Which is better, D6 or D20?

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Mediator, Mar 8, 2004.

?

Which is better, D6 or D20?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2004.
D6 2 vote(s) 15.4%
D20 11 vote(s) 84.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mediator Jedi Knight

star 2
  2. DarthArraKul Jedi Master

star 2
    i am a staunch supporter of d20..

it is much easier to manage from a gm standpoint, it is a lot less dice do deal with. i just like it more..
    don't get me wrong.. i loved d6.. but the d20 was a good change
  3. Tremaniac Jedi Knight

star 3
    For sheer ease of use and breaking in new players, I'm going with D6.
  4. Dr_Steven_Magnuts Jedi Padawan

Ditto. I like to teach systems in 5 min, and the whole threat radius etc. involved with the combat system just makes things more complex than what I want to deal with at 1AM. The number of dice really isn't any big deal unless there's a force point or jedi involved, and even then it's not a factor too often. Also, I really dislike level based systems.
  5. Jedi_Knight_Jonas Force Ghost

star 3
    D20 IS THE BEST!!! DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE SINNERS!!! D20 is the way of the good people!!! D6 is the work of the devil!
  6. Mediator Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ha Ha very funny. Me, personally I like D20 because it is so detailed and you can just picture the Star wars Heros in that gaming system system.
  7. Tremaniac Jedi Knight

star 3
    I've got an overactive imagination, so that was never a problem with me in the old system.
  8. Dr_Steven_Magnuts Jedi Padawan

I've had detailed, interesting, personality filled PC's in games like Car Wars (really dating myself now). It's they player that makes that, not the system.
  9. DarthArraKul Jedi Master

star 2
    well.. i have to agree that d6 is easier for new players to pick up on...

but, at this time i rarely deal with new players anymore... i have a core group of old timers and we are all pretty familiar with d20.

and my wife, who had never played anything RPGwise before.. managed to pick up a good chunk of d20 in a few sessions.

in addition i had several players who were very challenged by the d6 system... the couldn't handle the freedom that came with the templates, i also like the fact that in d20 not evryone can do everything... it was always too easy to be skilled in many areas in d6. to add to that i need to state that we had very long running campaigns in d6.. after a certain point.. it began to get out of hand,,, especially with the long surviving characters.
  10. QMarc80 Jedi Padawan

D6 is great for wanting your PC's to stay alive as long as possible. Not too much customization going for it because skills are easy to upgrade. The good thing about the D6 system is that it allows players to gain role-playing experience for other games. Besides, you can always integrate the characters to the D20 system.

D20 is even better because you have expandablilty and awesome customization so you can become what you want to become in the Star Wars universe. At a price of certain skills you can only choose from character types, but that makes it more fun for the challange of the game and experience of the player to expand on him/herself in the universe.
  11. Lordban Force Ghost

star 5
    D6 didn't even take that long to run out of hand... With the help of templates, a careful pick of specializations, a little strategy in the acquisition of equipment, and with a mere 70 CPs, I had a character capable of operating in urban areas and do there just about anything, with scores ranging from 4D to 6D in skills as varied as Stealth - Urban areas, Bureaucracy, Repair, Con, Dodge, Blaster - Blaster pistols, Melee - Knife, whatever skill what used for Computer Use, Forgery, Security... She did three scenarios almost all by herself in a group of 4 PCs, the other three having all focused in their own domains (we even had a killing-machine with 9D in Blasters and 8D+2 in Dodge, who was ever so glad to be able to hit five targets in the same round - he still had 5D to hit the fifth [face_plain] as you can guess, he was essentially useless when we were supposed to act undercover for the Alliance...)
  12. Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Master

star 4
    D6.
    Of course.

Sorry, but I have no time for D20. If I want to play D20, there's D&D, GammaWorld, CoC, and a ton of other game settings.

D6 had very easy customizing, fastest game mechanics to explain, and a huge set of resources.
    The only problem, for me, is that the 2 books that should have come out first came out last: the complete force powers book (Tales of the Jedi Companion) and the droids book.
    Yes, everyone can do everything, but some do things better than others. That actually never was a problem in any of the games I've been involved in.
    Suppose you have 4 brash pilots. Naturally they're going to place 2d in piloting and 1or2d in gunnery. Natural selection weeds out players who don't put 2d in dodge. OK, that only leaves 1or2d available to delevop other skills right away, but it's still open season. Look at all the skills available. Heck, you can even make up your own if it's not on the list.
    And, that doesn't even touch on specialization or alien races.
    And if you get bored with stock templates, you can easily create your own in about 2 minutes!

Quick and easy to run too.

I just had a mass battle yesterday. The party took out an outpost of 30 techs. (OK, not much of a challenge for the party, but still...)

And with 8 people playing, there isn't that much overlap. Defel killbeast, Merk, ExImp commando, ExSmuggler, Rebel Supply Tech, Tough Native, Dillitante, and a DataSlicer.
  13. DarthArraKul Jedi Master

star 2
    like i have said... d20 is better, but i want to state for the record that d6 provided me with years of entertainment.. and i miss all the fluff supplements .
    but when it comes down to it d20 works better for me and my group...

i ran a d6 campaign that lasted in the neighborhood of a decade, and i will tell ya... way too many dice flying around the table, we had to get our own savant just to count em faster...lol .."" yes.. i am a very good counter""..

tghey are both great systems, both have flaws , but any rpg does..
  14. HansHunkyChest Jedi Knight

star 1
    I played D6 for many years and have a pretty nice collection of D6 sourcebooks. My D20 sourcebook collection is catching up as I've fully adopted the new game system even though I was initially turned off by it.

I got into the D20 system with the 3rd Edition of D&D. Since then D20 has made leaps and bounds in terms of functionality with the release of D20 Modern which SW is based off of. Many of the same game concepts from the D6 system are still around, they're just now ported to the D20 system. I really like many of the changes made, especially with regard to feats and character customization.

I really like the class based character system in D20. Each character in a party ends up with a particular role based on their class(es). In D6 you almost always had every single character ending up as a jack of all trades. For a GM this is a real PITA because after a few campaigns no character is indispensable for a particular mission. It becomes extremely hard then for a GM to challenge the group in a meaningful way which is no fun for the players and frustrating for the GM.

If you look at the SW books and movies the characters fall into specific and identifiable classes and roles. Hard as he tried Luke is not the diplomat Leia is. Isolder is not Talon Karde. Jabba is not Wicket. Without Leia, Han and crew would have been barbequed by the inhabitants of Bright Tree Village. Without Artoo's help Luke would have been stuck on Dagobah for a very long time.

I try to base my games around that concept. I appriciate when players want to expand their characters but I want it to be difficult for them to advance too far out of their primary role, unless of course they want to change their primary role. D20 makes that process much easier on me as a GM.

Besides that there's also the tons of D20 material floating about anymore. Porting material to D6 is difficult at best unless the system you're porting from operates similarly. By default D20 operates pretty much the same way despite the game's genre. It isn't too difficult to port elements of one game into another. Some monstrous races from D&D make really excellent alien species. Likewise monsters from D&D make nice creatures for a SW game.

I think technically D20 is a better system than D6 in many ways but neither system is really my favorite. They're both fun which is the entire reason I play.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.