main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which ILM special effects were better?(Just for 2001 films)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by jedimaster chris, Jun 30, 2001.

?

Which ILM special effects were better?(Just for 2001 films)

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Pearl Harbor

41.9%
  2. Artificial Intelligence

34.9%
  3. The Mummy Returns

11.6%
  4. Other

11.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    ILM has to win an Oscar this year.

A.I.
    Pearl Harbor
    Planet of the Apes
    Mummy Returns (I hope they don't win for that)

2. Master_Beerstalker

Master_Beerstalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2001
    JP3's effects were great. One of the few scenes I had though was crappy in the theatre actually turned out to be an animatronic, not cgi, so i was actually quite impressed.

3. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    ILM's work on TPM, JP3, and "A.I." has effectively blurred the line between animatronics and CGI. I'm anticipating seeing some actual FX shots for Episode II.

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "Ki-Adi-Mundi actually survived the Jedi purge and fled to Earth with his family, where he convinced US immigration officials that they were from France."

4. jedimaster chris

jedimaster chris Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 1999
    I know Planet OF The Apes and JP3 are not on here cause when I made this poll I based it on movies I had seen by then.
    Bothe movies ahd unbelieveable special effects, i would be shocked to see ILM not recieve an award

5. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Well, the Academy screwed over TPM by giving all the FX Oscars to "The Matrix", a decision which left many computer animation students I know scratching their heads. "The Matrix" had good FX, but nothing new. It simply relied on visually interesting but relatively easy gimmicks like morphing and bullet time, which were perfected on other films. It's a shame TPM got nothing for all its CGI creatures, vehicles, and environments. It's almost like the Hollywood establishment was out to punish Lucas or something (TPM not even receiving nominations for production, set, and costume design was another insult).

Still, it's going to be pretty hard not to give the Oscar to ILM this year. The question is, will ILM get all the nominations, and which ILM films will be included or excluded?

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "In director Tim Burton's 're-imagining' of 'Star Wars', the films would be set in the far-flung future and Darth Vader would be played by Michael Keaton."

6. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Dubya_Fett: I blame that on the fact TPM was generally poorly recieved.

If it had been a great movie, it would've won some oscars, especailly Effects.

I do think it's unfair though, since it clearly did deserve an Oscar for effects.

7. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Once again, I wish I could change my vote. ILM's work for A.I was amazing, much more impressive than the FX in The Mummy Returns, Jurassic Park III and Planet of the Apes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.