main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which Camera Should I Get

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by TVwriter23, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVwriter23

TVwriter23 Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    I'm trying to boil down to some cameras I want to or should buy.

Which Cameras are better?

Panasonic AG-DVX100
    Canon XL-1
    Canon XL-1s
    Canon GL-1
    Canon GL-2
    Sony VX1000 or 2000
    Sony DSR-PD-150

2. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    If you've got enough money to get one of those, just buy 'em all ;) I don't have any experience with camera's that nifty. Sorry. A good place to go may be e-pinions. Just type in your camera and see who owns it and what they said about it. :)

3. JediDrew

JediDrew Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2002
    Canon GL-2 is probably your best buy.

Some... well... MOST will argue that the xl1s is the best camera on that list, which is a very good arguement.

I like the GL2 because it is basically the XL1s with all the UNNESSESARY stuff taken off of it, and some of the NESSESARY stuff made better...

example... ALL those interchangeable lenses on the xl1s that cost 1000 bucks a peice (sometimes even more)... WHo really needs that?... that feature is where most of you money is going.

In my opinion the Gl2 has better picture queality... People can say otherwise but no matter what kind of technical nonsense they throw at you that will always be an OPINION STATEMENT.

You can still get a wide angle lens for the GL2. The GL2 has all the same hookups as the xl1s when you get the mic adaptar...

And most of all...

It costs 1000 bucks less.

but no doubt the Xl1s look nicer... I believe thats what may distrupt people's judgement.

But thats all just My opinion on the matter.

4. darthsaber10

darthsaber10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2001
    Honestly, I have played around with a GL2 before and I own an XL1s (or XL1S) and IMO the XL1s has a little bit better quality...Now to say that interchangeable lenses in unnecessary is just ignorant...They may not be necessary for some people, but might be for others...The XL1s has a few more, eh hem, necessary features on it...well if you want the BEST quality...But really, most feature aren't necessary for everyone, if you think about it...Maybe I would just want to shoot home videos...Then I wouldn't need to mess with color gain, but if I want to shoot something that could be shown on TV and look professional, then it would be necessary....So really, no camera is better than any other because it depends on what you are looking to do....I would like to point out though that the XL1s has actually been used in the "Hollywood" business...I would do some research on your own to decide..also look at your budget...since anything anyone says here is only opinion....I've also noticed some facts lately being incorrect...(check out XL1 vs. XL1S to see for yourself).....ok...enough rambling on and on....oh yeah...and on...

5. Krapitino

Krapitino Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Well, the XL1s also has the benefit of fitting comfortably on your shoulder instead of making you hold it up uncomfortably with your wrists.

But it may be too much camera for you if you don't have a lot of experience in that range.

I also feel that something like the AG-DVX100 deserves an honorable mention; it's said to have the best picture quality in the list you provide, and it also shoots in 24 frames/second, for 90% of that "film look" taken care of already. It's not a shoulder cam, tho.

6. AlanSmitheeIII

AlanSmitheeIII Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2001
    Have you looked at this one?

Sony DSR-PDX10

7. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Just have to say this Jedi Drew, Im one of those people who needs/uses the interchangeable lense :)

8. JediDrew

Jun 9, 2002
    Well I was just stating opinion.... not fact

[face_love] GL2 [face_love]

9. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    Ummm, was that Panasonic 24fps camera on there? go for that one...!

[face_plain]

10. Krapitino

Krapitino Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Yeah, the AG DVX100. What I said.

11. dan005e

dan005e Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    Well I have used the GL1 a couple of times and loved it, so if you got the money get the GL2. But I am biased on this issue as I havent tried any of the others.

12. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    the biggest one you can find, one that you need two people to lift ;)

13. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Regarding the XL-1s vs. the GL-2...The lens change is necessary and useful for some people. Also, I don't like the way the GL-2 is set up. Some of the buttons are in the funkiest places. For picture quality, in my experience the XL-1s is better than the GL-2.

Edit: To back up what Krapitino said, I also don't like how small the GL-2 is while the XL-1s rests comfortably on your shoulder. It makes for less tiring and less shaky handheld shots.

14. JediDrew

Jun 9, 2002

[face_love] GL2 [face_love]

:mad:

15. TVwriter23

May 30, 2002
    I just found out about the

JVC-GR-HD1 anyone know if this one is any good? Also if anyone knows anything about the JVC-JY-HD10?

Almost forgot someone mentioned that Canon is making an XL-2 if this is true does anyone know where I can find info on it?

Thanks

16. TVwriter23

May 30, 2002
    Another thing I want to know if I get a PAL Camera what equipment would I need and how much would it cost me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.