main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Where's the love for Count Dooku?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ObiAlKenobi, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    Was he a full-on Sith or just a rogue Jedi?

Darth Maul and Sidious are both called Sith by the Jedi, but Dooku isn't.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I love Darth Tyranus. Count Dooku can go to the netherworld!

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW: Sidious to Maul "You are no longer my apprentice. You have been replaced!"

And he's called a Sith, a lot, in the series, by himself among others.

In the movies, Palpatine calls him a Sith Lord in RoTS.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  4. VadersFollower

VadersFollower Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2011
    I personally enjoyed the character a lot. Not only because of Lee, who has a great voice and presence, but also because its one of those villains who you just love to hate. Hes the kind of villain who can really raise your blood pressure and make you hate him as a character. I remember the urge to see Dooku "get it" almost as strong as seeing Vader being born when I was waiting for EIII to come out, therefore the opening duel between him and Anakin was very tense for me because I was on the edge of my seat pitching for Anakin to completely annihilate him. And it really takes skills to get a villain who could ignite that in an audience

My only complaint about the character, as odd and minor as it seems, is that Id prefer them to use his Sith name rather than his original name, Darth Tyrannus

StartCenterEnd and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Dartht Punk

Jul 17, 2014
    It would be hard for him to gain the support of all the seperatist sympathisers if everyone knew he was a Sith lord.

6. Dartht Punk

Jul 17, 2014
    Oh yeah.

Sith Lords obviously aren't my speciality.

7. VadersFollower

Jul 18, 2011
    Thats true, although Jedi knew he was a Sith from certain point on, would just prefer them to refer to him as Tyrannus

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Does he ever reveal his "Tyranus" name to them?

I don't think they guessed that Dooku was the Tyranus that hired Jango as the Prime Clone, in AoTC.

9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I'm a big fan of Count Dooku. Not only did I find him a complex character, but he also made an effective forerunner to Anakin. His presence made it easier for me to see that a Jedi - even a veteran one such as himself - was capable of becoming a Sith. And I liked that.

Cael-Fenton likes this.
  10. VadersFollower

Jul 18, 2011
    They could have, and they definitely mused over who Tyrannus was, but at the end of the day its no biggie. I just like the idea of Sith lords being named Darth, so I wanted more emphasis on the fact that Dooku is Darth Tyrannus

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Palpatine uses "Lord" almost as often as Darth, in conversation with them.

12. Dartht Punk

Jul 17, 2014
    There really wasn't an opportunity for anyone to call him Darth Tyrannus except for Sidious at the end of Episode II.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Be nice if the Grievous scene had been more like the novel version:

Now he had four arms. And four hands.
    And each hand took a lightsaber as his cloak dropped to the floor.
    They snarled to life and Grievous spun all four of them in a flourishing velocity so fast and so seamlessly integrated that he seemed to stand within a pulsing sphere of blue and green energy.
    "Come on then, Kenobi! Come for me!" he said. "I have been trained in your Jedi arts by Lord Tyranus himself!"
    "Do you mean Count Dooku? What a curious coincidence," Obi-Wan said with a deceptively pleasant smile. "I trained the man who killed him."
    With a convulsive snarl, Grievous lunged.
    The sphere of blue lightsaber energy around him bulged toward Obi-Wan and opened like a mouth to bite him in half. Obi-Wan stood his ground, his blade still.
    Chain-lightning teeth closed on him.

14. Dartht Punk

Jul 17, 2014
    That line should have stayed in.

Count Dooku is just a cooler name than Darth Tyrannus. Tyrannus is an quite a clumsy and unsubtle name for a villain, whereas 'Doku' is the Japanese word for poison.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. VadersFollower

Jul 18, 2011
    I think Tyrannus fits Dooku, since he IS a tyrant. I like both names, but I wish the actual name Darth Tyrannus was used in any of the movies (I know Tyrannus was, just not with Darth)

16. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Yes. In addition to the quote you posted from the ROTS novel, in one of the last Clone Wars episodes (I believe it was from late in season 5), Obi-Wan and Anakin find out that Dooku and Tyranus are one and the same. He confirms it to them in their dialogue.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Season 6.

Oddly, in the Junior Novelization of RoTS, Obi-Wan realises that "Tyranus" must be "Darth Tyranus" shortly after Order 66- while watching Sidious and Vader in that hologram:

Obi-Wan switched off the hologram completely, and the two Jedi stood in silence. How long had Darth Sidious been planning this? He had used the war, obviously - Count Dooku had been a Sith. Then Obi-Wan remembers: the first Sith he had encountered, back when he was still a Padawan. The Sith with the double-sided lightsaber, who had killed his Master, Qui-Gon Jinn. Did the plot go back that far?

Yes, it had to. He saw it now, the whole clever, subtle plan. The Jedi knew that Darth Sidious had urged the Trade Federation to start the long ago war on Naboo. Now Obi-Wan could see the true purpose of that war: to provide the opportunity for Senator Palpatine to become Supreme Chancellor Palpatine. And then Palpatine must have seduced Count Dooku to the dark side, so that by the time his term as Chancellor was running out, the Separatists would be ready to start a larger war. Because of the Separatist threat, the Senate had begged Palpatine to stay on as Chancellor, and granted him more and more "emergency powers" in an effort to win a war that always seemed about to finish, but never was quite won.

Even the clone troops - the Jedi had accepted without question that Master Sifo-Dyas had arranged for their creation. But Sifo-Dyas was long dead. And that bounty hunter, the one who had provided the original genetic material for the clones ... he'd told Obi-Wan that a man named Tyranus had recruited him. Obi-Wan had thought it was another lie; they'd found no man named Tyranus. But I'll bet there was a Darth Tyranus! Why didn't I see it then?

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Where's the love? It's not enough. It makes the world go round and round. Where's the love? Just give it up.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Really? I found him very sympathetic as a character. Obviously I knew he had to die, this is SW, Vader alone of the true villains gets redeemed, etc, but still. And after Obi-Wan got thrown against the railing, I felt more fearful/apprehensive than anything else. Because you could see it coming, on both counts, that 1) Dooku was going to be killed within a few minutes; and 2) Anakin was going to slide further into darkness while doing it.

I'm curious, care to elaborate what you found so hateable about Dooku?

I dunno, I like the exchange the way it is, myself. By the time of RotS, Obi-Wan's a play-it-cool kinda guy. He doesn't need to respond all the baddies' bluster, he just gets down to business ;)

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I like Dooku, but I often wonder why he would join the Sith after the death of Qui Gon.

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Season 6, Episode 10.

22. VadersFollower

Jul 18, 2011
    Aside from the obvious, which is his actions, and slaying all the jedis, its the way hed done it. Coldly, without any emotions, completely unmoved by the admirable efforts of the jedis who came to save their friends even if outnumbered. Its also his overconfidence and most importantly, smugness about him. Hes casually watching his "old friends" getting hammered and has an attitude about it as if hes too important to even be bothered to be there, as if hes about to yawn and go, and if hes the best force user that ever lived and gods gift to the universe. That coldness and smugness, I couldnt wait for this guy to be taught his lesson

23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Nooooo! (you just heard you-know-who at the end of ROTS.)

It's all about class. A bit of poise and elegance don't hurt ;)

24. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    It should be tiriniss, not ti raa niss I reckon. I'd respect him more if his name sounded like that.

25. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i only wish he could have had more screentime. i guess i feel that about others as well, like they had enough there for 4 prequels really.