main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Where's the Subscribe Button? A Podcast Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, the premise for any project is gonna be flawed. And I've discovered a ****ton of great podcasts using this methodology as well. I'll stick with it. I mean, it's not like I listen to the whole run of the show. I listened to five episodes of Catholic Rockers, which was like two or maybe two-and-a-half hours. But I think five episodes is a fair sample on which to judge a show. One episode, well, any show can have an off episode. But by the time you're five episodes in, I think you've got data for a fair judgment.

You know what, I'm gonna check my numbers . . . okay, so far I've discovered 54 shows that I would recommend, so three stars and above. That's hardly indicative of a completely failed system.

But thank you.

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    hey rogue, (and everyone else), put down that 7th day adventist comedy sportz podcast for an hour and listen to the latest This American Life episode instead. #586: Who Do We Think We Are. it's dope. the first main segment is a personal story from Mariya Karimjee about FGM, female sexuality, culture, and mothers & daughters. had me bawling by the end.

if you dont have their feed in your podcatcher, you can get it from the website. but hurry, they only have one episode outside the paywall per week, and im not sure how long ive been sitting on this one for, a few days at least.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Rogue Number Ten, you broke the cardinal rule of Rogue1.5 reviews: You talked about something people would actually listen to.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Coming from Mr Christmas Music himself, this is rich.

Maik, I will get to it soon promise.

5. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    apparently the story was adapted from a slightly longer piece on a podcast called The Heart (episode is called "Mariya"), which takes the urgency out of my post. that podcast is not paywalled

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I mean that sounds interesting but, on the other hand, comedy sports from people who go to church on Saturday? OUTRAGEOUS!

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    improv is the nadir of human artistic expression

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I did listen to it, it was very good. But all TALs are on their website for free. I'm currently back in 2007.

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Is that true? When did that happen... I mean it makes sense cuz npr, but...

I'm back in the 90s with my old timey tals but I'm going off a torrent

10. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    If he listened to that German grammar podcast and is still going, I don't think there's any talking him out of it.

11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    what's amazing is that he's defending it. can't even admit he has a problem

12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Is this project an excuse to avoid thinking about something else? [face_thinking] You know that's not healthy, Rogue.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    You guys shouldn't be so critical. Maybe this is just a test run; a public training ground. Maybe he's known for years or at least months about the most important reviews he will ever write, and so he's set up all this as a prelude to make sure he has the requisite skills for when the time comes. If that were the case, wouldn't you all be supportive in retrospect?

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I've only recently started listening to podcasts (mostly in the gym and while doing laundry). This American Life is what got me into it.

What I just started listening to is The West Wing Weekly. (I don't think I've seen anyone mention it, apologies if I missed it!) It's hosted by Josh Malina (who was on The West Wing) and Hrishikesh Hirway who is a composer/musician and a huge fan. They just started in March and are doing one episode a week. They also are going to have people who were on the show or had something to do with it. Dule Hill was on episode 3, Janel Moloney (Donna) was on episode 6. I've only listened to 3 episodes, but it's quite a bit of fun so far.

I'm a very new convert to The West Wing (about to start season 4), but they said they aren't going to do spoilers for future episodes. So if you are like me and haven't watched it, you should! And listen to the podcast!

15. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    Are you really trying to defend him listening to Todd Rundgren right now?

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I am defending everything with the explicit exception of Todd Rundgren. There is no defense for that.

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    How is it you people have managed to create drama in a podcast review thread?

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
  19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i assume someone with a speech impediment was in charge when the Lundgren family came to ellis island

20. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    (Alice Isn't Dead update: I tried listening to it while on a long drive this weekend, but kept losing track of the story. I liked the tone of it, but it needs to be something I listen to not while driving, so I'll give it another chance this week.)

Okay, I've decided we're all going to save Rogue1-and-a-half from himself with a game called "Podcast Roulette" or maybe "Come On, These HAVE To Be Better Than Catholic Rock and German Grammar." or just "Try This Instead." idk, we can finalize the name later.

Everyone link Rogue to one podcast episode you find noteworthy or worth listening to that he should listen to instead of one of his "award winning" crap podcasts. I guess he doesn't have to agree to the terms of the new game, but we have nothing to lose by trying. AND it has the added benefit of maybe exposing some of the rest of us to interesting stuff. I'll start with something I've already mentioned in here:

1) Mystery Show - Belt Buckle
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  22. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
  23. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm pretty sure I've said repeatedly that I have a problem. :p

That said, the project is very defensible. I don't see the logical problem with starting with Best of the Year winners when looking for good podcasts. I mean, it's not foolproof, but it's like the Oscars. I mean, if you want to see a lot of great movies, you could do a lot worse than starting with the Oscar nominees; sure, you'll find a lot of crap that way, but you'll also find a lot of really great stuff that you might not have otherwise heard of.

And I would just venture to say that I've discovered a ton of great podcasts that I never would have listened to without this project. The 4Player Network show is a great example. I wouldn't have ever gone looking for video game podcasts to listen to, but this one got on my list as part of this project and I'm beyond glad that it did. Not only did I fall in love with immediately, it also genuinely reignited a passion for video games that had lain dormant for something like fifteen years and I'm actually playing video games again. I found Comedy Bang Bang, Doug Loves Movies, Alcohollywood, Caustic Soda, Alan Watts, the Brownworth oeuvre, Democracy Now, countless others. I mean, would I have gone looking for an Alan Watts podcast before seeing it on my list? Get this: I had no idea who Alan Watts even was before I made my list. I mean, I feel like listening to Alan Watts for a couple of years now has genuinely made me a better person, actually changed my life. And, to this day, no one has ever mentioned him to me; I'd never have found that show via personal recommendations. And if I have to listen to five episodes of a program about German grammar in order to stumble across hours and hours and hours of life-changing spiritual insight, I'll do it. Yes, it's a weird project (but aren't they all) and I've found a ton of crap, but I refuse to call anything that introduced me to both Analyze Phish and Hardcore History a failure. I've gained infinitely more from this project than I've lost.

That said, I like this podcast roulette idea. I mean, sorry, I'm not stopping the other project; like I said, for all the nonsense I've encountered, I consider it a success already. And much as I respect everyone in this thread, I just get the feeling that there's a lot of good stuff, no, actually, great stuff on that list that no one here would recommend. I don't want to miss another 4Player or Back to Work. Another Alan Watts might be right around the corner. I might find a show tomorrow that I'll be listening to for a decade. I'm telling you, the project remains, on the whole, a great idea and a great experience.

But again, the podcast roulette is awesome; hopefully, you don't mind me adding it on instead of replacing. I'll keep you guys posted as I listen to the episodes. The Mystery Show is already on my list (it's an award-winner; see, some of them are worthy!), but I'll go ahead and check out the episode you posted instead of waiting until I get to it on the list. Oh, yeah, Beautiful Anonymous is another one I've been meaning to get into. Earwolf's a great network.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  25. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Yeah, but this is like you're watching movies which won Best Key Grip just because they won an award.

I think you can pretty much filter out anything which is in a language you don't understand, for example. It's okay to have some kind of filter.