main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which actor/Jedi has the best presence? Forget Sith for right now...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by LORDeron_MAULer, Apr 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    Few have been those actors fortuante enough to wield the glorious glowing swords. Now who has doen the best job at being a Jedi? With their stature, mannerisms, presence, and all around Jedi acting who is the best Jedi. I think Lian Neesan as Qui Gon Jinn has the best Jedi presence. Ewan Mgregor as his apprentice was also pretty good. Samiel L Jackson kinda good too i guess. i found Luke and anikan a little annoying. how about everyoen elese?

2. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    Well, I can`t really decide between:
    Liam Neeson (Qui-Gon Jinn)
    Ewan McGregor (Ep2 Obi-Wan)
    Alec "hislastnameeludesmerightnow" (OT Obi-Wan)

All of them are really great Jedis!

3. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    "Alec 'hislastnameeludesmerightnow'"

I see you are not a connoisseur of swilling beer from across the pond (from the American vantage point, that is).

4. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    Alec Guinness is pretty good also, but my favorite is still Liam Neesan, and his perhaps his padwan. Yoda is really cool aslo but he isn't an actual actor person.

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Qui-Gon Jinn is my favorite Jedi. It most likely has to do with the way Liam portrays him. He just gives that air of being a truly compassionate and at the same time very powerful person.

6. Force_Prophet

Force_Prophet Jedi Master star 3

Apr 9, 2003
    Liam Neeson- Qui-Gon. Liam always brings a strong presence to a film. I can never forget the Sith, so that being said I belive that Mr. Lee (Dooku) is hands down the strongest actor chosen to portray a Jedi/Sith role in the movies to date.

7. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Liam, Alec, and Ewen are all great. Very hard to choose between the three.

8. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    I think Liam does a great job. Qui-Gon is a controlled, peaceful character but he kicks major booty with the lightsaber.

I also found Luke to be clumsy and awkward fighting with the lightsaber. Even in ROTJ, he gives off a sort of uncontrolled power. Anakin is a little better, but he also has this almost ruthless power. Qui-Gon is more ... styled, I guess. Vader too, but he's a Sith.

9. FogeyKenobi

FogeyKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2003
    Alec Guinness is my favorite, probably because he's the first Jedi seen.

Liam Neeson was superb also.

10. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Liam Neeson or Hayden Christensen. When they walk in to a room, you watch. When one of them speaks, you listen.

11. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I think I would pretty much echo FogeyKenobi's thoughts. Alec's definitely at the top of my list if for nothing else than he was the original Jedi master, but Liam did an extremely good job of portraying what was probably the quintessential Jedi.

I'd also throw in Sam Jackson as Mace. We didn't see much of him, but he definitely had a presence to him. You knew that this wasn't a Jedi to meddle with.

12. YodaDaMan13

YodaDaMan13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    I would have to say Liam as QGJ. He did an excellent job portraying the Jedi as they were. But I know I have to forget about the siths....But Ray Park was sweet.

13. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Yes, yes he was. [face_mischief]

But that's another thread entirely. ;)

14. The_Mandalorian

The_Mandalorian Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2003
    Alec, as others have said, was the first Jedi Master we knew, and he set a benchmark that is being followed right up through the prequels. Also, I think Liam drew from Alec's performance a lot when preparing for the role of Qui-Gon. You can see a lot of parellels between the characters, if you watch closely. They don't speak much, but when they do, everyone listens. Also, Liam's "contemplative gaze" in TPM is absolutely 100% Alec. And people talk about how intense Qui-Gon is with a lightsaber, when he needs to be, but I think people don't give Alec enough credit there. Watch his saber duel with Vader in ANH again, and look at Alec's eyes. That is true focus in the way only a Jedi can achieve. Total intensity. Everyone forgets just how serious and intense Obi-Wan was in that duel.

In the end, I would say Alec, because of the things I have mentioned, and, in my opinion, Alec's Obi-Wan has a sort of aura about him that's nearly indescribable. It's like a sort of otherworldly mysticism that really makes you believe that that man is a Jedi. Every time Alec is on screen, you subconciously believe in him.

15. ShadesofSiknas

ShadesofSiknas Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2002
    "Every time Alec is on screen, you subconciously believe in him."

I find that awful funny because every time he is on screen he is nearly always telling a lie.{from a certain point of view}

Darth Siknas

16. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    I believe Liam Neeson, is the best example. His posture, facial expressions when either eating dinner with Anakin plus his mother, or when fighting Darth Maul.

You cannot go wrong with classically trained actors :).

Ciou-See the Sig

17. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Sir Alec Guiness would be my first choice

Followed closely by Liam Neeson

18. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Liam is THE Jedi... Alec was the orriginal... But Frank Oz's Yoda is still the Wisest.

19. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Everyone is giving credit to Alec Guiness (rightfully so) for being the 1st jedi we encounter...But I think a bow (be it a short one) has to go to Frank Oz's fantastic portrayal of Yoda.

While only a puppet (later CGI) it's Oz's voice and inflections that build the character from wise jedi master...to laughing little muppett (come on do the "Yoda laugh" with me!!!) you know what I'm talking about.

However the physical character was brought onto the screen (puppet/CGI) it's been Frank Oz's talents that made us believe in that "great warrior" who taught us all (as an audience) how to become a jedi.

20. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Qui-Gon in TPM and Obi-Wan in AOTC definitely have that kind of Jedi presence that I'd always imagined.

Luke and Anakin are slightly different. There's a more dangerous edge to them, a slight feeling of something under the surface.

Luke's calmness in ROTJ as a fledgling Jedi Knight is unnervingly different from the Luke we're used to. And you can visibly see Anakin biting back his words at times.

21. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    Alec Guinness has the best presence overall, IMO. The scene where he first talks to Luke in the canyon is superb and in that brief scene, Alec perfectly conveys the way a Jedi should act. He set the standard for Liam, Ewan, and everyone else playing a Jedi to follow (and all of them have done a tremendous job in my mind).

Also, Mark Hamill and Hayden Christensen both have their moments. They do not always have as commanding a presence as the afformentioned actors, but at times, (in Mark's case in ROTJ when Luke refuses to strike down Vader, and in Hayden's case in the AOTC scene where Anakin confesses to Padme about slaughtering the Tuskens) they are truly great as well.

And as Krash stated, I think everyone needs to give Frank Oz the immense amount of credit he deserves for the amazing way in which he made a puppet come to life and become one of the most endearing characters in the SW universe. ;)

22. TheDiva

TheDiva Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2003
    I would say Obi-Wan and Yoda.

23. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Qui-Gon, played wonderfully by Liam Neeson!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.