main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Whey were the female Rebel pilots cut out of RotJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by waheennay, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I was surprised to find a picture in Hyperspace of a female Rebel pilot that was edited out of the space battle in Return of the Jedi. Sorry, but I can't post an image from Hyperspace. She's wearing the big helmet with the Rebel insignias on both sides and she looks like she's inside the cockpit of an X-wing. I wonder why they didn't include those shots of women during the battle? I know there were also cut scenes of a Rebel manning the gunport of the Millenium Falcon and General Madine on the Home One bridge, but I think seeing female pilots in the Rebellion would have been nice.

2. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I never heard of that one. If it's a real pic then good find.
    There weren't too many women or minorities in the OT.
    Being that it's the 90's and 2000's, the PT has had more women and minorities in it. I remember there being a woman in TPM, fighting against the Trade Federation.

3. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    and General Madine on the Home One bridge,

General Madine wasn't on Home One's bridge. He was in command of a similar battle cruiser.

4. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    You can actually see a small portion of the pic on the home page of the Official site right now.

5. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Have you ever seen a women in a SUV? That's dangerous enough now you want to put one behind the stick of a X-Wing?
    **hides from the flames**

Just kidding. I couldn't resist. :D

It is kind of odd that Leia and Mon Mothma were the only women, oh ya the Ion cannon girl too, in the rebellion. I guess we'll have to chalk it up to equality in Hollywood in the 80's.

I don't know maybe Luke kept getting crushes on them and chased them all away.

6. MILO_BLOOM

MILO_BLOOM Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2002
    Five words:
    Deanna Troi, Star Trek: Generations

;)

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Interesting. A shame that they did not include that scene in the movie. It would've been really nice to see some female pilots.

8. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Deanna Troi, Star Trek: Generations

[face_laugh] AND she wrecked the ship again in 'Nemesis'. The actress complained in an interview: "Why do they make my character crash the ship everytime she's at the helm?" :p

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Because she's not capable of doing anything else on the bridge, except maybe saying "I sense hostility!" after the Enterprise has been shot at. [face_laugh]

Ahhhh well. :D It's interesting that scene was shot, but I don't think Lucas should have left it in if he felt it was unnecessary just because there was a woman in it. I'm not a PC-basher at all; I think it is important. But it doesn't have to be the primary goal of a filmmaker.

10. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Maybe Lucas did not want this vision of the Rebellion being egalitarian, while the Empire was sexist. I know this is a big deal in the EU, but perhaps Lucas wanted to accentuate on the Empire being evil on issues besides gender.

11. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    I'm not a PC-basher at all

I am! I'll give the PC brigade a good pounding any day!

12. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Actually, I always thoguht that A-Wing pilot who says "Got it" after Wedge orders "Red 3, Red 2, pull in." was a woman.

In real life, women actually make better pilots and gunners than men, statistically. They have better reflexes and hand-eye coordination. So we should have seen more female pilots around.

Give ROTJ some credit, though...we see a black dude who isn't Cloud-City oriented and we see an Asian dude, too. True, when we see them they're being blown away, but Lucas was trying...

13. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    "I wonder why they didn't include those shots of women during the battle? "

It was Mara Jade and she used her amazing powers of the Retcon to insert herself some 15 odd years later to the battle of the DSII :D

It probably just got edited for time or flow, the scene was might've been unnecessary, or whatever. I'm guessing there are probably a few more pilot cockpit shots that just didn't make it past the cutting room floor. I have no proof of that, I'm just surmising.

14. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Hmmm, she looks kinda hot :D

Mind you, for years now I've had this thing about wanting to see Jennifer Aniston in a Stormtrooper outfit...

...I just said that out loud didn't I?

:p {||||| ?||} -----------------------------

15. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Could've sworn there was a female pilot amongst the Rebel fleet in ROTJ...

16. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Maybe Lucas did not want this vision of the Rebellion being egalitarian, while the Empire was sexist. I know this is a big deal in the EU, but perhaps Lucas wanted to accentuate on the Empire being evil on issues besides gender.

You know, that's a good point. What do you suppose the gender ratio is in the average army today (excluding that of countries such as Israel, which drafts women)?

Maybe there just weren't many women who wanted to be fighter pilots in the GFFA.

17. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    I want a link to this picture, please! Tried to find it on Hyperspace but couldn't.

18. waheennay

Sep 29, 2000
    It's in the photoreceptor section of HYPERSPACE. There's a cool new pic there of Vader throwing the Emperor into abyss taken from a different angle.

19. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Why were the female Rebel pilots cut out of RotJ?

Because they were supposed to be at home making the tea :p

20. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    "Maybe there just weren't many women who wanted to be fighter pilots in the GFFA. "

They were all waiting on a spot in Ion Control to open up. Why fly fighters when you can blast Star Destroyers from planetside?

21. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    In real life, women actually make better pilots and gunners than men, statistically. They have better reflexes and hand-eye coordination. So we should have seen more female pilots around.

Ever watch a woman play a video game? I mean a real woman, not some dude pretending to be a chick when playing Quake III online.

Thats hogwash.

22. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    In one of Stansweet's toy books (I think the Action Figure Archive) he mentions a female A-wing pilot as well, but for the life of me I've never seen her.

23. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "I remember there being a woman in TPM, fighting against the Trade Federation."

Lucas toyed around with the idea of Dooku's character being a woman.

"True, when we see them they're being blown away, but Lucas was trying..."...to get rid of all the non-whites as cannon fodder in these scenes. [face_devil]

"not some dude pretending to be a chick when playing Quake III online." [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Meet many of them, do you? (Sounds like an excuse used when beaten by a "chick" ;) )

24. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    male OR female
    the more rebels we got to see in ROTJ the merrier, since it was their final stand and greatest victory
    but ROTJ is my favorite and I adore it completely so I wouldn't ask it to be any different
    although it'd still be amazing to see any deleted or rare footage from it....and then of course just watch the original final cut the way it should always be remembered :)

25. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    ALSO....I think they decided just to settle for the pilot who Kamakazeed into the Super Star Destroyer
    I mean it totally looked like that guy wore eye-liner lol
    then again it was the 80's ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.