main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which books epitomize SW EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ParanoidAni-droid, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

This thread is likely to have been done in some form or another but hell if I can find it.

So what books do you believe really snagged on to the SW experience? No simple list making, state your reasons as to why.

Hopefully, as a side effect, this thread will become somewhat handy to the in-flux of authors we've had and will most likely continue to have.

~PAd

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    There's definitely no single book that does it, since the EU is such a varied thing. I'd say TTT, I, Jedi, and Enemy Lines pretty much epitomize each respective facet of the EU.

3. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    To me, Darksaber is the epitome of Bantam EU.

The big enemy is either A. Completely inept and destroys self after massive buildup or B. Taken out by a toothpick wielding half dead jedi.

4. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    The Essential Chronology. It draws on mostly all the books :D

5. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Star by Star has every thing you could possibly want in a Star Wars book.

6. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I don't want there to ever be a book that is the epitome of the EU. After that, there would be nowhere to go but downhill.

7. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'd say TTT, I, Jedi, and Enemy Lines pretty much epitomize each respective facet of the EU.

The bad, the ugly, and the pretty good?

What about Starfighters of Adumar, Star by Star, the Wraith Squadron trilogy, and Traitor?

But what REALLY epitomizes the EU are the Daley Han Solo Adventures. Now that was some good stuff!

I'm guessing someone will come in here talking about marvel comics with an emphasis on comic books. . . ;)

8. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Star Wars has always been best with a broad cast of characters. That's why Vector Prime and Star By Star are, IMO, two of the best Star Wars books ever. Books like Conquest, Dark Journey, and Traitor are fun. But they can't match the huge epics shown in the above books. That's why I'm so pumped for Destiny's Way.

9. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    The simple answer to this question is that no single book or trilogy defines or epitomises the EU. It all depends on what aspects of SW really interests you personally. If you look for military tactics and campaigns then TTT is probably important to you, if you are really into SW humour then any of Aaron Allston's novels would be the best bet and if you want an in depth look at the Jedi then the JAT would be crucial. I could list my favourite novels but I doubt that this would contribute to the debate you are seeking. It really is down to individual choice.

10. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

From what I've, which is surprisingly very little, I'd have to say:

Shadows of the Empire: Simplistic, sure. Plot unfolds like a video game? Of course. Fun? Always. :cool:

Say what you will about it, very few books have managed to capture the essence of the OT as successfully as SOTE has for me. I find it very fitting that it was this novel that served as the bridge between ESB and ROTJ.

The Hutt Gambit: I've yet to read the acclaimed Daley's but Crispin's rendition of our favorite blaster-slinging smuggler is a lovely little space romp. The novel also succeeds in keeping excellent continuity in a rather chaotic era and refrencing a lot of other EU material.

Cloak of Deception: Just when we thought all hope was lost in the PT era, along comes Lucheno and some superb stroytelling. Backstabbing, Political intrigue, foreshadowing, and jedi galore! Just imagine what Lucheno could do for the Clone Wars.

~PAd

11. ADMIRALSPUZZUM

ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    IF you mean the book that truly hooked me on EU, it has to be Shadows of the Empire.

12. Even__Piell

Even__Piell Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    SbS- it had all the intrigue a book needs.

enemy lines- the militaristic point of view blew me away.

ttt- great books

13. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

Well, I've finally got Starfighters of Adumar out of the way. While it's not my absolute fav, I would agree with most people in that it does epitomize the quintessential SW feel... some of the stuff really harkens back to those old lighthearted Marvel stories. Again, not my favorite and slightly overrated, IMO, but a fine bit of escapism.

~PAd

14. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Zahn's books, followed by 'Shadows of the Empire'. Those however probably epitomize the OT. Of course, if you want those which epitomize the prequels, I dunno...can a book give justice to the bad acting in the PT? [face_laugh]

Ah well, that's my two cents.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.