main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which Beatles album is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Son of the Suns, Jul 28, 2001.

?

Which Beatles album is your favorite?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. A Hard Day's Night

4.2%
  2. Help!

3.0%
  3. Rubber Soul

5.5%
  4. Revolver

7.9%
  5. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

23.0%
  6. Magical Mystery Tour

4.8%
  7. The Beatles (The White Album)

19.4%
  8. Abbey Road

20.0%
  9. Let it Be

1.8%
  10. Other

10.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muuurgh8150

muuurgh8150 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    Sg. Pepper.

*wanders off singing Sg. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band to himself

2. DARTHSURPRISE

DARTHSURPRISE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    My vote is for Revolver
    The Beatles at their best
    After that album The Beatles seemed to be four solo artists making records together.
    On this album the were a BAND.

3. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Abbey Road [face_love]
    The second side on the record is perfection

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Abbey Road. Best. Album. Ever.

5. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    The Beatles (or The White Album) .

If only for the Eric Clapton solo in While My Guitar Gently Weeps. That and, Revolution {accoustic/electric} and 'Why don't we do it in the Road'.

Glass Onion is good too. Hey I picked the albumn for a reason, they're all good.

6. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    I voted for Sgt. Pepper's, but why does Revolver have only 5 votes? It deserves more.

7. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    i voted 'other' because i do not have a favourite Beatles album.. i love them all

8. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Beatles For Sale is best. Most people just forget that one.

9. DarthBurns

DarthBurns Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Sgt. Peppers followed closely by The White Album.

Most of the crap today is laughable in comparison.

10. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
    I posted this in my "Fans of British Music Unite!" thread. I think it's relevant here.

Here are, in my opinion, the most innovative songs The Beatles ever produced. They were certainly the most influential band of the 20th-century and these songs prove why.

She Loves You
    By: Lennon-McCartney
    Normally, love songs are written in either first person ("I love you" or "She loves me") or in the third person ("He loves her" or "She loves him). "She Loves You," however, was one of the first rock songs to use the second person as the main speaker in the lyrics. Many other song writers have used the method since.

I Feel Fine
    This is one of the first songs to purposely use feedback in the composition. This innvoationhas since been used by musicians like Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and many others.

Yesterday
    By: McCartney-Lennon
    The song uses NO drums, bass, or lead guitar. It's only Paul, his acoustic guitar, and a backing string arrangement. The string arrangement for this song gave The Beatles confidence to use more string arrangements in their later songs (like "She's Leaving Home" or Eleanor Rigby").

Norwegian Wood
    This one is the first rock song to introduce the Sitar, an Indian intrument, to Western sound. John Lennon asked George Harrison, who was currently being influenced by Ravi Shankar, to play the lead melody on the instrument. "Norwegian Wood" also allowed Harrison to incorporate Indian music styles into his song writting (see "Within You Without You" or "The Inner Light").

Tomorrow Never Knows
    "Tomorrow Never Knows" is really the first time we notice The Beatles' psychadelic and more experimental sound. The production of the song used the studio heavily. In fact, some of the sounds they made were simply cut up taped noises that they strung together.

Yellow Submarine
    After years of steadily developing a more refined, mature, and adult sound, Paul McCartney decided to go simple. "Yellow Submarine" is simply a children's song. This showed other performers that, yes, rock stars could write less serious songs, but can still have it turn out well.

Strawberry Fields Forever
    This song is the demarcation line that divides the "old" Beatles sound and the "new" Beatles sound. Lennon was taking more risks in song-writing (here, the lyrics seem as if the writer is talking to himself) and all the members were experimenting more in the studio. The evolution from "Love Me Do" to "Strawberry Fields Forever" is profoundly stark.

A Day in the Life
    The song that ends the classic Sgt. Pepper's album is also its best and most innovative. The song is divided into three parts: Lennon's vocals, McCartney's vocals, and the ending. Risky song-writing, but epic.

Happiness is a Warm Gun
    Like "A Day in the Life," this song attempts to break new ground in song composition. Lennon had 3 different songs lying around and really had no way to finish them. So, he decided to combine the three into one song. The result is brilliant and highly innovative. It directly influenced Radiohead's "Paranoid Android," a six-minute epic song that is really 3 songs in 1.

Hey Jude
    The Beatles were originally reluctant to release "Hey Jude" as a single; the song was almost 3 times as long as a normal single would be. The 7-minute song, written by McCartney about Lennon's son Julian, spends half the song with a normal Beatlesque piano composition. Then, it bursts into a sing along (the "na na na's"). It was one of the first popular singles that was over 4+ minutes and influenced many other bands to do long songs (see "Stairway to Heaven" for instance).

I could be leaving some off, but I think this is the core. Comments?

11. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Radiohead, you forgot all Harrison's songs. They are very innovative introducing new instruments like sitars and otherwise creative songwriting. Classic example is "While my guitar gently weeps.

12. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
    are very innovative introducing new instruments like sitars and otherwise creative songwriting

I included "Norwegian Wood," which wasn't written by Harrison, but was the first rock song to use a sitar--which Harrison played. "While My Guitar Gently Sleeps" is one of his best songs, but not as innovative as the ones listed above.

And I forgot to add something about the influence and innovation of "Yesterday": it is the most covered song ever. It's still relevant today.

13. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    ive not heard much of any...

14. EmpressKatSkywalker

EmpressKatSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2002
    go Revolver go

15. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Great post, Radiohead.

I just listened to The White Album, which I finally bought yesterday. I liked it, but not as much as the other Beatles albums. I guess I'll need to listen to it a few more times. Right now, my favorite songs on it are "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da", "Helter Skelter", "Blackbird", "Julia" and "Mother Nature's Son".

BTW, here's how I currently rank the Beatles albums I've bought (not including the Past Masters compilations):

1. Revolver
    2. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    3. Rubber Soul
    4. Magical Mystery Tour
    5. Abbey Road
    6. Help!
    7. A Hard Day's Night
    8. The White Album

16. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    The White Album is the best because it goes on longest and has all great songs.

(Except Revolution #9. Got drugs? ;) )

17. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
    Thanks, SotS.

I love all the albums the Beatles relesed. Here are my favorite Beatle albums in order.

1. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
    2. Revolver
    3. The White Album
    4. Rubber Soul
    5. A Hard Day's Night
    6. Help!
    7. Magical Mysteru Tour
    8. Abbey Road

18. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The White Album rocks.
    Abbey Road is a close second.

19. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    the last five.
    the second half of abbey road - starting after she's so heavy - is still one of the greatest moments in recording history. the blending is so symphonic it defies the term rock'n'roll.

Fav beatles songs:
    Here comes the sun
    The sun king
    Because
    Julia
    Long, long, long
    All you need is love
    Blue Jay Way
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Two of us
    With a little help from my friends
    Good Morning
    A day in the life

20. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    After hearing every Beatle song countless times in the car during the trip to Portugal and back to Holland.

I got to say that She loves you is my fav. song.

Sorry no album, I've that cd which has every Beatle song on it...

21. Laura_Anu

Laura_Anu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Abbey Road. It's more than just an album that's just song. song. song. It really flows, and dark is contrasted with light, good (Something) with bad (Come Together).....it's brilliant.

1. Abbey Road
    2. Sgt. Pepper
    3. Help!
    4. Rubber Soul
    5. Revolver

22. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    The White Album!

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

23. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    "Sorry no album, I've that cd which has every Beatle song on it... "

Unless you burned it yourself (and even then, all the songs wouldn't fit), there's no such thing as a CD with all the Beatles' songs.

24. kickerofelves

kickerofelves Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2002
    If you burned it as an MP3 CD they would all fit.

Rubber Soul is my favourite, white album comes a close second.

25. MASTER_OBI-DAN

MASTER_OBI-DAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    My favourite Beatles' album is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.