main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which do prefer to play games on, PC or Console

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by WarmasterDan, Dec 29, 2002.

?

Which do prefer to play games on, PC or Console

Poll closed Jan 5, 2003.
  1. PC

21 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Console

21 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
  2. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    Is poll is to see which form of playing video games are prefered. It will be open for a week. If this turn into a PC vs. Console war it will be locked. Here is what jp-30 said "Also if it turns into a PC vs. Console war, I will lock the thread." So I just want to list which one you like more, and the reason. To start, I prefer Console games. The reason is I do not like installing games on my PC, I like to know the game will work on my machine, and I prefer the games.

3. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Both. I don't really care, as long as it's a good game.

That having been said, I play more PC games than console games. Not sure why really.

4. Badnews

Badnews Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    IMHO the games on PC have better graphics but, I play more console games. I just like the fact that I don't need to worry about system requirements with console like I do with PC.

5. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    Here are some of the pros and cons i see in gaming with the console and pc.

Console Pro's
    -No installing
    -No system requierments
    -The controler (I hate the mouse/keyboard combo)
    -Halo (so it's coming to the PC also!)

Con's
    -No download content (with the exception of Live)
    -Not as many people on-line as pc
    -The awsome games become exclusives to on or another console

PC Pro's
    -Very familiar to on-line gaming
    -Wide variety of games
    -Download content
    -Joysticks

Con's
    -Can be very costly to have a cutting edge gaming computer
    -56ker's lag the place up
    -Cheaters

Overall I prefer both, but i voted for the console.

6. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Console:
    Action
    FPS's
    3rd person
    Driving
    Arcade

PC:
    Strategy
    Simulations
    Puzzles
    RPG's (with Morrowind being an exception except for no mods :( )
    RTS
    Point and clicks

7. Mace_Windo

Mace_Windo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    I LIEK TEH PC KUZ IT HAZ BETAR GAMES AND STUFF.

-MACE-

8. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I'm a PC Greek, but I don't mind a good console game.

9. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Console. Better social aspects then on the PC. You can't lay the smack down on your friends and then trash talk them while their in the same room, when doing some multiplayer on the PC. Not to mention the comfort level with a console. I like kicking back on the couch in front of a nice big screen TV as oppossed to sitting at a desk looking at a tiny 17 inch montior. Thats not to say I dislike gaming on my PC, I wouldn't have bought a 9700 Radeon if I didn't. :) And now that where seeing a lot of PC developers making games for consoles we can actualy start to enjoy some intelligent and challenging games as opposed to some of the drek that get's overhyped on the consoles.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

10. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Its all about the PC.

11. bliv

bliv Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    I prefer to play first and third person shooters on the PC because the mouse offers better control than a pad. Anything else on a console.

12. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    The PC has the *mouse*. That is much better than those funny swivelly stick like things on consoles used for aiming and whatnots.

Plus, the PC has strategy games.

13. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    I play games on Consoles and PCs, but I prefer PC games. I mostly play FPS, RTS and RPGs, and the controls on the PC are better suited for those games.

You can't lay the smack down on your friends and then trash talk them while their in the same room, when doing some multiplayer on the PC.

False. I've done it before, however it helps to have a LAN set up.

Console Pro's
    -The controler (I hate the mouse/keyboard combo)

Then what's keeping you from buying a gamepad for your PC? There are controllers almost Identical to PS2 controllers. Or better yet, there are connectors allowing you to use your Console gamepads on your PC.

I like kicking back on the couch in front of a nice big screen TV as oppossed to sitting at a desk looking at a tiny 17 inch montior.

Then get yourself a video card with TV-Out connector.

Having said all that, I'll let you know that I do own an X-Box, GameCube, PS2, Dreamcast, Etc. I just don't like lazy excuses.

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I like kicking back on the couch in front of a nice big screen TV as oppossed to sitting at a desk looking at a tiny 17 inch montior.

Unless your couch is 3 feet from your television, you get a MUCH bigger field of view taken up by a 17" PC screen than a 40" TV.

15. Miin_Bodenna

Feb 7, 2002
    Unless your couch is 3 feet from your television, you get a MUCH bigger field of view taken up by a 17" PC screen than a 40" TV.

But my computer screen isn't High-Def, and my eye's hurt after a while staring at it.

16. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Buy a new moniter. Its cheaper than a new TV.

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > But my computer screen isn't High-Def, and my eye's hurt after a while staring at it.

So they would hurt too, if you sat close enough to your TV to take up the same field of view as a monitor.

18. Miin_Bodenna

Feb 7, 2002
    Buy a new moniter. Its cheaper than a new TV.

Not when I already have the TV screen though.

So they would hurt too, if you sat close enough to your TV to take up the same field of view as a monitor.

But that's the point with TV's. You don't have to sit 3 feet from it.

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    But that's the point with TV's. You don't have to sit 3 feet from it.

LOL. Talk about going around in circles.

One of the reasons listed for pro-console is that TV screens are bigger than monitor screens. I pointed out that it is irrelevant, especially as TVs viewed at normal distance are less immersive than PC monitors.

I don't really see how your eye condition factors into that particular part of the discussion.

Eye-strain is a whole other point, but I find monitors set at a decent refresh rate to be much easier to view over long periods than television sets.

20. Miin_Bodenna

Feb 7, 2002
    Another point I would put for Console is my surround sound system can bean anyone's computer speaker system anytime [face_mischief]

21. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    I like PC gaming better. Since my computer is upgraded often enough, I can play any game out there unlike with consoles which only play GC, X-Box, etc games. And I like my mouse and keyboard way more then console controllers. And flight sims are 100 times better using a joystick then a console controller. But the best part is the larger online community and the mods that you can find.

22. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    Another point I would put for Console is my surround sound system can bean anyone's computer speaker system anytime

You can do that for PC too.

23. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    Well, TIE Fighter is only for PC.

and I don't have a console.

24. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    I find it funny you are guys are arguing over which is better. The nerd levels are off the scale here! :D

I play both. It really depends on the kind of game. I HATE, LOATHE, and DESPISE first person games on consoles (Metroid Prime being an exception, but the lack of complete control still bugged me). Consoles just SUCK for FPS games, regardless of how many console enthusiast claim otherwise. Sure, they say they've mastered their console FPS games, but it's just like someone in a Geo Metro claiming how fun it is to race their car against other people to a guy who owns a suped-up Corvette.

Games that I enjoy playing on a console and never even bother with on the PC: Adventure Games (some Lucasarts games being an exception), sports games, fighting games, and racing games.

I do agree that it's much easier for a bunch of friends to casually play against each other quickly on a console, but there are limitations to that. The only way to really, truly excel at a game is to play people better than you. Your friends can only take you so far (especially if your friends suck) whereas people who play online tend to destroy anyone who's never even gotten online before. That's just the nature of playing online. I'm sure that consoles going online will definitely help with that.

The one thing that consolers will still miss out on is the mod community. Don't know if any of you remember, but the biggest multiplayer games that you love so much started out as (or were born from) fan-made mods. Especially, the grand-daddy of ALL team-based games: Capture the Flag (invented by David "Zoid" Kirsch, who now works at Retro and worked on Metroid Prime). It's the fan mods that breathed a ton of life into games that would have gotten stale long, long ago. Team Fortress even started out as a free, fan-made mod. Hell, the man who coded the very first Quake bot (so you could deathmatch by yourself! something new back then) impressed the guys at Epic so much that he was hired to do the AI for Unreal.

There's pros to playing both. I generally play more PC games than console (except as of late, but that's probably due to lack of PC games that interest me) but I still play console. I love Super Smashing my buddies with Bowser (I am the Bowser mastah!). I also enjoy a great game of Instagib with the railguns in Quake 3 against all my buddies at their work LAN or against my room mate on our home LAN. I enjoy teaming up with him in Warcraft 3. I enjoy racing against him on my console.

The only thing I wish is that consoles got some BETTER RPGs. Yeah yeah, they have the Final Craptasy games, but those are like "RPG Lite" games. I'm talking full-on Baldur's Gate 2 kind of stuff. They never do that. Whether it's because the interface just sucks for it or if it's because console gamers can't handle it, I don't know.

I guess consoles are more arcade-ish. That's why we'll also never see a good X-Wing simulator on the console. Only arcade style games like Rogue Squadron (which are fun in their own right, but still lack that special something that I loved about X-Wing).

Anyway, again, they're both good. Just for very different reasons.

-Jomero

25. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    I like them both but come on. Setting up a lan is such a hassle. I've only been able to set one up a whole whopping one time. Whereas with a console were playing multiplayer at least a few times a week. Even setting up a console lan party is so much easier I just need someone to bring over one Xbox to my place and we can get eight people playing. Whereas with the PC we would need eight seperate PC's plus monitors aswell as have to move furniture around to accomodate everyone.

If you only play five types of game then it's great to be a PC gamer. FPS, RPG's, MMORPGS, Strategy and Sims. But if you like any other type of game then your crap out of luck. Fighting games, quirky titles like Parrapa the Rapper, Samba De Amigo, Jet Set Radio or even games like Shenmue are praticly non-existant on the PC, not to mention trying to find a decent platformer game on the PC is a pretty rare event. IMO sports and racing games have always been better on the consoles then the PC aswell.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.