main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which do you enjoy more: Comics or Novels, and Why?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fluke_Groundwalker, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I enjoy novels more, because they allow a reader's imagination to conjure up images of what they believe a scene would look like. Also, novels are more of an advanced read. Your thoughts?

2. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    i definitely prefer novels...

like u say, it leaves more up to your imagination, which is why i like all books...

it's also a longer read, and a more meaningful experience, IMHO...

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Novels. Those that are smaller can get more into the characters. Those that are more epic in scope work out much better. Many of the comics are quite good, but I prefer the depth of the novels to the visual presentation of the comics. I'd LOVE it, though, if they reprinted some of the novels with painted inserts, like the Dark Forces books. Like, imagine a Shadows of the Empire novel with the Hildebrandts' art for that book inserted at the right places...

4. Warrior-of-the-Sith

Warrior-of-the-Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2001
    I enjoy both, but probably novels more. Comics are great for the sole reason that they clarify things with scenes as well as words. In every other category, novels win.

5. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Excellent topic.....

For me, I guess it depends on the mood I'm in at the moment. Like, if I want a Wendy's cheeseburger, I'll take the comics. But if I want a full three-course meal at the Outback Steakhouse, novels do the trick. Know what I mean?

Both have their good points....comics giving a good visual in concert with the story, where a novel gives you a much deeper and wide-ranging story, and the visuals are left up to your imagination.

6. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

What he said! Though comics are nice because they give a generally better idea of what things look like, i.e. ships, etc. but an author, good at descriptive verse. can do the same. In the end, I'd say I prefer novels, but I like comics because they gave me my favorite character, Nomi Sunrider.

7. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    With comics you are given an image of the place, but with a novel you can make your own view of the GFFA or whatever you are reading.
    Also with a novel you can grt into the character or a character mind and see what they are thinking or what state they are in.
    So my vote goes to novels.

8. Avalon69

Avalon69 Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2001
    I don't have any comics, so they seem odd to me.Anyway, they're too short.

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    A picture's worth a thousands words. The TPBs with few exceptions, are between 96 and 150 pages. There are an average of something like 4 panels per page, I guess. This is equal to a novel of 400,000 and 600,000 words.

10. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I saw a SW comic once and picked it up out of curiosity, but put it down again very quickly, because all the pictures were getting in the way of my reading pleasure. I definitely prefer novels. They're longer and deeper and the words allow me to imagine things myself, instead of having a pre-fabricated picture imprinted on my mind.

11. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    well. it's even. novels are definetly great, they're long and interesting to read. but comics (good ones anyway like Acts of War) are also a pleasure to read. i love grabbing them and finishing them before i goto bed

12. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    It varies from person to person,some Star Wars stories like the Dark Empire trilogy and Union can only be bought in comic form,others like the Thrawn trilogy can be bought in comic or paperback, most of the prequel stories are available only in comic form like Prelude to rebellion,Outlander and Twilight, they should make several of the NJO series books into comic adaptations because those would be awesome,seeing the battle between the Vong leader and Corran Horn would be awesome to o.

13. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Novels. I dont read the comics at all.

14. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Novels. I dont read the comics at all.

15. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Generally, I like novels more. It's my imagination, I can get deeper into the story and basically not be distracted. But comics are fun to read on the side. I have a few SW tpbs, and they're pretty cool.

But I'd never replace my novels for them. :)

R.

16. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    With star wars, I definitely prefer the novels to the comics. But, if done well, comics can have the same depth as novels. Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Sin City as well as Alex Ross's Kingdom Come series were as good as any novel I've ever read.

17. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Novals-they are more graphic about the characters thoughts and definitly give a in-depth look at the situation.

However, it is dificult to sometimes picture these events and thats why I think they are the same.

18. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    That's an intriguing question Fluke.

I'd say novels for all the reasons mentioned above me, then again some stories should be presented in the visual media usually those with characters that have little character development...like Boba Fett or Darth Maul. These characters shine in Comics because you don't delve too deeply into their thoughts and motivations, instead you gather that from visual or verbal clues. A story starring them in comics helps their aura of mysteriousness without highlighting their static development of character.

For example Darth Maul: Shadow hunter was a good story, but I feel it would've been told better in the comics format because of the light character development of it's title character.

19. AthyraFire

AthyraFire Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2001
    i much prefer novels.

i have a difficult time reading comics. they are chaotic and all over the place and shallow. they distract me from the story. i've only read a few comics, and i own Union. it's kind of nice to see pictures and whatnot, but i actually prefer my own mental images and not what some artist decides he wants me to see.

that's what's great about novels. you can come up with your own mental images from character descriptions, setting descriptions, dialog, and the plot itself. it makes it more personal and part of you. to me, comics just seem like something to look at, not something to participate in.

20. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Novels.

The comics are always overdone in facial expressions and body movements. And the breasts are always ridiculous on the women. No one looks like that. No one bounds and leaps the whole day through, instead of walking.

The men are always mugging or sneering. It's just too much. All the guys have bulging muscles, even with suits on. And huge angular jawlines.
    All comics are men's fantasies of how they want the world to be. I like Dark Horse, but they have gotten a bit too cartoon-like, too.

21. Senator Lorena

Senator Lorena Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2000
    Novels.

I will, at times, read a comic for EU background, but I don't care for the writing. Comics are to simplistic in their writing and the drawings are exaggerated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.