main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Which books should be made into movies?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Jedi_Jimbo, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Dark Tower is getting fairly popular, with the new comic and all. I would not be surprised to see it done into film, or as you suggested a animated thing would be simply amazing IMO.

:eek: Genndy is doing Dark Crystal? Sweet![face_dancing]

2. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    Well they could use performance capture 3D animation for a Darktower movie series. They are using it for Beowulf which is coming out Nov.21, 2007 and was used before in the movie adaptation of The Polar Express. Additionally, they are fixing the dead eye problem in The Polar Express with "OEG (electro oculography) which maps the actor's eye movements, down to eye-lid flutters. They place three sensors on the skin around the actor's eyes that pick up electrical pulses given off by the eye muscles and surrounding nerves."-from article on AICN.

3. SilentSpeaker

SilentSpeaker Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2005
    It's just a personal preference. I just don't like all that 3d, comp made stuff (nostalgic for the old cartoon movies I guess). They look, kind of... dead to me (cheap too, although they are definitely notcheap to make).
    Something epic like the DT imo deserves better.
    And besides, that polar express film looked kind of weird. It was like, trying to be real, and getting quite close, but just being freaky (sorry I cannot think of how to describe it at the moment. :p). It makes me feel as if they should just have made a live action movie with lots of special effects. Thatwould have been a feat, and a true tribute to the (book?) source it came from.
    Again, just my op. I just really dislike all these new 3d films (esp. that one about that fish! Woe to those who were forced to view that monstrosity)

4. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I've said before that the Dark Tower is too complex to make into any sort of movie. Remember that the narrative through the seven books of the series isn't quite complete. Other books such as The Stand, Insomnia, Rose Madder, The Talisman, It, and especially Hearts in Atlantis, Black House, and 'Salem's Lot are all integral to the story. Without these outside sources whole portions of the narrative including the introduction and description of the Crimson King and his activities would be missing. It just wouldn't work.

5. SilentSpeaker

Sep 24, 2005
    Yeah, I suppose "though it isn't needed" to "though it isn't possible" then :(

6. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    Would you guys like to see a movie trilogy based on T.H. White's The Once and Future King or Mary Stewart's The Merlin Trilogy.

7. SilentSpeaker

Sep 24, 2005
    Yes! :)

(as long as disney doesn't do it)

8. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004

I thought " Excalibur " was actually based on Whites two Arthurian books. Maybe Im wrong. Im really excited about the new Dark Crystal film, too, but please tell me they are going to use the puppetry in collusion with CGI instead of just straight CGI. R.A. Salvatores Drizzt Dourden is a really, really popular character and I definetely see a film utilizing him in the future. With the amount of best sellers that Salvatore belts out and the fact that they are only best sellers because of the characters popularity makes this movie inevitable, IMO. The character is so intriguing you wouldnt even have to base the film on a Salvatore novel. And one that probably wont happen but definetly should is Matthew Woodring Stovers' " Heroes Die ". I know its not original because it borrows from alot of things but it really feels original. In that respect its like a Tarantino film. Maybe thats who would direct it. Im anxious to see if he's going to do sci-fi, anyway. Its like the only genre he hasnt filmed yet ( I understand theres a horror film on the horizon for QT - and he's endorsed and produced horror, anyways ).

9. RevantheJediMaster

Jun 12, 2005
    "Excalibur" the movie was based on Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Mallory, not the Once and Future King by T.H. White. It seemed like they were were trying to fit too much into "Excalibur" so it turned out to be pretty confusing but I still turned out to like the movie as a whole.

10. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I agree.

Narnia was exactly what it needed to be. No one was expecting it to bring in a box office taking to rival LOTR. But it was true to the heart of the story.

btw, has anyone here heard of the Earthsea books? They're being adapted by Studio Ghibli into a film and the director is Hayao (Spirited Away) Miyazaki's son. Sounds alright.

11. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    The Halo series.

note: If you didnt know Halo is also a book series not just video game.

12. rabidwookiewarrior91

rabidwookiewarrior91 Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2006
    It would be sweet to see survivors quest as a move. i wonder how they would pick to play mara jade skywalker?

13. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I've been a WH40k fan for about 2 months now, so I don't know all the backstory to old WH40k projects, sorry. :(

Already happening. Peter Jackson is producing the film, and his special effects team at WETA Workshop is handling the special effects.

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I'd like to see Erikson's Gardens of the Moon into a movie. Actually, it began life as a movie script, but didn't sell so was converted into full novel form.

I heard the Chain of Dogs, a key event in the second book, is in the talks. If so, you would essentially be seeing Islamic fanatics chasing a ragtag refugee enclave across a harrowing desert . . . hmmmm. That would look very American, wouldn't it? I'm thinking images of The Mummy springing to mind.

Game of Thrones would get the R-rated and MA-18-plus tag. :D

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I didn't like Narnia, but I also haven't read hte books.

I haven't read the EarthSea books, but I have them and am going st start them. Is the adaptation going to be in anime or real-people (don't know the technical term).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.