main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Which character most pleasantly surprised you?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ThorOdinson, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThorOdinson

ThorOdinson Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 30, 2014
    For me I am torn between Rey and Finn. Finn is an amazing example of chivalry and selflessness, an amazing male role model who is genuinely fun to watch. On the other hand we have Rey, an intriguing, powerful, and determined woman who handles the leading role (at least in this movie) wonderfully.

Each of these characters blew away my expectations, who did yours?

2. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Maz. Worked much better in the film than I thought. Great design & great performance from Lupita.

3. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    That's true, I didn't expect much at all from her. I thought she would, at most, serve as a point of connection between some of the old characters and the new.

4. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    Han Solo.

Because I still have nightmares about his last Indy effort. But he aced it.

5. JFettG

JFettG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I was big on Poe Dameron. He didn't get much screen time, but he seems like a fascinating character and one I hope they start exploring in the new EU.

6. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    I'm also VERY glad "just let it in" didn't make the final cut. (at least not that I remember anyway)

As if one could "keep out" the Force...

7. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Poe, I thought he would be reduced to a Wedge, but he started the movie really very good. He had not enough screentime in the end. ;)

ThorOdinson likes this.
  8. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    One could certainly argue that there is a difference between the force flowing through you and you surrendering to the will of the force.

Xinau likes this.
  9. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Phasma. Oh wait-- You said "pleasantly." :p

Can't decide between Rey and Finn. Ford kicking butt as Solo again was expected

ThorOdinson likes this.
  10. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    I watched him in Age of Adelaide just to see how he was, top notch.

HellasLEAF-Jedi likes this.
  11. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    If only it had been 3:30 hours.... I feel like we will be sorely wishing for more by the end of this trilogy.

12. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015
    As much as I loved Finn, Rey stole the show a little. Maybe it's because she was set up to be the hero and kick ass but I loved every second she was on screen. She was also given more scenes with Han and Kylo I believe so maybe that helped her leave a stronger impression on me. Those two outclassed everyone else from the new cast although I want to see more of Poe and Kylo as well.

Import_Jedi and ThorOdinson like this.
  13. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    It's not a single character exactly, but I thought the chemistry between Rey & Han was terrific, and that "job offer" scene in retrospect just breaks my heart.

I'm beyond bummed we won't ever get a movie of the three of them (Han, Chewie, and Rey as 2nd mate) bombing thru the galaxy causing all kinds of trouble.

(seriously -- I want that movie)

14. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    Very true, her scenes with Han were gold.

jaqen and Import_Jedi like this.
  15. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    I feel sad they didn't get more time together, hopefully less does in fact turn out to be more.

16. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Rey, easily. Harrison remarkably really did step right back into Han, but Rey was the center and Ridley pulled it off.

Import_Jedi likes this.
  17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Opposite boat. I could not stand her character and frankly am happy her screen time got caut.

What character surprised me the most was Kylo. I thought there was a chance it wouldn't play out well but I was so happy it worked out perfectly. Out of the new characters, he was my favorite but to be fair, Vader in many ways is my favorite character from the OT so it fits :)

18. SupremeChancellorWicket

SupremeChancellorWicket Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    Poe Dameron. He has 'Oscar' written all over him.

19. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Kylo Ren. I knew they were going to be walking a tightrope then they basically summed him up as an "angry Vader fanboy" but they absolutely nailed it, making him one of the most fascinating antagonists we've had yet in a Star Wars film. Regardless of whether one things his defeat at the end of the movie ruins his credibility or not (IMO it doesn't, especially since the fact that he's able to fight at all after his injury is really freaking impressive).

20. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    You're just biased to the dark side! haha. His performance was exceptional, such a basket case.

21. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Rey, mostly because of Daisy's excellent acting. She ended up the best character in the whole film, a good pick to follow on from Luke in the OT.

Funny since I've had Daisy in my avy for months. I didn't really expect all too much out of her acting, considering it was her first ever film, but she definitely pleasantly surprised me.

Poe was also better than I expected. I thought he'd be the Wedge of this trilogy (not that Wedge is bad, but, he wasn't really all that interesting in the movies), but he was actually really awesome, more like a mix of Han and Wedge if anything. I can't wait to see more of Finn and Poe's bromance in Episode VIII.

You know, I'd nearly say Finn too, but then I'll just end up naming everyone in the movie. Han, BB-8, Kylo, Hux, Chewie... hell, EVERYONE WAS GREAT! Except for Phasma....

ThorOdinson likes this.
  22. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Yep. I've seen people complaining about how "he was a weak emo pu$$y", but they completely missed the point. Kylo isn't supposed to be some badass Vader clone. If you want that, go watch the OT again.

Kylo was perfect for this sequel. Cannot wait to see him in Episode VIII.

jaqen likes this.
  23. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Of the original characters, definitely Chewbacca. Of the new ones, Rey.

24. ThorOdinson

Nov 30, 2014
    Honestly, that was my point in making this thread, everyone was legitimately awesome. Not one character disappointed, and I don't think we appreciate how incredibly rare that is.

25. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    I liked Snoke. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Snoke in episode 8.

whostheBossk and VadersLaMent like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.