I believe Aayla is alive and well during the Classic era, though not as active in the years when Boba is king bounty hunter.

I like Aurra, along with Asajj and a few others, she forms what I call "Dooku's Devils" (opposite of Charlie's Angels lol :p ).

5. johnny_nod

johnny_nod Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    I believe you're referring to the sole bounty hunter from the EU who is confirmed as making an appearance in Episode III...

...but since this is a spoiler-free area, I won't reveal who this is. :)

It is NOT, however, Aurra Sing.

From what I've read of Aurra, she's a compelling kind of character. Even if she only made a blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearance in Ep. I along with, well, the guy who was later identified as Quinlan Vos. :)

And she's a GREAT foe of Aayla's, based on her appearance in the "Jedi" comic they both lock horns in.

That's the really great thing about "unique" SW movie extras: you may only appear for a moment, but any elaboration by way of an inspired EU author can make you just as popular as the central cast of the movies! :)

As for Aurra's fate, well...

Best-case scenario: she assists in the Jedi purge, but she doesn't survive into the OT era. She may have even been killed by one of the many Jedi she was hunting.

Worst-case scenario: Aurra's got a lightsaber on her person(from her minimal Jedi training). The clones mistake her for a full-blown Jedi and she's cruelly overwhelmed.

My $.02 in Republic credits on Aurra's fate...

- Johnny

6. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    I never got much into the EU whereabouts of the minor characters

7. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Personally I think they could have forgone Zam Wessell and just used Aurra Sing instead. It would have made more sense and to be honest I thought Zam was pretty useless.

I spoke to Michonne about this once and we were both hoping Aurra would show up again as a mentor or something to the newly-orphaned Boba.

8. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Oh Boba takes care of himself fine after Episode 3. So says the EU. :)

9. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Aurra has been a favourite of mine from the start, there was something about the way she looked and the DK Ep I Visual Dictionary made me want to know more. Then again bounty hunter characters have that effect on me lol.

Even when her character was being filmed for that scene in TPM, the DHC writers (Truman or Blackman, I think it was the former) were writing more stories for her to appear in the comics. She has been an adversary of Ki-Adi-Mundi for most of her time in the comics, partly because of their mutual link to the quintessential gray Jedi, the Dark Woman (you see her named in the "Jedi: Aayla", beforehand, as part of her complete dedication to the Force, she refused to acknowledge having a name). Aurra was the padawan of the Dark Woman, but the DW is a harsh taskmaster, someone who sees the cruel galaxy for what it is and her strict training can badly affect her learners. Aurra was taken by pirates when the DW was pre-occupied, and then the pirates sold her to a Hutt. She was told that the Dark Woman herself had sold her to the pirates, thus starting what would become a devastating bitterness and hatred of all Jedi. Aurra was not a Jedi when she was kidnapped (she was still a padawan), so in a sense she cannot be a "Dark Jedi" as such, but she has strong Force ability fueled by the Dark Side. And very much like a certain character we will see in Ep III, she likes to collect trophy lightsabers.

Aurra has had a good run in the Republic series, she has had a whole chapter dedicated to her ("The Hunt for Aurra Sing") and she turns up now and then.

Johnny - As far as I know Aurra DOES survive to the OT period, and probably longer. There have been no sources yet that contradict that - the character guides amongst other material, and I believe an official statement on sw.com message boards, confirmed that.

I also believe that she was being considered for a larger roll than she got in Ep I, but in the end GL cut that before it got started.

I think I know who you are on about for Ep III, but I believe that character is not in there anymore. I also heard rumours that Aurra was considered for an Ep III role, but after having read the novel and other Ep III - I don't see a scene where she would fit in.

Mike - you are like the majority of fans, who love the films and don't really get too involved with the EU. I think from the start I wanted to know more, and see more. Part of the appeal of the EU is that the big characters don't always get the limelight, sometimes a 2-second shot provides some inspiration for the creative people who make the EU and it can lead to some great places. "The Hunt for Aurra Sing" has got to be one of my favourite pre-Clone Wars stories in the DHC Republic comic series - not only because it had Aurra, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Asharad Hett (a tusken jedi - though don't take this as it seems, there is a lot more to his story, and it isn't as "weird" as it seems), and the Dark Woman. But also because it had beautiful art and a thrilling story. This was Aurra at her best IMHO, she is quite a wicked adversary when you annoy her lol.

Meri - I actually liked Zam (despite her failure - but then look at Boba in ROTJ - they are up against the legendary heroes of SW - they have to lose lol), and I am glad she was created though the loss of Aurra from the films is bad. I don't see Aurra working with Jango though, she is very much a loner, and by the time of AOTC being written had quite an EU life - so I guess GL preferred to make a new bounty hunter to get killed lol - and OMG I would have been mad if Aurra had taken her place and been saber-darted by Jango.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.