1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Adelaide (20th-22nd November), Brisbane (27th-29th November)

Oz Comic Con: Brisbane (19th-20th September), Sydney (26th-27th September)

FF:SA Which Console do you think would be better to buy Star Wars: The Force Unleashed on?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Darth_Rhadei, Jul 19, 2008.

?

Which Console do you think would be better to buy Star Wars: The Force Unleashed on?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
Playstation 2 3 vote(s) 42.9%
Nintendo Wii 4 vote(s) 57.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Rhadei Jedi Master

star 3
    The newest game to the Star Wars franchise, Star Wars - The Force Unleashed is due for release on September 16th around the world.
    This game is probably the most anticipated game of all time among Star Wars fans as the game bridges Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Episode IV: A New Hope where Darth Vader, one of the most recognized faces of Star Wars looks for his Secret Apprentice to destroy The Emperor with.

Now I'm looking to pre-order SW TFU, but I am uncertain of which console to buy it for. Money now, isn't an issue as I have a fund in excess of $100 for the game from my birthday. Whatever is left, I'll prolly buy a Black and Red SAFF Shirt.

The pro's and cons are below.

Playstation 2:
    - Pro: I have access to it whenever I like.
    - Pro: Its significantly cheaper to purchase SW TFU for the PS2 than it is on the Next Gen Consoles.
    - Pro: I own the Playstation 2.
    - Con: The features may be reduced from the Next Gen Console versions.
    - Con: The graphics might be reduced from the Next Gen Console Versions.
    - Con: The framerate may be laggy like most Playstation 2 Games.

Nintendo Wii:
    - Pro: It has far superior graphics than the Playstation 2.
    - Pro: Apparently with the Wii Version, The WiiMote serves as the players Lightsaber.
    - Pro: I can play it on a Widescreen TV.
    - Con: I don't have access to the Nintendo Wii as much as I have access to the Playstation 2.
    - Con: I don't own the Nintendo Wii.
    - Con: It is dearer to purchase for the Nintendo Wii than it is the Playstation 2.

Information:
    -NextGen
    NextGen is an abbreviation for "Next Generation".
    -Framerate
    Framerate is the speed of which a new frame is shown or the screen is refreshed. The higher the framerate, the smoother the gameplay is.

Now, I'm edited-extremely-annoyed that they are not releasing it for the PC as this would solve all of my problems.
    What do you guys think? PS2 or Wii?
  2. Quinten_JarVos Jedi Master

star 4
    Um... Forgetting the BIG one, the one that has more power than the Force :p

The 360... I am getting it for this :)

my Vote: 360
  3. _Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'd vote PC (if I could) I don't have either console :_|
  4. Darth_Rhadei Jedi Master

star 3
    Well, i own a PS2, and my mother owns a Wii. Now, I am unsure which console to get. Damn Lucasarts.

Much like GTA IV, they made a real screw up by not including the PC Version. Consoles I've found to be exceptionally Laggy during Multiplay.
  5. dashleebo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Real shame it's not being released on PC... :( Doesn't make sense either. Gotta get an Xbox 360 sometime next year!

Rhadei: looking at your pro's and con's I'd say go with the Wii... superior graphics & frame rate are more important, plus being able to use the WiiMote as a lightsabre would be cool!
  6. Sabre_11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

First: There is no might about it, the difference in processing power is so enormous that the PS2 version is being made by a different developer altogether with a slightly altered storyline because of what it lacks. Thats not even mentioning the omission of DMM and Euphoria from the game's engine, which is the game's biggest pulling factor besides the Star Wars name slapped on the front.

Second: Are you seriously joking? The only next-gen thing about the Wii is the motion sensing/WiiMote capabilities. The PS2's graphics still rival it and in some cases beats it in this department.

And third: 360 is called the BIG one now? I shake my head at thee... [face_not_talking]
  7. oz_skipp Jedi Master

star 4
    I'l address Sabre first. The 360 is pretty much on par with the PS3, which is what I gather you're getting at. There are a few games that are specifically coded for the PS3 that marginally surpass the 360, but even given the faults the 360 has (not in the mood to discuss pros and cons now), the 360 and PS3 versions are effectively the same.

But yes Sabre, you're correct - the PS2 version is being done by a different developer to the 'big' ones. The same developer that's doing the Wii version and PSP version too IIRC. Krome studios in Melbourne and Adelaide...where a couple of mates work... ;) The Wii is actually a far superior console to the PS2, but unfortunately too many cross platform titles suffer due to the fact it's inherently a beefed up GameCube (not a bad thing per se) so the toolset used to code for it is effectively 'last gen'. No DMM and no Euphoria.

But that's enough geek talk. Straight up, get the Wii version in preference to the PS2 version. It'll be basically the same game but with better controls, better graphics, better extras. Not that I know anything about them ;)

I'm getting the 360 version, but will probably grab it on Wii and / or PSP at some point too. The Wii version will be fun if nothing else. And the iPhone version too....
  8. starcoll1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    we are probably going to get it on the xbox 360 as i only have 2 games gta4 and dead rising, but we also have the nintendo wii so i guess i will wait to see what the graphics is like???
  9. Sabre_11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Basically yeah, you understood me correctly Skipp. If I hear someone say the 360 dominates in ANYTHING other than choice of titles and user base, I will quite literally add them to my black list.

And I just realised I never gave an opinion on which to get :p

I'd say go with the Wii version, because its graphics and the controls are slightly better than the PS2's, and it sure would be nice to swing the WiiMote round like a 'saber :cool:

But if you have more access to the PS2, you may have to consider the amount of time you'll get to play the Wii version...
  10. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    What about PS3? Wouldnt that be better?
  11. oz_skipp Jedi Master

star 4
    The PS3 and 360 versions will effectively be the same - both graphically awesome :)

I've read a few things about the game that concern me about playability...your character apparently kicks a**e so well that the first few levels are walks in the park. We shall see.

On the PS3 v 360 front, I'm very very happy with my new 360. 1080p gaming on a 1080 tv is great. Xbox live arcade is awesome. I dare anyone to download and buy a game called Space Giraffe (about $5! :) ) and not have their butt handed to them. But I see that I can buy a 40" 1080p Sony for about $2000 and get a PS3 thrown in for free. Unbelievable value. Sooooo tempted.
  12. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    Spoke to a guy at the games store at Colonades and he'd been to a preview and played it....said it rocked his world! He played it on PS3 and he said the graphics were unbelievable. I know I'm looking forward to it.
  13. Darth_Rhadei Jedi Master

star 3
    Doesn't help my predicament. :/
  14. oz_skipp Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_thinking]

Get the Wii version!
  15. Sabre_11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No doubt. But Rha'dei doesnt have the money to fork out for the black behemoth, so he was asking us to choose between Wii and PS2.

Naturally, my own copy will be on the PS3 ;)
  16. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    I cant really answer that, but I suspect the 'cut down' version for the PS2 would be losing something, or alot of something.
  17. oz_skipp Jedi Master

star 4
    *sigh*

For the third time, in terms of PS2 v Wii, they're basically the same game but the Wii version has better graphics and innovative controls.

Wii > PS2.

Get the Wii version!
  18. Sabre_11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Slightly better. ;) But still better :p

And unless you have trouble adapting to new controllers, the Wii is a lot of fun to play.
  19. Darth_Hunky Jedi Master

star 2
    I'm getting it for PSP!

Pre-order at EB games for a free collectable!
  20. Darth_Rhadei Jedi Master

star 3
    My predicament is that I don't own the Wii, although someone in my household does.
    When I move out, it'll be a problem. As I wont have the console to play it on.

I own the ps2, and will eventually get a ps3, in a year or so.. but I wanna play it with the
    rest of the world, and hence. My predicament.

Most people think Wii over PS2.
  21. evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling

star 7
    I'll get the Wii version.

Then the PS2.

Then whatever else I feel like geting. :p
  22. oz_skipp Jedi Master

star 4
    The PS2 version will be exceptionally cut down compared to the 'big ones'...even compared to the Wii version. It'll be the Force Unleashed in name only. Same story, similar levels in some way, but with none of the benefits of any other platforms (good AI, good physics, good graphics, innovative controls, portability etc).

Take the $100 that would be wasted on the PS2 version and get a Wii, you can find them almost new (if you look in the right places) for under $300.
  23. evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Az got his Wii from a skill tester. (via his aunt)

Grand total spent - $4.

So we've got the Wii, PS2, X-Box, console covered.

Not getting any of the "big ones" until they fall massively in price or give away with a mobile phone ;)
    I'll buy the game at a cheap price (before going "platinum") then worry about the console later.
    It's more of a collectible for me anyway.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.