main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which film had the best climax?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by WriterMan, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    ANH , EMPIRE and ROTS were all pretty great

kainee likes this.
  2. Rogue501st

Rogue501st Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 9, 2010
    Wow, it is difficult to pick only one. ESB...Darth Vader is Luke's father! :eek: Seeing that as a kid just blew my mind. I can agree on any of the films having the best climax, except for Episode I.

kainee likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    ANH and ESB

Carbon1985 likes this.
  4. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    In terms of climax, I would say ANH had a good one, however I'm going to say that my personal favourite was TPM - there were a few things happening at once, but I felt that when Obi was hanging down the shaft, I was really on edge a bit. I thought that the climax of ROTS was a bit bland, as the duel sort of dies out towards the end and I thought Vader's demise was pretty illogical.

In terms of movie endings, ROTS had the best ending for me, by a long way. Followed by ESB.

kainee likes this.
  5. Stormtrooper Dave

Stormtrooper Dave Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2013
    Best climax in the Saga is A New Hope.

If the movie fails (as if it ever could have), there's no such thing as "Episode IV: A New Hope". It's simply known as 'Star Wars', as it was advertised in the trailers and TV commercials in 1977. So based on that, the Death Star trench run is more climactic than any other of the films. The movie wraps itself up in a nice little package.

Carbon1985 and jaqen like this.
  6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I honestly don't know. I've been impressed by the climaxes of all six movies.

kainee likes this.
  7. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    In my view, ROTJ is Luke and Vader's story most of all, so, to me, the climax of Luke's story is when Luke's throws down his weapon, rejects the dark side, says he is a Jedi like his father, and allows himself to be killed by the Emperor; then the climax of Vader's story is when the power of his love for his son and the example of compassion Luke has made allows Vader to break from the dark side and kill the Emperor when he knows it will lead to his certain death, which also brings the antagonist's storyline to an end with Palpatine's death. The resolution of those 2 climaxes, which is the most powerful part for me, is the quiet sweet scene when Vader tells his son: "You already have (saved me)...You were right, Son. You were right. Tell your sister, you were right." The death star blowing up and the victory on Endor and the defeat of the Empire are cool, but to me, the core of the story is resolved in Luke's and Vader's actions and that final dialogue. That, to me, was very powerful and very uplifting and also bittersweet (Luke is only re-united with his true father for a moment before he dies).

I think the climax and its resolution is just as powerful in ROTS, though things turn very much in the opposite direction -- despair, failure, loss, and utter victory for Palpatine, the film's antagonist. It's very sad, and it makes Vader into a much more pathetic figure and makes Palpatine seem all the more evil, which makes his comeuppance in ROTJ even stronger.

Darth Raiden and kainee like this.
  8. harrycarrybigfoot

harrycarrybigfoot Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2013
    Agreed. After that I would probably have to say A New Hope.

9. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    ANH :)

Carbon1985 likes this.
  10. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    The climaxes of each Star Wars movie all suck equally.

11. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Guess I'm gonna be the first to say The Phantom Menace.

There's a lot of build-up to the final battle, Padme's plans are vague, but she seems confident, even in the face of an unstoppable army. The gungans, pilots, and the Naboo security force all proceed with their plans, and then suddenly Darth Maul appears at the worst possible time for the Queen. I like how all the battles are connected, and the stakes are incredibly high for all parties. That, and the best lightsaber duel, in my opinion.

Poor Greedo and thebeanpole like this.
  12. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I always enjoyed the climax to ESB. The reveal is probably among the, if not the most iconic moment in the franchise, and left those leaving the theaters in 1980 wondering if Vader really is LUke's father, or if it was just a ruse to get Luke to join the dark side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.