main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Where's the Subscribe Button? A Podcast Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Wisely is the first option, for the record.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    DarthIntegral likes this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Glad you're enjoying it. He just released his audio commentary that you can listen to while watching Star Wars A New Hope with him. I don't know if I'm going to do it, but I may try. His most recent episode is an interview with the people who did Frozen and Coco. The first part was mostly about Frozen and the Broadway show. I'm guessing part 2 will discuss Coco which should be out tomorrow.

Like I said before the genius of this podcast started with Star Wars Oxygen and there are some great gems in there. Even Robert Lopez praises them as inspiration when trying to come up with new Frozen songs for the Broadway show.
    http://www.rebelforceradio.com/star-wars-oxygen/

TX-20 likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Thanks for the recommendation.

(I admit though I'm confused why Katrina vanden Heuvel spells her surname like than. Should be van den Heuvel...)

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    She's probably just picking her battles as far as people getting her name correctly in America. Once they spell Heuvel right, she just lets it go. :p

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Today’s Top Tune

Studio: KCRW
    Category: Music

What Is It
    A song a day.

Technical Details
    The official site is your only real option here. iTunes hasn’t updated since January. There’s a new song every day and it’s available for download for 24 hours; you can still stream it after that period, but not download. Sound quality is great.

What About It
    We’ve talked about these kind of shows before and this one has one deficiency in comparison to some of the others, which is that there isn’t a downloadable archive. On the equivalent show from KEXP, for instance, you can go back into the archive and download tracks from years ago. But this show has a big benefit as well; the selection is better. The songs selected come from an insanely wide range of genres and styles, for one thing. For another, you get songs on this show that are very hard, or impossible, to find elsewhere; some of them are live tracks that aren’t being released anywhere else or remixes that are difficult to find elsewhere. That’s appreciated. Higher song quality; lower song availability. Your mileage may vary on that.

4 stars.

Essential If
    You’ve got four to five minutes a day that you can free up.

Avoid Like the Plague If
    Your preference is to listen to podcast episodes precisely fifteen months after they’re released.

Best Starting Place
    Obviously, today.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Does that even count as a podcast? Someone talking about their song for 30 seconds, and then the song...and that’s it?

I know technically it is a podcast, but meh.

Have you listened to Caliphate, @Rogue1-and-a-half ? That’s one you can really get lost in, and is by an extremely brave woman.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I feel like this is begging to trigger something like that epic multi-page rant a couple years ago about "What even is [some form of media]?" It was either because television reviews were being posted in the movie thread or vice versa, but the result when someone questioned it was incredible.

Caliphate is also quite enjoyable. The first bit is okay but pretty generic coverage of the appeal of radical extremists groups. Once the interviews start, though, it hits it stride and never really looks back.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I don’t know if I hate you or love you.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Right. It's the reason the "Last Television Episode" thread was created. I was posting tv reviews in the movie thread because, well, they're on the Internet Movie Database. And . . . anyway I ended up threatening to kill myself. Because that seems like a proportional response. I think that's one time I was actually banned for bad behavior (and not a game). Rightfully so. Very nice outpouring of love and support from the community when I returned since they recognized that my reaction was clearly motivated by some other. very serious emotional issues I was going through. Very gracious. Rough night. Pretty rough night. Hilarious in retrospect, as most JCC meltdowns are. I will forever remember Boba_Fett_2001 entering the movie thread after all of my numerous, profanity laced posts had been edited and, apparently not being used to seeing about thirty posts in a row from me be edited for content, just said something akin to "what the hell is even going on?"

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think I remember that. His reaction was pretty funny

12. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    How can I reread this

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Just navigate the old last movie thread and may god have mercy on your soul.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Juliet316 like this.
  14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I (shockingly) don't remember this but it sounds like something I'd say. Gonna have to find it now....brb.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Bacon164 likes this.
  15. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Links

Although so much of it will be gone and edited anyway :(

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh yeah I was the acting mod on that one, huh?

18. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    it's all gone

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, I forgot it was you too, Ramza. I think I thought it was Schwarz because he was the one who sent me a scathing PM about the whole thing which was exactly the "grow up and stop being a jerk" slap in the face I needed.

But, yes, it's too bad that all those things just get lost when they get edited. It would be so much fun to be able to actually read them later in a private forum or something once all the actual bad feelings have dissipated. I know I'd love to read all the garbage I was spewing. I feel like I made a thread called "The Rogue1-and-a-half is an ******* All Purpose Thread" or something that was outside the movie thread. It probably got deleted too.

EDIT: Wasn't quite on point with the 2001 quote, but I was close. "Jesus....wtf happened here?"

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Don’t worry, it’s all in your user notes

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I found a new/rebooted podcast, Courtside Seats . It’s not quite as heavy as Buzz Beat, it gets more into the personal aspects of Hornets players and staff and less into game strategies and particulars, so I can enjoy both podcasts for different reasons.

23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Thankfully we can have a civil good conversation about podcasts here and other users can post one or two word responses in "What's the last thing you consumed through your ear holes" thread.

Personally, I got tired of the one or two word answers in
    What was the last tv episode you watched?
    and found this old thread and resurrected it on June 18th to encourage some sort of discussion.
    Airwaves, Streams, Fibers & Cords: General TV Discussion

Kind of the same with exists with
    What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)
    verses

At The Movies (film discussion thread)

But even the latter is more posting on what is going to be coming out instead of a discussion of a particular film a user recently experienced. Sometimes it's a little tricky to find where the conversation is happening, especially when you have the general Marvel thread talking all Marvel movies and future ones as well as a specific thread for a specific Marvel movie i.e. Black Panther or Ant-Man.

I'm all for a consolidation of some threads to help lower the "spam", yet I can appreciate other small threads depending on the topic.
    Sometimes it's hard to have a discussion when there's too much noise about other things going on. I digress.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I expected the At the Movies thread to get locked when it first started. But I've come to enjoy it a lot as a very different thread than the What Movie thread. It is, as you say, a place to discuss upcoming movies, but we've also had discussions about bigger picture issues, like movie subscription plans, whether Netflix movies should "count" as "movies," etc. Those wouldn't have happened in the What Movie thread and they also aren't really big enough to justify their own threads. I like At the Movies as a nice catch-all.

Juliet316 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    [​IMG]

Keith & the Girl Comedy Talk Show

Studio: Comedians Keith Malley & Chemda
    Category: Comedy

What Is It
    A couple of comedians shoot the **** with various guests.

Technical Details
    This show drops a solid hour-and-change episode four to five days a week, so don’t act like they never gave you nothin’. The iTunes archive (read: free) goes back to June of 2017, which, given the show’s crazy release schedule is almost 250 episodes. If you want the full archive, which goes back years, check out the original site, provided you’re ready to get behind a paywall.

What About It
    Not entirely sure why I’m as lukewarm on this show as I am. I tend to enjoy loose-limbed, rambling comedy podcasts and that’s what this is for sure, but somehow it just never quite caught fire for me in the episodes I listened to. The show might be heavily guest dependent; Keith & Chemda have a fun chemistry, but sometimes it seemed like the guest was just kind of getting in the way. Regardless, this one wasn’t particularly bad, just kind of . . . flat to me. Average as these things go as far as I can tell. The show’s been around since early days in the existence of podcasts, so what do I know?

2 stars.

Essential If
    You’ve been waiting for a show with a host named Chemda.

Avoid Like the Plague If
    You’re me?

Best Starting Place
    Couldn’t tell you. You’ve got 250 free episodes to choose from; that should be enough to figure out if you want to go VIP or not.