main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which film had the best climax?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by WriterMan, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I hadn't thought this had been discussed before, but I did a search and it seems the last time this was discussed was not only over ten years ago, it was also before the release of Revenge of the Sith. I feel like it may be time for us to review the topic.

So, which film has the best ending? For me, the most satisfying ending to any of the movies is the ending of Return of the Jedi. The battle between Luke and Vader, the rebellion destroying the Death Star II, the Ewoks winning on Endor, all of it. The scene where Vader throws the Emperor from that railing gives me chills every time. It's great drama. And it also supplies us with plenty of action. (Not to mention, one of the most memorable lines from the series: "IT'S A TRAP!")

Now I'm sure others disagree due to personal taste and preference. I've always wondered if anyone felt the same way as I do, and I'm sure some don't.

Discuss away!

kainee and Sarge like this.
  2. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Empire Strikes Back

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I was just thinking about SW climaxes yesterday, and I think one of the big problems with AotC is that it has no clear climax. All the other films built up to a defining moment: ANH had the trench run, ESB the revelation, RotJ the redemption, TPM the duel, RotS the other duel. But when was the climax in AotC? The first time I saw it, I thought maybe the arena execution might be the climax (a weak climax, but most of the movie was weak IMO), then the Jedi appeared and I thought that must be it, then the clones showed up and I thought this must be it, then there was some lackluster saber dueling, and then everyone left. Even watching it again and knowing the sequence of events, I'm still not sure what the climactic event was supposed to be.

But to answer the OP, I agree, RotJ ended with the most powerful emotional roller coaster of the saga.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the duel with Dooku was supposed to be the AOTC climax.

ROTJ's climax is my favorite by a factor of about 10 over all the other movies.

5. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I think the AOTC climax was signifying the beginning of the Clone Wars

6. Darth Ridiculis

Darth Ridiculis Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2013
    I thought the climax of AotC was supposed to be when Threepio got his head swapped onto a battle droid and zipped around the droid factory like he was in a Looney Toons cartoon. Oh wait... No that was a terrible worse than Jar Jar attempt at humor by George Lucas.

RotJ remains my favorite, it brings the saga to a close in a gratifying way and with emotional impact. And then the Vader theme played on the harp... Awesome.

Sarge, cdgodin and WriterMan like this.
  7. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Either AOTC or ROTS.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Climax and ending are different things. I believe the best climax was in ANH where the tension and situation was more focused.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  9. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012
    Thank you for bringing that up. I was going to fix it in the original post, but I can no longer edit. (It was a little late when I wrote that... :oops:)

We're addressing the climaxes, not the endings.

10. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    It's pretty hard to beat the trench run, which plays like an extended version of that masterpiece of a Jaws finale.

11. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    V and II being the middle of trilogy film leave characters in the middle of a story arc so their finales are more subtle, the trench run is folklore now, i love the battle in palace and duel of fates, but indiviudually has to be between ROTS and ROTJ, the latter cos up to now it was the very end of the story - but watching ROTS with my kids (yes 3 and 6 a bit too young) we were all nearly in tears today, once you go with it, ROTS is very emotional

12. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012
    This is definitely true. Honestly, the ending of Revenge of the Sith is heart-breaking. I can definitely see why one would choose this as their favorite.

kainee and Thoix Heoro like this.
  13. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    .... part of me thinks cynical people should be banned from watching SW without kids with them lol.....not sure it is my favourite as I watch all 6 far too often anyway lol

kainee and WriterMan like this.
  14. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    ROTJ, no contest.

When Luke lights up that lightsaber with unrestrained fury, and the Williams score swells to haunt these two icons, father and son, dueling to the death, and you feel the weight of the entire saga crushing down on this single moment...

Chills. Every time.

15. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012
    I think another reason that the Emperor's throne room duel is so haunting is because of this score:

Darth Dnej likes this.
  16. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    ANH has the best climax simply because its the only standalone SW movie. The best ending for me is ESB as the last 40 minutes are as good as any movie I have ever seen.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That scene is my favourite moment of the saga, but I wouldn't call it the best climax because the overall duel is intercuted with the space and ground battles.

19. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    If with "climax," we're referring to the "big stuff at the end," then ROTJ.

If we take the traditional meaning--i.e., turning point--then ROTS.

kainee likes this.
  20. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    But that's all part of it. The fact that this is both a battle for Anakin's soul and a battle for the future of the galaxy only heightens the tension.

And in response to Count Yubnub , I think ROTJ's climax absolutely is a climax in the traditional narrative sense. It's the highest point of tension in the story, and it contains the moment where the critical turn to the resolution is made.

From Luke giving in to his rage and fighting Vader, up to Vader giving in to compassion and sacrificing himself for his son, That's the climax of the entire saga. It's the moment where tensions are highest, and where the story turns irreversibly.

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    TESB is the best ending for me, but ANH is the best climax.

22. Jedi-Hero

Jedi-Hero Jedi Knight

Dec 30, 2011
    I am going to say the say AOTC. The galaxy is going to war and there is evil lurking about.

23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    My personal favorite ending? ROTJ. I adore all three intertwined endings, with the ground attack, the throne room duel (my favorite saber fight), and the incredibly intricate space battle.

But the best climax? ANH, hands down. The first death star attack works brilliantly as a stand alone climax, it is very well directed and shot, and manages to build fever pitch excitement and tension without any deep backstory or tons of interconnected stories or battles to rely on. It's just straight forward, well done, and extraordinarily effective.

kainee and DarthDuckie like this.
  24. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Unlike all the other Star Wars films, I don't believe Attack's climax is in a battle or with a huge revelation. I think the climax of the entire movie is "Begun the Clone War has", cut to the new stormtrooper clone army, cue the Imperial March. That whole film is about "the shroud of the dark side" falling, and the good guys utterly failing on every single possible level, to a degree that nobody really grasps. That chilling moment with Yoda and the resulting introduction to the imperial army is the climax, it's just a more subtle one.

Darth Raiden, Poor Greedo and kainee like this.
  25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

I'm not sure that's the climax is in the traditional sense. I think the traditional climax, if ROTJ even has one, is the moment that Luke decides to leave and confront Vader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.