main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Where's the Subscribe Button? A Podcast Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Nov 27, 2013.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hm. Guess it was posted in December, but I might want to check out the Byzantine thing. Doubt it'll be anything new, but I could always be surprised and if it's entertaining then that's good enough.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Eh it can be. Basically what they do is review the films in an order that goes first, last, and works back in that order. So, Dr No -> Skyfall -> From Russia, With Love -> Quantum of Solace -> Goldfinger etc.

It can be funny, occasionally Matt Gourley will do an impression of Ian Fleming which isn't accurate but is amusing. Some of the trivia's amusing but Mira is just so wrong so often. He thinks Daniel Craig is saying "Mum" when he says "ma'am", as the latter is correctly pronounced "maarm". He keeps referring to Sir Ian Fleming. He gets years and characters wrong a lot. And he likes Roger Moore.

blubeast1237 likes this.
  3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    So when I was on vacation I had to get a haircut. I pulled into the first place I saw. What I walked into was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen: Sport Clips. This week, Uhh Yeah Dude talked about it. I yelled "I go there!" at my computer.

P.S. I don't actually go there. I did go there. It is a silly place.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I've been listening to the Nerdist podcast, and the most recent was an interview with Bill Gates (plus two key figures in the Foundation). Obviously Gates was a bit of a public enemy in the late 90s, early 00s but he's a compelling figure to listen to here. Not only does he have a good sense of humour but the approach with the Foundation is brilliant and a solid example.

Highly recommend it.

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

UYD headsssssss

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    having become a veteran listener of a couple comedy podcasts, a bunch of leftist politics/philosophy podcasts and a few npr, magazine-style podcasts, ive decided to dip my toe in the waters of history podcasting. tried to listen to hardcore history but "NEW MEDIA PERSONALITY" dan carlin makes me want to kill myself (seriously, what kind of ******* refers to themselves that way?), so im listening to an unfortunately rather sparsely updated history of iran podcast and a podcast on the history of the english language instead. they're both quite rigorous, informative, and interesting

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Really... you can't handle Carlin? He's the best at what he does.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Rogue_Ten like this.
  8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    sorry, its too "history channel" for me. would rather listen to something with a bit more rigor and a bit less gimmick

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Did you get further than 10mins in?!

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    lol i listened to a couple fo the khans ones. he has a freemium model (another thing i hate) so i couldnt start with the first episode or anything

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Oh wow, Epi 1 is paid now? Sadface. That series is amazing.

I'm only surprised because I'd have thought it was right up your alley.

Surprised. Not disappointed. Sur

Prised.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i mean i could torrent it but there's so many free and easily/legally available history podcasts that interest me so probably not. i might give it another try at some point tho, since you recommend it so highly and you like some good stuff ;)

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think I want to do a podcast with Jabba, called "It's the end of the world as we know it" in which we calmly discuss impending food shortages, energy crisis, and global warming.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i will guest to provide radical left perspective if/when you require it

lol that sa'naa is already embroiled in civil war and they havent even run out of water yet (which they will in like 3-5 years)

15. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    why am i able to stream War of the Khans 1 on iTunes fo free

16. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Dan Carlin's batman voice is annoying.

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

because that's like episode 40 something. i meant the first episode of the whole podcast. if i cant easily access the entire backlog of a podcast, its a big factor in turning me off to said podcast. the only podcast i listen to where i dont have (by hook or by crook) access to the complete backlog is The C-Realm, which is highly topical and has had the host undergo a major philosophical transformation from lolbertarian in the early episodes to anti-capitalist in the later episodes, so the show is so different at this point that a backlog doesnt really matter unless you want to track his ideological development

im neurotic. bite me

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Paywalls on podcasts are the absolute worst. I can understand, say, Patreon bonuses or early access, but if I'm trying to recommend a philosophy podcast to a friend I really can't do so in good conscience if I know the episodes on ****ing Hume and Kant are behind a fee. Not that I'm naming names, Partially Examined Life.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    hey ramza have you seen History of Philosophy (HoP)? it looks interesting, and at 209 episodes it hasnt even reached kant and hume (its chronological and completist, lol)

seems like an interesting undertaking :p

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    This'd be Without Any Gaps? I got up into the depths of Aristotle and kind of lost interest. It's well made but dry, and is much more concerned with relaying details than providing extra insight or responses to the text. Probably worth trying out, see if it's your bag. It will test the utmost limits of your tolerances for Pre-Socratic scholarship, though.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Eh, I understand why this high quality, polished podcasts will charge on older episodes - sponsors only go so far to covering costs.

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    understanding it doesnt make it less of a turn off for me tbqh. like i said, its a matter of neuroses and convenience :p

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Carlin podcasts aren't sequential though. I mean, there are some multiparters like the Punic Wars, fall of the Republic, Mongols, and WWI -- but like, other than that it doesn't matter. He hops from subject to subject at his whim.

Anyway, I found them entertaining enough. I disagree with several of his historical interpretations, but he does a good job at blending Great Man with more modern styles of historiography instead of taking sides (which is good for a popular narrative, which is exactly what it is -- he makes no pretense at scholarship).

I enjoyed the History of Rome podcasts. The guy (especially early on) sometimes doesn't know what he's talking about, and he's very very poor at Latin pronunciation so it's the definition of popular. But he goes from 753BC to 476AD in a ton of episodes, so he's got detail and he uses primary sources often enough that I'm ok with his occasional lack of immersion in the period. He had a followup podcast about the English, American and French revolutions which is a lot less ambitious in scale and doesn't have much new for those who already know the score -- but he's going into a lot more depth on the French at least, so it's been entertaining.

Both podcasts are sufficient to pass time on the metro, which is my main goal.

24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah ive heard good things about THoR and its on my "to check out" list

25. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I had the same knee jerk reaction to Carlin as RT and bailed.

I know I should give it a fair chance but I'm always behind on my other history podcasts anyway. One day.

Edit- the Revolutions podcast mentioned by Jello being one of them.