main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

which console ?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by gezvader28, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

I've never posted here before, so if there's already a thread on this forgive me.

I'm thinking of buying a games console, primarily for playing all the SW games.
    So which console has the most SW games ?
    X box
    playstation
    gamecube ?

What about PC ?

g

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yoshi is our resident expert on this subject; you should ask him.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Since the PS2 can play PS1 games, that would give it a larger selection between the consoles, though PC would win out in the end across all platforms.

Here's a break down of the different platforms, I've bold-faced exclusive titles.

X-Box:
    Obi-wan
    Starfighter
    Jedi Starfighter
    Clone Wars
    Jedi Outcast
    Jedi Academy
    Battlefront
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Knights of the Old Republic 2
    Republic Commando

Gamecube:
    Rogue Leader
    Rebel Strike

Bounty Hunter
    Clone Wars
    Jedi Outcast

PS2: (ignoring PS1 titles for now)
    Starfighter
    Jedi Starfighter
    Racer Revenge
    Bounty Hunter
    Battlefront

PC (recent titles):
    Starfighter
    Jedi Oucast
    Jedi Academy
    Battlefront
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Galactic Battlegrounds

Knights of the Old Republic
    Knights of the Old Republic 2
    Republic Commando

(I think that's everything)

So, ignoring PS1 for now, X-Box and PC would win out for most titles. GCN and PS2 tie for the most exclusive titles. As far as combinations go, a PC and GCN would probably be the best option to get you the best selection overall.

Of course, that's just going on numbers, it could vary depending on your genre tastes as well.

4. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Many thanks for that 2nd quest.

So don't they make older games available for the newer consoles ? For instance I remember a brilliant arcade game in the late 90's that was basically all of the major battles in the OT.

g

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Usually they don't port older games, though on occasion they will.

If you're looking for older games, the PS2 being backwards compatible with PS1 games gives you some selection in that regards (Dark Forces, Rebel Assault, Masters of Teras Kasi, etc- though, as you can see, quite a few of thsoe are also available on PC). And obviously you can usually get older PC games to run on current PC's.

The four major SW titles on the N64 had PC ports though (Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron, Battle For Naboo and Episode 1 Racer).

And if you're referring to the Star Wars Trilogy Arcade game (with Yavin, Hoth and Endor shooter levels on foot or in the air, plus bonus duels with Fett and Vader), I don't believe that game ever had a console port made, so the only way to play it still at your local movie theater's arcade ;)

6. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    X Box has better variety of SW games, although Gamecube has Rouge Squadron. Get an X-Box and a Gamecube.

7. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    The X-Box lacks the PC's back catalogue, however.

8. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Jedi Starfighter is not PS2-exclusive. I've personally rented it for XBox.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Doh, my mistake. I'll correct that list.

In that case, then the GCN would have the best selection of exclusives, shy the PC.

10. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003

thanks for the replies guys.

one more question -- if you have a computer then why buy a games console ? I mean what's the advantage of a games console over a computer ?

g

11. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Well, you don't have to upgrade a console, and it wouldn't take up memory on your computer.

12. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
  13. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Heres how I see it.

PS2: The PS2 has the largest library and is backward compatible with PSX games. It's major appeal is for Japanese games, Japanese RPGs, action games and the odd quirky Japanese niche game.

It's drawback is that out of the three it has the most dated hardware.

Xbox: For Sports, online, action, FPS and western games including snagging PC exclusives aswell. Best hardware out of the three consoles, meaning the best sound and graphics.

It's drawback is the lack of Japanese RPG's.

Gamecube: You get this is if you need Nintendo games. Has a few nice exclusives and it's dirt cheap. The hardware lies in between the PS2 and the Xbox.

It's drawbacks are a lack of support from third party devs. This is the console you get as a supplement to another system. It's a secondary console. I can't really recommend this to someone as a primary gaming platform.

PC: Capable of putting out the best graphics and has more depth in terms of gameplay when it comes to gaming.

Drawbacks: Lack of diversity in terms of games. If you only play FPS, MMORPGs/Rpgs or sims then you will be happy. But if you want fighters, platformers, party games, ect your screwed.

As to why someone would want to play on a console as opposed to the PC. It comes down to comfort level, diverse games and a more social enviroment. I love crashing on my couch instead of sitting in front of my monitor. I feel so disconnected when I'm in my office on the PC. It is so much more convient to game on a console when friends are over. Multiplayer on the PC is more immersive, sure you can set up a LAN if you want to trash talk your buddies. But setting up a LAN is so inconvenient. With a console you just have to plug in another controller and away you go.

14. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    PC easily has the best line up of games:

Tie Fighter
    X-Wing
    Dark Forces 1 and 2
    Jedi Oucast and Academy
    Battlegrounds
    KOTOR 1 and 2

Uncle Owen Kenobi pretty much sums up why a game console is needed. It is also portable and PS2 and XBox can act as a DVD player if you go away somewhere. However, Gamecube is still my favourite console regardless of its many drawbacks.

15. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003

Well I think I'm gonna buy a Gamecube, they're about half the price of a PS2.

It's just so bloody annoying that they don't make all the games available on all the consoles.

I mean imagine if there were 4 types of DVD player and each SW movie only came out on one type of player.

I really wish they'd put out that SW arcade game I saw in the lae 90's, it was quite amazing.

g

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    YOU FORGOT SUPER BOMBAD RACING, T2Q!! :_|

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>if you have a computer then why buy a games console ? I mean what's the advantage of a games console over a computer ?<<

For me, I'll always prefer a controller to a keyboard and mouse (with the exception to RTS games), and while you can get controllers for PC's, it's just not the same ;)

Additionally on a console, with one or two exceptions, you know you have the proper hardware to run the game at it's peak quality- on a PC you might need to upgrade a graphics card or RAM to run certain titles.

Not to mention if a console freezes or crashes, you can just hit the reset button, as oppsoed to losing a year's worth of stuff you hadn't backed up ;)

EDIT- can you really blame me? ;)

18. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Well I think I'm gonna buy a Gamecube, they're about half the price of a PS2.

If it's just for SW games then I wouldn't touch a Gamecube. I hated the Rogue Squadron games. If you like Metroid, Zelda, Resident Evil and Mario then a Gamecube is a good buy.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    However, if you love the Rogue Squadron series, it's all the better ::)

20. Palps_Rules

Palps_Rules Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    I will get the new Xbox (2) when it comes out and buy all the back star wars games so i dont have to rely on the PC! BTW can you play xbox games on the new system thats out later this year?

21. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Gotta agree with Hawk on the Rogue Squadron series. They make for good tech demos but as far as gameplay goes they are pretty lame shooters. The only decent Star Wars games this gen have been the KOTOR games, Battelfront and Jedi Outcast. All the other Star Wars games have been pretty mediocre. Republic Commando looks like it might be alright as a straight up FPS the team work aspects leave alot to be desired though. Not to mention that those Elite Clone Troopers look ridiculous.

If your just grabbing the Cube for the Star Wars games you would be better off upgrading your PC or getting an Xbox.

22. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I like the PC for RTS games and first-person-shooters. However, I like my XBox for other games, because when I buy an XBox game, I KNOW my Xbox is going to play it and play it well, right out of the box. With a PC, which is rather dated, I can either hope that it'll play the new game, or I can drop $400+ for upgrades (which is pretty much out of the question). It seems more economical for me to just buy Xbox games.

23. Evil-Yoda

Evil-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    Xbox, of course!!!

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd have to disagree about the RS series- they've been my favorite SW titles this generation (Starfighter was close but the games were too easy and were just missing something). Maybe it's just a genre-love thing ;)

25. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    The thing I would say you need to bear in mind is how much your love for Star Wars makes a game worth playing. I mean, the Rogue Squadron games aren't the best flying games out there, but they are probably my favourite, simply because you're shooting down TIE fighters- I just don't get bored of it. (Especially the space battle by the DS2.)

To a greater degree, Jedi Outcast on the Gamecube is pretty rubbish as a single player game (but worth picking up for the multiplayer), but if it weren't for the lightsabers I wouldn't touch it.

Bounty Hunter and Clone Wars are worth a go for a rental, but I wouldn't buy them. Although something tells me it's not PT Star Wars games that you're interested in... ;)

Personally, I'd probably go for an X-Box for Jedi Academy, Battlefront and KOTOR1&2, although I've only played them on the PC. But I imagine they would work better sat on a sofa with a controller in your hand, rather than mouse and keyboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.