main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit which book should I read?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rynobot, Mar 19, 2015.

?

Which book would you read next?

1. Tarkin

66.7%
  2. Scoundrels

33.3%
  1. Rynobot

Rynobot Jedi Master star 1

Aug 16, 2000
    I just recently moved and totally forgot that I had bought two new books prior to my move. I have Tarkin by James Luceno and Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn. If it were you, which book would you choose to read first? Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Scoundrels is oldcanon - but very much a standalone story, and a pretty good one. Tarkin is newcanon - but a little dry - and it's a shorter book.

I'd go with Tarkin first.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'd say read which ever one you think you'll enjoy more and that labels don't have to matter.

4. Rynobot

Aug 16, 2000
    I am not worried about a story being canon or not. As long as it is well written I can make it work and smudge the little details that do not fit.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If you like Zahn books in general, you'll probably like Scoundrels. If you prefer Luceno books to Zahn books, you'll probably prefer Tarkin.

6. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    However do you do your shopping?

7. Rynobot

Aug 16, 2000
    Lol! I am not asking for my own opinion of what I think I will like more. I want to know what you guys think. If these two books were on your book shelf and you had to pick which one, which one would you grab first and read over the weekend?

I am sorry I didn't ask the right question in my original post. If you hadn't read either you would not know which book you would enjoy most would you.:p

8. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    I haven't read either. Well, I started Tarkin, but...

I voted Scoundrels.

Edit: wut

9. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I'd go with Scoundrels, I quite enjoyed that one, has Winter and Kell Tainer in it, it was cool to see those characters when they were younger and not involved with the rebels yet.

10. dragonpiece

dragonpiece Jedi Knight

Aug 4, 2014
    Tarkin. Scoundrels never happened. Tarkin is official canon.

11. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014

technically yes, but seriously there's no way Scoundrels could ever really contradict new continuity so it might as well just be canon

lmao

I don't think either really happened mate

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I found Tarkin to be kind of stupid and boring ;) whilst Scoundrels does take a while to get going, once it does it is a pretty fun read.

13. Rynobot

Aug 16, 2000
    The poll says Tarkin but the replies from people who have read them say Scoundrels. I will give this question a couple more hours before I pick one from my bookshelf and read it this weekend. It is a snowing here in PA!

14. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I haven't read Scoundrels (I'd likely enjoy it, as I so like Zahn), but Tarkin, which I enjoyed on its own, also actively added to my enjoyment of both Rebels and A New Hope - both things which I already enjoyed very much. I definitely consider that added value - a fun and intriguing stand-alone story that also adds to my enjoyment of other stories.

15. Rynobot

Aug 16, 2000
    Couldn't get into Rebels or other SW cartoon series. Just too many roll my eye moments for me personally.

16. Rynobot

Aug 16, 2000
    I picked Tarkin. The book is shorter, so I should have a very good chance at finishing over the weekend. Starting now!

Taalcon likes this.
  17. Todd the Sock

Todd the Sock rawr ima mod star 1

Dec 13, 2013
    Put it this way- Scoundrels is Ocean's 11, Tarkin is Dude Where's My Car.

That should tell you all you need to know. ;)

Sent from my brain using magic

Gorefiend likes this.
  18. Rynobot

Aug 16, 2000
    Too late already in it. Six hours left of reading for me this weekend and it will be finished.

19. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I'd pick Tarkin myself. Zahn hasn't written a great SW book since Outbound Flight. Allegiance and Choices of One were forgettable, and quite frankly so was Scoundrels.

20. dragonpiece

dragonpiece Jedi Knight

Aug 4, 2014
    Enjoy. It's enjoyable and you are reading in continuity.