main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

which city in the United States..........

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by DarthTunick , Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    actually, the United Stated population is over 250 million.

2. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    shoot, maybe I'm thinking of something else then. Well, as in all things, I mIGhT be Wrong.

3. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    And there are 50 states in the U.S. I don't care if you call Massachusetts and Pennsylvania "commonwealths," they are still states. Sheesh!

Also, there are at least 40 incorporated cities in Los Angeles County. I don't have a map handy, but I assume you forgot Long Beach, City of Industry, Wilmington, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Torrance, Whittier, Brea, Lomita, Carson, Palos Verdes, Hawaiian Gardens, Burbank, Glendale, San Pedro, and a couple dozen others.

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    yikes! :0 i forgot! thanks, jasman. ;)

5. Endermunkee

Endermunkee Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    I used to live in Sepulveda, but I was never sure if you could call that LA. Though it was LA county.

Is it a suburb? Or something similar?

6. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Sepulveda is a street. It may refer to a particular neighborhood, but I'm pretty sure it's not an incorporated city. Sepulveda is one of the longest streets in California. In Long Beach it turns into Willow and in Orange County it becomes Katella. That's the street Disneyland is on.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    i believe that Sepulveda is a part of L.A.

8. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    Sepulveda is also a city; it's in the San Fernando Valley, unless some other town usurped it.

9. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Thank you, keo, I didn't know that.

OK, trivia buffs, what is Glendale most famous for? There's something there that is so famous that most of the people in the US have heard of it. Johnny Carson mentioned it many times on the Tonight Show.

10. Endermunkee

Aug 15, 2000
    Take that, jasman! ;)

Just kidding, of course.

Thanks Tunick and keo-- but if someone asked me where I used to live in Socal, would it be correct to say LA?

11. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Close enough. :)

Another trivia question:

Famous author Edgar Rice Burroughs retired to the "country" in the San Fernando Valley many decades ago. The residents of the nearest town were so happy to have him there, they re-named the town after one of his most famous characters. What's the name of the town (now a city, of course)?

12. Endermunkee

Aug 15, 2000
    The mall? That's the only thing I remember it for.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    if you were in L.A.! :D San Diego is a part of SoCal too. :) btw, would the city be Reseda?

14. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Here's a clue to question #1:

"People are just dying to get in there!"

;)

15. Endermunkee

Aug 15, 2000
    Tarzana. A teacher of mine once told me I looked like a girl she knew in Tarzana.

16. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    Endermunkee is correct! Here, have a cookie!

:D

BTW, the other answer is, of course, Forest Lawn Cemetery.

17. Endermunkee

Aug 15, 2000
    jasman gave me cookie! o^_^o

I thought about a cemetary (I must've heard it in the news), but I didn't know if I was thinking of the same city. :p

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    i've got a trivia question: in what year was the Hollywood sign completly renovated?

19. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    According to the 1990 US Census, Anchorage Alaska (my hometown) has a land area of 1,697.6 square miles, 938.9 square miles larger than Jacksonville Florida, which is second largest on the list of the 100 largest urban places in the US.

20. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    DarthTunic, I have no idea. Do you also know when the "LAND" part of the sign was destroyed? The original sign said HOLLYWOODLAND.

(It was depicted ficticiously in the movie The Rocketeer)

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    it was in 1978. actually, the reason why the sign read 'Hollywoodland' beacause the purpose was to advertise land in the Hollywood area. when the 'Land' gave way to erosion, it was decided that the sign looked much better reading 'Hollywood'.

22. Just_A_Slacker

Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 4, 2001
    While New York City is the most populous city in the United States, Juneau, Alaska is the largest city in area. Juneau includes a whopping 3081 square miles (composed of 2,593.6 mi2 of land and 487.6 mi2 of water.) The city is larger than the state of Delaware!

Officially known as the "City and Borough of Juneau," the city consolidated the City of Douglas, the City of Juneau. and the Greater Juneau Borough Juneau in 1970 to be the country's largest city (map).

Juneau is a perfect example of an "overbounded" city, which refers to a city that has boundaries that extend far beyond its developed area (certainly the glaciers and ice fields in the city won't be developed soon.)

Jacksonville, Florida is the largest in the contiguous 48 states at 841 square miles. Jacksonville includes all of Duval County, Florida with the exception of the beach communities (Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach and Jacksonville Beach) and Baldwin.

Source: http://geography.miningco.com/library/misc/bllgcity.htm

23. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Interesting, I didn't know Juneau was bigger. It's really a nice city, if a bit small. Too bad the only highway that goes there is in fact a marine highway, and not a road at all.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    tommorow is the 8th year anniversary of the Northridge earthquake, which hit Los Angeles on January 17, 1994 at 4:31 a.m. & measured 6.7 on the Richter Scale. [face_plain]

25. MoonTheLoon

MoonTheLoon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    I always thought the "Hollywoodland" sign was changed by man, not erosion. After a few too many failed actors and actresses jumped to their deaths off the sign, the city council thought it would be better to change it to "Hollywood", mainly because "Hollywoodland" had 13 letters, and we all know that 13 is bad luck.

Unfortunately, people still use the sign to assist in their suicide attempts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.