main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which comics should I read?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AmazingB , Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Which comics would you suggest I read (bet you didn't see that coming from the subject)? The only one I've read is Dark Empire (and possibly Dark Empire II and Empire's End, I really can't remember). So, what else should I read?

Amazing.

2. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    All of them. :)

3. JediProphet

JediProphet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    Star Wars: Union- Great realistic art (all the characters look like they were drawn from the movie!), and features the marriage of Luke and Mara.

Darth Maul: Black Sun- This features Maul doing what he does best, fighting with that double bladed lightsaber. Great art, but the story isn't that important to Episode I, or reveals anything about Maul's past. Still, if you want to see Maul in action, this is it.

Jedi Council: Acts of War- Cartoony artwork, and the story isn't that important to Episode I, but it has all the Jedi Council, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon in action.

4. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Star Wars: Union- Great realistic art (all the characters look like they were drawn from the movie!), and features the marriage of Luke and Mara.

Darth Maul: Black Sun- This features Maul doing what he does best, fighting with that double bladed lightsaber. Great art, but the story isn't that important to Episode I, or reveals anything about Maul's past. Still, if you want to see Maul in action, this is it.

Jedi Council: Acts of War- Cartoony artwork, and the story isn't that important to Episode I, but it has all the Jedi Council, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gon in action.

Go figure. Three that I WOULDN'T recommend.

Union had photorealistic art, but a crappy story...very disappointing.

Darth Maul looked nice (as does everything by Jan), but again was very short on the story.

And the Jedi seemed like incompetent bloody fools in Acts of War.

I'd recommend the Ongoing series (Prelude to Rebellion, Outlander, Emissaries to Malastare, Twilight, et al.), the X-wing Rogue Squadron Books, and the 4000-years-ago TotJ books. Plus the soon-to-arrive Marvel Reprints and other Classic Star Wars (besides the Han Solo book)

5. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    I would have to also say... ALL OF THEM. :)

6. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Thanks all. It is as I feared (hoped?). I have to read all of them.

Amazing.

7. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Anything with Quinlan Vos ;)

That guy really deserves his own novel

8. HerkMondo

HerkMondo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2002
    I recomend Star Wars: Underworld, it has cartoony art but a very interesting story involving the bounty hunters(even Greedo, lol), Han, and Lando. it takes place a year before ANH

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Dark Horse Comics is releasing all 110-isues of the original Marvek monthly ongoing series starting in may. Collected in 7 trade paperbacks.

You'll be able to see the original red-haired Imperial special agent sent to destroy Luke Skywalker, yet ends up romantically involved with him.

You'll be able to see the original "red-eyed, blue-skinned" Imperial military genius leader.

You'll be able to see the original alien species enslaved to Darth Vader through trickery which was used as his own "private commandos squad."

You'll be able to see the original extragalactic invasion of the GFFA.

You'll be able to see first-hand as the "canon" Sith line continues on through the next Dark Lords after Palpatine and Vader.

You'll be able to see true, actual Mandalorian Supercommandos in action in the Rebellion era.

In short, by reading Marvel - it'll help you put the entire saga into perspective.

In addition to those comics, I recommend the Tales of the Jedi series:
    TOTJ: Knights of the Old Republic
    TOTJ: the Freedon Nadd Uprising
    TOTJ: Dark Lords of the Sith
    TOTJ: The Sith War
    TOTJ: Redemption
    TOTJ: Golden Age of the Sith
    TOTJ: Fall of the Sith Empire

10. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    The last two that Genghis mentioned suck, The Golden Age and the Fall of, but the others are very good.

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    The story of GAotS and FotSE was pretty standard fare, but they're the best source of insights into the Sith.

For that alone, they're worth reading.

And it does open the door to some rather startling/nasty skeletons in the Jedi closet.

Not only did the Jedi not attempt to stop the Republic, but they helped the Old Republic to commit genocide against a whole species out of simple retribution/retaliation.

12. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Personally, I read those that intrest me. However, I would suggest:

• Dark Empire

• Dark Empire II

• Empire's End

• Tales of the Jedi

• Dark Lords of the Sith

• The Sith War

• Redemption

• Jedi vs. Sith

• Jedi Council: Acts of War

• Chewbacca

• Crimsom Empire

• Crimsom Empire II

• Union

• Star Wars Tales

• Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire

• Rogue Squadron: Mandatory Retirement

Despite what folks may say about Union, I find it's story to be very intresting. The only bad thing I can say about it is Luke's hair cut at the big wedding. Slicked back making him look like he's got the flu. This look seems to be the basis for the American cover art featureing Luke in the NJO.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You've got plenty of good recommendatons already, I'd add a few to avoid are:

X-Wing Rogue Squadron: Masquerade
    Empire's End

Both had lousy stories and cruddy art. Both had far better predecessors and afterwards in the case of XWRS we had the glorious Mandatory Retirement which was a killer.

Crimson Empire isn't bad, as an NJO fan you should definitely read Crimson Empire II for Nom Anor's debut in SW. It's undermined by the character Mirith Sinn but no series is perfect.

The TOTJ saga is excellent, the original Clasic star Wars series by Goodwin & Williamson, reprinted as 20 issue series by DHC 1992-1994, also available in 3 TPBs is highly recommended. It's the best bridge of ANH-ESB I know of, taking care of all the Q's you think of when looking at the gap between the two films but still telling a damn fine story. Williamson's art for Vader has yet to be bettered in my view.

Oh, for black comedy in SW, read the collection Boba Fett: Death Lies And Treachery, you will not believe the stuff that goes on it it! ;)

Jedi Ben

14. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    I'm an incomptent fool so I don't know how, when, where and why Genghis is a VIP. Can someone enlighten me?

15. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yes, congrats on your VIP status, Genghis ! :D But as would Sariss say in her "sexiest" gravelly voice : "Whyyyyy ?"

ArindaRise likes this.
  16. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    Sariss has a gravelly voice? Everyone knows Sariss = best Dark Jedi ever.

ArindaRise likes this.
  17. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    The comic you should read is Jedi vs Sith.

ps. I have a few questions about Jedi vs Sith. I hope there are people who can answer them, see my forum Jedi vs Sith questions.

18. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    i personaly would recomend the Tales of the Jedi story arc as well...i don't know about the Golden Age and the Fall of the Sith ones yet...but i highly recomend the story streching from Knights of the Old Republic to Redemtion (through the Freedon Nadd Uprising, Dark Lords of the Sith, The Sith War) however i can't honestly recomend Freedon Nadd Uprising as i thought that that bridging two parter was dreadful...

Also i would recomend that you check out the 8 TPB long X-Wing seires...if only for continuity (in terms of continuance of the characters with their developments and demises as opposed to this board's use of continuity as canon debate wording) in the characters you should read all of them...

If you like Fett i personaly would recomend Death, Lies and Treatury (can never spell that right) as well as Enemy of the Empire and The Bounty Hunters......while for a non-Fett fan these may not be that good...for a Boba Fetishist...these are a must read...

P.S. Chewbacca is a good TPB to pick up...a collection of short stories about the big furry one......i'd advise only reading after you've read Star Wars: New Jedi Order: Vector Prime however to understand the motivation of the comic's creation...

19. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, I liked the X-wing series a lot. The two Crimson Empire arcs are cool, but I didn't like the artwork too much. 'Star Wars Tales' is lotsa fun, as well. 'Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand' is cool, even if the artwork was sub-par (IMHO). I also liked the 'Star Wars: Bounty Hunters' trade-paperback. 'Shadows of the Empire' is a classic, but I prefer the novel by Steve Perry.

20. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Of the comics I have read, I recommend these:
    • TotJ: Redemption - great story
    • Outlander - good story, varying art
    • Twilight - superb story & art
    • Darkness - superb story and art
    • Droids: The Protocol Offensive - worked on by Anthony Daniels
    • X-Wing Rogue Squadron series - great writing, varying art
    • Dark Empire - required reading
    • Boba Fett: Death, Lies, & Treachery - good Fett action
    • The rest - read them & form your own opinions

21. DarthRender

DarthRender Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 2000
    The Tales of the Jedi and the Tales and the Boba Fett comics.

22. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Empire's end is like a final 2 issues to DE2, if you don't read it, then DE2 is not finished story.

23. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    The SOTE adaption...didn't like the art, but I'm very fond of the story. It's got Jix! And while you're on it, read Shadow Stalker too...

Then everything DH has published after Prelude to Rebellion. I wasn't very fond of that particular story, but ever since, it's just getting better and better. Especially the Quinlan Vos series (Twilight, Infinity's End, Darkness, and a small part in the current The Hyperstark Wars) are really, really great. I'm very much looking forward to The Devaronian Version. Tales is a favourite too...

24. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Queen, after Devaronian Version there's another four parter taking place after Darkness that features Quin and Aayla.

25. JEDIMACK-COM

JEDIMACK-COM Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    The comics about the ancient Sith are not very important to the books and comics that cover the period just before Ep1 and VofTF. But these books are worth reading because they are fun and contribute something to the galaxy far far away.

1st. Mara Jade by the emperors hand.

2nd. Shadows of the empire I and II
    3rd. Boba Fett - enemy of the empire

3a. Dark Empire was my favorite of all the comics and I forgot to put it here the first time I typed this. The cloned emperor is referenced in the novel and its helpful to have read thiese comics.

4th. the Xwing comics. It helps to follow Union if you have read these.

5th The Zahn Trilogy. My second favorite comics. I have bought multiple sets.

6th Union.

I liked Union more than many. My problem is that all the characters are not clearly identified, and all look to much the same. Since I had already read all the xwing books and comics, I tried guessing who was who.

Chewbacca flamed out for me. But then, they flamed him for real in VP didn't they.

For me Union and Vision of the Future was the end of what was fun in SW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.