main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Which 2004 blockbuster season movie are you most looking forward to?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, May 12, 2004.

?

Which 2004 blockbuster season movie are you most looking forward to?

Poll closed Jul 26, 2004.
  1. Van Helsing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Troy

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. The Day After Tomorrow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Harry Potter III

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  5. Spider Man 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Shrek 2

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  7. I Robot

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. Another one, not listed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    I'd be in. I'd prefer the CBD rather than Newmarket. You can usually get a pack cheap/free on a Sunday in the city, and with Borders right next door there's always an easy meeting place. Plus, the seats and sound are far better at the Queen St. cinemas than the Broadway ones.

I am phobic about Newmarket.

2. Kazzy

Kazzy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 17, 2002
    Umm, I have exams on the 19th and 22nd, but I guess I could take a short break to see Shrek 2! :) Either town or newmarket is fine by me, but they keep threatenign to shut Newmarket down for rebuilding. It's still open and if you call they have no idea when they're going to close it, but they might.

-Kazzy

3. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    They're not listing any times for Shrek 2 or HP at Newmarket on the Village website, so perhaps they are planning to close in June. Weird time to close, just when all the big movies are coming out.

I've got an exam on the morning of June 21 :oops: but I kinda figure doing something fun the afternoon before will be therapeutic.

So, Queen St it is .. we'll say meeting 1pm in the Borders Cafe.

Or maybe "meet at 1pm in front of the Star Wars novels section. password: 'where are we?' response: '3263827" :-B ;)

4. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    those are the kind of random comments that scare me about meeting internet people. I mean, just look at the one's that have met each other in the south island. :p

Speaking of which... might meet Norrad soon. BEWARE DUNNERS. [face_beatup]

5. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    So many new smilies :eek:

My last exam's on the last day, which is 26th--it's a saturday too :\. I suppose I can make it on the weekend before that.

I've been lurking for a month!!!

6. Kazzy

Oct 17, 2002
    Poor you. I've had exams on that last saturday before, usually I'm extremely lucky and get them on the afternoon as well :p It's nasty having to drag them out that long.

7. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I saw Harry Potter 3 last night. It's shorter than the other two, which was just as well, because the under 8's in the audience were getting pretty tired and scratchy during the last ten minutes.

There was a lot of highly stylized camera work, hinting at the arthouse background of the director. The 'into-the-mirror' shot when during the Bogart scene was my fav. He seems to like shooting scenes on slopes, too ... Hagrid's hutt is now at the bottom of a steep slope, as is the Whomping Willow (which is awesome in this movie ... provides lots of comic relief. Only in Harry Potter could a tree work as your comic relief.)

I think the ending of the 2nd book was the more cinematic, with Harry vs the Basilisk, but the ending here worked better than I expected, due to great acting.

8. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    I'm going to see it tonight ... I really liked the cinematography of "Y Tu Mama Tanbien", so I'm expecting good things. Plus, of the five books, this is my favourite.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    >> (which is awesome in this movie ... provides lots of comic relief. Only in Harry Potter could a tree work as your comic relief.) <<

Ahem. Treebeard.

10. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I'll have to take your word for it, because I don't know this Treebeard you speak of. Sounds like something for celebrity death match, though ... 'the battle of the silver screen trees'.

11. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Kitt, have you still not seen any Lord Of The Rings films?

Can you please offer us, the jury, an explanation of less than 200 words describing your reasons for this misdemeanour?

Thank you.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > I'll have to take your word for it, because I don't know this Treebeard you speak of.

:eek:

I say again, :eek:

13. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Darn, will I now have to return my lifetime membership card to geeks anonymous?
    I did see the first one, and I've read The Hobbit and a third and a bit of LOTR. The other two I was planning to watch in the uni AV library sometime. I have to select some films to write on for my NZ Film exam, so I could always do those, I guess ... but they lumped all three into one lecture/exam choice, and the lecturers apathy towards them makes me a little wary of what they might come up with for the question.

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    That doesn't explain why you havn't heard of Treebeard. Quickbeam perhaps?

See the movies!

15. Kazzy

Oct 17, 2002
    Saw HP3 last night. I liked it, but I think I'm going to have to see it again. I kept going "but it didn't go like that..." or "they left that bit out..." Too close to the book I think I need to see it again. but not til it comes out on video - $14 for a movie?!

Kitt, if you like when I finally get around to returning your tape to you, I have LoTR 2 the extended version, I can lend it to you. Let me know if you want. I've been forbidden from buying the third until the extended version comes out, so I don't have that to lend. Let me know if you like.

16. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Thanks for offer, Kazzy, but I'm thinking I'll hire them at the local video place for viewing over this weekend. My exam for NZ film is on Wednesday, so I haven't got much time to cram in all my exam films. I guess I should be grateful I'm not an English student, or I'd probably be trying to cram in a pile of books before my exam.

I don't really mind when movie adaptions cut things out of the book, because its true that some things just don't translate well, from page to screen. What really annoys me is when they mangle characters. I'm just grateful they've by and large stayed faithful to them in the HP adaptions.

I always felt they mangled Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka character completely in the musical adaption they did. They're doing another version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for a 2005 release, and Johnny Depp has been signed to play Wonka. Hopefully they might try and get back to the original spirit of the book.

17. AnariaZar-Rel

AnariaZar-Rel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2004
    I took my daughter to Shrek 2 this morning - I enjoyed it. A good sequel - the cgi work is better, rain and hair etc. The story was a good continuation of the first. My daughter loved Puss in Boots (or 'the cat with the boots and the hat and sword' as she calls him). I saw the little stormtrooper helmet too :) We went to the 10.30am session to avoid the crowds, and I'm glad I did - hardly anyone there, but the later sessions were all sold out. My poor brother always gets the shifts on opening day (he was surprised by the number of adults dressed up as Harry Potter when the latest one came out).

I would have waited to see it on Sunday with the FF group, but I can't get to town very easily (no car) and no one to babysit.

I've also seen Troy and Day After Tomorrow. I enjoyed both; nothing else out at the moment really interests me. Looking forward to Spiderman 2 though.

18. Kazzy

Oct 17, 2002
    Do you realise that my sister hadn't read Puss in Boots until about two weeks ago? She came home and told me all about it, and how much she loved.

I was shocked. At work the kids used to make me read it at least twice a week!

But honestly? I remember reading it as a kid. I swear. How on earth does she not? She's not that much younger than me!

Ahhhhhhhhh! English exams! What kind of monster would make a Shakespeare exam worth 75%? What kind of idiot would do a Shakespeare paper that had an exam worth 75%?

*dies a loud and painful death*

19. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Glad you enjoyed Shrek 2, Ana (I'm still in the habit of called you 'purple', lol). I'm looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. BTW, if transport is ever a problem for these fanforce gatherings, and you'd like to come, I'd be happy to give you a ride, and your daughter is always welcome :)

Well tomorrow is the day for Shrek 2 ... I'm planning on being there early, as I have a few things to in town first. I'll drop you guys an email to let you know my mobile no in case you're running late and can't find anyone. Winter, is your email still linda_haha@hotmail.com? Cause that's where I'm sending the email ...

20. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Kitt,

It'd been so long since this was discussed I assumed it wasn't on anymore. Annoyingly, two of my friends are getting married on Sunday ... it was at short notice, as his parents decided to come from overseas to visit him, so he & his girlferiend decided they may as well tie the knot when everyones' around.

Hope you guys have a wile & crazy time ...

L

21. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    That's cool. Are you other two still going to make it, or do you need the study time?

22. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Ok, got a txt from Winter to say she'll be there. How about Kazzy?

23. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Shrek 2 was pretty good, I thought. Puss in Boots was adorable. Antonio Banderas [face_love]

24. Kazzy

Oct 17, 2002
    I thought it was great! Not as good as the first one, but that would be next to impossible. And I adored Puss-in-Boots! :D

25. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, I saw it on Friday night (last night my g'f was in NZ :( she was really keen to see it). It was great, I loved it. Puss-in-boots was halarious.

I knew Donkey would be a steed. Funny stuff and awesome graphics, maw gawd!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.