main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Which EU story will you "miss" most?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by D.A. McCoy, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    I was thinking about the EU today, because of the recent news story about the "Save Legends" groups. I personally am fine letting "go" of the EU, but I understand why fans have conflicting feelings about it. When I first heard the ST was happening, I knew they would do this, and I was a little upset, but I realized that an Episode VII adapted from or placed in between the huge EU lore wouldn't be very satisfying, so I decided it was worth sacrificing in order to have new films. I also didn't actually get that into the post-ROTJ EU, just because by the time I was able to read adult novels, tons of books had already come out and I never caught up.

Having said that, I'm going to "miss" a lot of it (I say that because it's not like it's going away, and for a lot of pre-ROTJ stuff it probably won't even be contradicted right away, but I'll still miss is "being part of the story"), mostly in the gaming department as I played a bunch of Star Wars games. If I was to pick one EU "story" that I am going to miss in the new canon, it's the Kyle Katarn (Dark Forces-Jedi Knight-Jedi Outcast, etc.) Story. I've only played Dark Forces and Jedi Knight, but Jedi Knight was one of my first Star Wars games and I really love it. I have to admit when the EU was thrown out, I felt a little bit of sadness well up when I realized Kyle Katarn won't be onscreen in the ST.

What about you? If you could pick one storyline that you will "miss" most of all, what would it be?

lookameatbag and JediFan215 like this.
  2. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not sure if there is a specific story line that I'm going to miss but I will really miss Allana. She was my absolute favorite character and she had so much potential.

3. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Without a shadow of a doubt, Wedge Antilles and his happy band(s) of ass-kickers.

Although Han Solo's origin story is incredibly close, if only because I'm sure they'll eventually want to give us the "real" "canon" one, and I just know it's not going to be as awesome as A. C. Crispin's.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Thrawn Trilogy in my case, although there's plenty of others I like almost as much.

5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The Dark Times comics, KOTOR comics, Knight Errant, Purge

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    NJO, KOTOR comics, Legacy comics, Thrawn trilogy, X-Wing series, Han Solo trilogy, etc.

Amon_Amarth and PCCViking like this.
  7. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    The stories which I will miss the most from the Legends verse are Dark Forces, The Last One Standing, New Jedi Order and the Legacy comics. I will also miss the KOTOR games and comics but they are pretty far removed from the films so I could probably find a way for them to still fit with the new films.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I won't miss any. I still like what I like regardless what the Mouse says.

9. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    D.A. McCoy asked to pick one story which you would miss. Suddenly, people start giving entire lists. That most certainly proves the EU still has much love and will not be forgotten that easily.

I am going to miss most of the EU. If I had to pick one piece of it, it would be the Republic comic series. Although, TCW already messed with that.

10. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Nothing will ever change in my mind. I will always love and keep the X-Wing books and their characters in the forefront. But I might make some room for new stuff, if it's good and doesn't stomp all over my fangirl feelings. :p

GrimdarkRose and Runjedirun like this.
  11. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    None. I won't miss anything because nothing's going. My personal canon can't be changed by someone else.

12. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Ben Kenobi meets Meyerm and uses a mind trick on him: "This isn't the canon you're looking for". ;)

Shadow Trooper and Iron_lord like this.
  13. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    Ben Skywalker
    And, like the op, I accept legends as something that had to happen. BARDAN EDIT: Nope

14. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Thrawn + Hand of Thrawn, NJO, Young Jedi Knights (cause I grew up with those books), even Dark Nest (fine, judge me), KOTOR comics, Legacy comics, TOTJ comics, X-Wing, Jedi Outcast & Jedi Academy. But mostly Thrawn.

Cushing's Admirer and Iron_lord like this.
  15. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Well to be frank, they aren't exactly going anywhere ;P

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Well for me, the continuation of the Dawn of the Jedi comics as I think those were just starting to pick up when Dark Horse stopped production at least a book too early (John and Jan were well into Book four when they got the cancellation notice. :mad: )

But I think the idea of Dark Horse comics doing all kinds of things with the EU is what I will miss the most since the new Marvel titles hold no interest for me at all.

I haven't read many of the novels as I've disliked the few I did read for a variety of reasons. I will eventually read Tarkin and will wait and see if I want to read anything with Luke and/or the new film characters.

17. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    The YJK for me, but that got screwed over a long time ago.

18. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    I think, for me, I would miss the Old Republic stories - Revan, Deceived, Fatal Alliance and the KOTOR game stories too. I would miss the Darth Bane storyline and I am just reading Darth Plagueis and am totally loving it. Post ROTJ I loved Traitor best of all although it really messed wtih my ideas of the force. (I found myself getting some grey jedi ideas). Also, like lots of folk, I loved the Timothy Zahn series too and the whole Legacy comic series. My understanding is that it's the post ROTJ stuff that's most at risk, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what Disney do with it.

One thing which really helps me with these changes is that although Lucasfilm and now Disney will have their own canon and they'll clearly choose to make their own decisions about that, I can still read the old books and hold my own canon in my own heart however I like. They can have this canon / non-canon digital ruling on stories but those stories I loved will never be unwritten. They're still on my bookshelf, as are all my comics. :)

Jo

19. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Knights of the Old Republic is the one I'll miss the most. I loved playing these games as a kid and was hoping they'd make one more game to tie up loose ends left by the second game. I know TOR tried to do that but there's no end game content so we're left wondering whether or not the Republic or the Sith win. Why Disney took KOTOR out of the canon is beyond me (maybe they want to make a KOTOR movie). You think with everything taking place before Return of the Jedi, they would've just left them alone but they got rid of them too. Characters like Revan, Carth, Bastilla, and the Exile shouldn't be forgotten and I'd be happy to see them make a comeback. I don't care if it's KOTOR 3 or a reboot, I'd be happy either way.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    They want to imprint everything as theirs. It does make sense.

21. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I am suprised nobody mentioned the Jedi Prince books...

22. Darth Zack

Darth Zack Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    The ones that will now never be created and published.

PCCViking and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    If you asked me before I more or less gleefully donated ninety-five percent of my Star Wars books to a library book sale I would have been able to answer easily Mara Jade. Now I can't say for sure what I will miss. Probably the characterizations for some of the characters since now they will be different.

24. Gravemuzzle

Gravemuzzle Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2015
    Dark Horse's Legacy comics was probably one of the closest EU stories to the feel of the original trilogy and truly felt like a successor to the NJO storyline (Sorry, TJK, LoTF and FoTJ). Troy Denning, Karen Traviss, and a handful of other writers and just Del Rey in general made a mistake with the post Vong War era. But John Ostrander, Jan Duursema, and to a lesser extent, Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardman really created a world that felt like it followed 100 years later. I wasn't a super big fan of Nirvana Skywalker and Selena Gomez Solo, but man, the flavor, the events, and the design of the Legacy comics were killer.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Korriban and the culture it used to contain. I like NJO and KOTOR but that's all ruined and done with by EU itself already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.