main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Which character most pleasantly surprised you?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ThorOdinson, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jofos

jofos Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 25, 2015
    Finn was the biggest surprise. I was expecting Rey to be good and while I might not have had much expectations for Poe because his part wasn't as big, I still expected his character to be good. Finn however seemed a bit forced from what I had seem in the trailers and what I had read. I was worried he was going to be to serious and trained as a stormtrooper. I liked the insecurities and lack of understanding he had for things. Finn is a great character and I look forward to watching him develop over the course of this saga.

ShaneP likes this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

But you just said it: Padme's death didn't resonate with you. They had all this sad and wailing and great music but her death meant less because we didn't care. What matters more in a reaction to a death, your response or a characters? It matters more that I care about those characters. Leia's bit when she senses it through the Force and her recognition of it to Rey when she steps off the Falcon was enough for me.

3. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    BB-8. This is what a comedic sidekick is supposed to be like. Unlike Jar Jar, BB was genuinely funny.

Hoth Chocolate and ThorOdinson like this.
  4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Padme's death did resonate with me. I liked her as a character and found her demise quite tragic, and a representation of the overall demise of the ideology of the lost Republic. I'm talking literally about the way they killed her, the absurd "lost the will to die because my man turned bad" nonsense.

Leia's Yoda moment was great, as was the embrace between Leia and Rey. But I think something more was needed, especially, especially a moment between Chewie and Leia, the two people Han loved the most.

5. CakeThiefPro

CakeThiefPro Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 16, 2015

That I can agree on.

6. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Man do I ever disagree. Padme's death…I didn't care about her character at all. Portman was barely watchable and she had zero chemistry with Hayden.

But hey, different tastes I guess. I cared about Han and Leia and Chewie so I felt for all of them. I could have barely cared less about Padme.

7. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    BB-8 surprised me simply by being really like that. Maybe if the movie had come out sooner, the remote control BB-8s I've seen would be a more popular Christmas item than those stupid "hoverboards."

8. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    Kylo for me. I've stated why a few times on these boards.

9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Padme was a very mixed bag, in writing and performance. But there was just enough there for me to care about her dying. I was also swept up in the overal somber tone of the ending of ROTS; so much tragedy.

But no, her death wasn't even on the same plane of effective as Han's. Which is why it's unfortunate that she was given a stronger, more resonate aftermath. I just think a little more could have been done following the tragic death of one of the most popular film characters in history. Some sort of goodbye moment, a funeral, a few words from Leia, a heartbreaking Leia/Chewie embrace, something.

But it's just one of a small handful of issues I had with the film. Overall it was phenomenal.

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    But see, his death was more resonating to me, an audience member. I can understand wanting a little short clip of Chewie and Leia hugging or something. That would have been perfect. But, movies are never perfect. And remember Chewie's little solitary sobbing. I loved that little bit. So a huge CG funeral and great music isn't necessarily going to make me like and feel for her death more if I don't care for the character much to begin with. Han I did and so those gaps in scenes showing somber reflection was bridged over by my own reaction.

jaqen likes this.
  11. Obill-Wan Cuppobi

Obill-Wan Cuppobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 2, 2014
    Rey. They took a gamble on a complete unknown in Daisy Ridley, but the bet paid off handsomely.

I was worried about Kylo Ren as a character, but I love that he's absolutely psycho. That was what I wanted in the new baddie!

Hoth Chocolate likes this.
  12. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Rey totally! Bout time star wars wasn't just seen as a guy thing. Maybe now the ladies can get in on the fun and see that it's not just some boring thing that nerdy dorks are into. Did i mention Rey is awesome! She's a very enjoyable character who's also pretty and smiles nice too! I honestly think i might even like her better than luke! At least she fought with a lightsaber in her first star wars. Luke just whined about power converters and moped around alot.

Colm and JFettG like this.
  13. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Maz Kanata. Don't get me wrong she wasn't even in my top 5 favorite new characters, but I was really worried sick that this character was going to screw up the movie some how or just not work all (not just Jar Jar, but that Dexster character from Clones or even Boss Nass ... awful IMO). .

I was even bracing for it when they go to Maz' planet, like "here we go ... here comes the CGI buffonery with the weird accent ..." .... but surprisingly she worked alright. She looked like she was IN the scenes with the actors too, not that annoying thing that sometimes happens with CG characters where it just looks too obvious they are not in the scene and just an effect added in post production.

The immediate joke about the "boyfriend" (Chewbacca) kinda put my fears to ease, that she was a real character.

She wasn't anything great, she was basically sort of like a Diet version of the Oracle character from the Matrix movies, but she didn't like kill the movie or drag it down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.