main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Where's the Lusankya been through the NJO?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Alex_Striker, Mar 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zohrath

Zohrath Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2001
    Isard is dead, here's from the SW.com databank at the bottom of heir bio:

"Isard agreed. A New Republic taskforce attacked Krennel's Ciutric Hegemony and managed to free the prisoners. Isard still found a chance to betray the New Republic, as she tried to retake her beloved Lusankya. Her betrayal was predicted by Iella Wessiri, who shot Isard dead." <---Dead:)

2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    That's what they tell the tourists :)

3. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yeah, they tell the same about Xizor...

4. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    And Anakin. And Borsk. And Corran. And Gavin. And Elegos. And Bror Jace. And Madine. Often we are told that people die ;)

5. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, Isard and Xizor are not said to be dead in their respective novels. That's not the case with Elegos and Madine... The others, though... :p

6. GrandAdmPellaeon

GrandAdmPellaeon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2002
    As life and death goes there are two things for certain:

1. Anakin is dead.
    2. The GFFA would be alot better off now with Grand Admiral Thrawn calling the shots.

7. Zohrath

Zohrath Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2001
    You'll have to excuse an extreme noob question, but what does GFFA mean?

8. Jedi_Strike

Jedi_Strike Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2001
    Well, it took time until I got this, but I think it means 'GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY'...

9. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    Jedi_Strike, you are the lucky winner ! <quiz show winning music plays> You get the choice of a mountain bike, a Mediterranean cruise and a 2-year subscription for ALL SW literature products. Now choose wisely ;)

10. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Omg...if you think a Super Star Destroyer is "useless" against the Yuuzhan Vong, you'd better think again.

11. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "This is the case with the question regarding Mme Director Isard and her death. M. Stackpole alluded to the idea that she might yet live, but did not state that she was, in fact, alive. As a result, his intention that she was not killed has been overruled by both The Essential Chronology and the Official Site Databank, both of which explicitly state that she was shot and killed aboard the Lusankya by Agent Wessiri."

Of course EC and the official site are written by non-goverment officials, civilians. Where as if something was deemed classified, they wouldn't know the "truth", truth and propaganda is subjective. The civilians only get non-classified parts of the story, and a cover story to hide what may actually be something that goes deeper and is classified. Though I had the honor of having spoken to dan wallace about this, and he says it's vague enough that you can believe basically what you want to believe. He said personally he doesn't like the idea that isard might be alive, but it is possible that a civillian cover story was made. Then on the other hand perhaps the cover story is the complete truth and she is completely dead. It's open to both sides interpretation in the way they want to see it. Both outcomes could be valid.

12. Howlrunner

Howlrunner Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2001
    The SSD wouldn't be "useless" against the Vong, but... I highly doubt it would be the "end the war" machine most seem to consider it. An SSD might even hurt the NR.

How can I say that? Let me explain. The SSD was not originally built to be a dedicated warship. It's a _command_ ship. It's main function seems to be more of a psychological edge than a purely military one. They are superior warships when they need to be, but they're weak against things like snugfighters and, for the statistics I've seen, they carry a low number of fighters to ensure it's own safety. It's biggest contribution to a battle, besides carrying the best general available usually, is the effect it has on the battle's forces. Allied forces immediately get a lift in morale when they see that awesome ship come into the area. Even if it doesn't fire a shot. It has the opposite effect on the other side, spreading fear and lowering morale.

Now... How can this be bad for the NR? Easy... If the Vong managed to destroy one of those monsters after it showed up and boosted the NR morale and hopes for victory... Morale would be shattered at the very least, and might possibly cause some people to give up hope of winning and seek to appease them.

I could be way of on my opinon and thoughts, but that's what I think about the SSDs and may be one reason they've not been seen.

13. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    That was the Imperial tactic for using SSDs. The NR seemed to use them for sheer firepower. The few times we saw the Lusankya in action she was alone. And for those who believe that WEG's given length of 8000 meters for the ship is wrong, why should we believe the given EU figures for the fighter complement? Or the armament? I saw a guesstimate for the 17.6 km SSD's stats on swrpgnetwork.com that put the armament at 1200 rather than 250 of each type of weapon aboard. THAT'S FIREPOWER! And Force-knows how many fighters they fit in that hangar - it's big enough to drydock half the Katana Fleet.

14. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, the Vong would easily defeat the Lusankya. They'd just have to build a Vong Star, then make it jump near the Lusankya, then send 2 skips destroy the shield projectors, and a cryn'lah suicide Vong crash on the Lusankya bridge, and then boom ! The ridiculously small Lusankya'd crahs on the Vong Star.

Easy, no ?

15. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    The NR would need to resurrect Admiral Idiot - Piett, I mean.

16. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    With Lusankya around. . . . there would be some serious de-Vongification going on methinks.

17. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    The Lusankya is actually 17.6 km long. You can fit a lot of weaponry on that, more than a standard SSD (8 km).

The morale theory makes sense, but it's not enough to make anyone want to hold back the Lusankya, or scrap it.

18. Alion_Sangre

Dec 9, 2001
    Prepare to kick butt! I want to see Tsavong Lah's face when the "Lady Lucy" pops out of hyperspace right on top of his flagship!

PS: I AM SO FREAKIN' PISSED BECAUSE I HAD TO BE A GOOD LITTLE BOY AND GO TO CHURCH AND I GOT BACK TO MY DORM MERE MOMENTS AFTER THE AOTC TRAILER ENDED! :_| :mad: AND THIS STUPID THING WON'T LOAD QUICKTIME!

19. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Sorry, too much evidence to the contrary for me to believe Isard is dead. The EC was written more as if it were a historian in the Star Wars galaxy telling the history of the galaxy than if it were written as an explination of what takes place in the movies and the EU. As such, a historian who was not able to get evidence to the contrary would naturally put down that Isard had died. And the OS has been known to make mistakes as far as the EU goes. Corran saw a picture of his father as a little boy when he was training under his real father. The OS claims Hal Horn was a baby when his real father died. Yet chapter 36, pages 289-290 of The Krytos Trap gives a different image of Hal Horn's age at the time his father died.

The light from the holographic projection bled below into a static hologram. It showed Halcyon standing with a boy. The Basic legend running down the edge of the image read "Nejaa Halcyon and an apprentice." The projection snapped off and the hologram went dark, but it took Corran several seconds to become cognizant of that fact.

That boy. That was my father.... He'd seen holograms of his father as a child, and the boy in the image looked very much like Hal horn had at that age. He even looked a bit like me. But that can't be, can it?

We know Corran's past, which also means we know who his real grandfather was. And while Corran questions whether or not the hologram really showed his father as a little boy with his actual grandfather, we know that at that point Corran had know knowledge of who he was. If he were said to have seen the image for the very first time in I, Jedi, after learning the truth of who he was, there would have been no doubt in Corran's mind that it was his father. As it says above, Corran had seen holos of his old man at the same age as was shown in that image. Despite his questioning, Corran would recoginize what he looked like. The only reason for him to question the image is because he'd never heard that his father had known any Jedi, much less trained with one.

The scene does demonstrate a mistake on the part of the OS. And there is nothing to say that they did not make a mistake concerning whether Isard is alive or not. Someone reads the apparent death scene and sees that she does not turn up again so it seems pretty clear that she is dead. But while Loor's death scene is written in a similar manner, he is confirmed as being dead. If his death were another fake, then he would have ended up showing up at Tycho's trial to prove Tycho's innocence. But he wasn't needed for that as that was done by Corran.

20. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Heh Heh Heh Heh, [face_laugh], :D, We know now.

21. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    They lost the Lusankya short before BFC.

And the circumstances were that embarrasing, that they claimed Mon Mothma ordered the ship to be scrapped six years prior.

Thats my personal theory (otherwise by now they should have put the ship out of the mothbox in the NJO). Besides BFC makes clear, that when the NR discovers the Intimidator, the NR has nothing, that equalled the SSD.

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Lusankya is in Aaron Allston's Rebel Dream, according to the dramatis persona, actually. So now it is in action in the NJO.

23. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    Yep and we cant wait for it to kick some butt.

24. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Lusankya in "Dramitis personae"???

Well, its about time.

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ya, someone put up the dramatis persona and it had so and so, "Captain of the Lusankya".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.