main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Which is Better? (Genndy's CW vs. TCW)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fistofan1, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Okay, now that we've got a good grip of the feel of The Clone Wars, which is better? The new series or the old one?

I would say I like the new one better. The original was great, but it never really had much depth to it, just action.

What does everyone else think?

2. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Micro-series: better.

3. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    My opinion, the new one.

4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Per this, and I also enjoyed the old Clone Wars Adventure comics.

5. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Definitely the new one!

6. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    TCW series is better by far IMO.

7. Sith-Spitter01

Sith-Spitter01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2010
    The new one has far superior writing if you ask me. It's willing to address, both subtly and openly, more mature topics. But the micro series was able to do a lot of action and story even though its episode times and run was much shorter. I have trouble choosing

8. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Micro-series for me, definitely. For some reason Volume 1 is one of my favourite EU works.

In my opinion, the pros and cons of each series:
    Microseries
    Pros
    *Action-packed and fun.
    *Nothing cringeworthy.
    *Mace Windu was awesome.
    *Grievous was awesome.
    *Except for Durge, I could take the villains (Asajj Ventress and Grievous) seriously.
    *Didn't make a mess of continuity.
    *Anakin's dark moments.

Cons
    *Short episodes.
    *Exaggerated powers - personally, I can look over this, but some people can't.
    *Durge could have been in Men in Black.
    *Not much depth.

Filoni series
    Pros
    *Longer episodes.
    *More potential.
    *Some more in depth stuff, like in The Hidden Enemy.
    *Better animation.

Cons
    *Ahsoka.
    *Jar Jar.
    *Ziro the Hutt.
    *Padme constantly being captured and needed to be rescued.
    *Making a mess of continuity.
    *Very cringeworthy parts.
    *Anakin and Obi-Wan joking about Dooku's age.
    *Can't take Grievous seriously at all, a stereotype Saturday morning cartoon villain.

9. WookieeWarrior9

WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 5, 2007
    IMO, the new series had more depth than the old one the day the first trailer came out. I enjoyed the old one at the time, but I haven't watched any of it in years.

10. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    Maybe you should.[face_idea]

11. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I'm equal. I did like the animation of the first one better (long story short, I really don't like all CGI shows). However, the new one has much more actual plot, and a lot of room for character development

Then again, the old one didn't have Ahsoka, had Asajj appear a lot more, and the scene with Anakin's vision was pretty cool. :p

Yeah, definitely a tie.

12. Orliaan-Nabberie

Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2005
    Hmm; I like both, but in different ways. The microseries was great because it really treated the subject material seriously and touched on darker stuff than even the movies did, but TCW is good, too, because it's more expansive and has more character development.

13. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    New one, though I enjoyed the old one immensely too.

The old one made use of its short length to justify how EPIC and CINEMATIC it felt, what with all its angles and moments and shots.

The new one works to actually SUSTAIN all those action and plots, and it has done pretty well so far to me.

Besides that, I'm a sucker for characters (especially characters you like), so seeing the new series do justice to a number of (cough) beloved background characters is a real treat.

14. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    Micro-series had Plo Koon too..;)

15. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    New one, hands down - absolutely no contest.

16. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    True, and we saw how faithful he was to his movie portrayals, sitting there with folded hands, looking EPIC and CINEMATIC. [face_laugh];)
    I kid, I kid. I'm sure anyone can tell that my enjoyment is not solely dependent a singular character. :p

17. divinerose

divinerose Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 15, 2009
    I definitely prefer the micro-series. I can't even watch the new series - the animation makes everything look really creepy, IMO.

18. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    TCW by far. The micro series had it's moments but it had no depth in it at all. The clones were nothing but common foot soldiers with no personality, no free thinking. TCW give us clones who have the ability to think on their own and actually prove their worth on the battlefield and state their own opinions. I also hated how strong the Jedi were, they were shown to be able to single handily win the war on their own.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it a lot especially the attack on Corscuant but TCW blows it away.

Microseries did give us Captain Fordo but TCW gives us Captain Rex and Commander Cody*.

*Yes we all know he was in ROTS but we didn't see much of him.

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The micro series. I also agree with Drewton. The micro series did real well and won both Annie and Emmy industry awards. This new series has got no award wins, the stories are good in some, bad in others. I would have liked these clone wars to have been done with good 2-d animation instead of this over priced one. But that's just me.

Grevious in this series is just horrible. I liked the Grevious of the micro series. Now he was a real bad ass.

Beleive it or not I also liked Durge, tough guy to beat.

Ziro the Hutt.....man ......I better not....I keep thinking the movie "The Birdcage" and all the .......in South Beach. Heck there is one that works in Armani that sounds like Ziro and acts like him too.

Jar Jar ...nope

still haven't seen the sphat used in the clone war series.

but

overall though, the new animation with its many episodes released plus the ones that they have coming out in the future really does give you the wide over look of what the war meant to the jedi, Republic, Separtisits, Senate and the overall galaxy. This series really does help out AOTC which I thought was a horrible movie. It also enhances ROTS and at the end can really understand why Anakin really does turn to the dark side.

So I am not going to just bash the new clone wars. One thing I really like about these stories is that for once you really don't need all those comic books and novels. You can just watch the movies and these stories and really get a good sense of thimgs. It's also good that GL is very heavily involved in the series. It keepe authenticity which is good for the GL universe, but does not bode well for the EU.

20. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Cody was in the original micro series.

21. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    TCW (the new seeries) is better by far. Each episode has the same feel that the saga of films do.

22. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Yeah, that is why I think TCW is greater the CW.

23. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Usually I'm not much into the apples and oranges thing (heck, even apples and oranges can be compared), but the two CW shows are so different, even with the Taylor, Burton, and Kane crossovers. While I love Genndy's series, to the point where I consider its lead-up to be truer canon than the fantastic Labyrinth of Evil sequence of events, we just get so much more with the new series. Genndy's gets more quality per minute, but Filoni's lets us get so in depth with this period in the story and has some of the best portrayals of the characters out there. I'm going with the new series, with its greater amount of content.

24. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    Yep, the way the clones have been done in this series is just one of the many areas why the TCW is just so much better than the micro-series. You know they've done a good job when you remember individual clone trooper names, despite the fact that technically, they are just "regular grunts", so to speak - Waxer, Boil, Chopper, Jester, Hardcase, Fives, Echo, to name a few.:D

25. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    I'm leaning towards the new one.

Old Series pros:

- better, genuinely frightening Grievous
    - more mature feel (sort of)
    - scary Palpatine/Sidious
    - familiarity of 2d animation kept aging Gen-Xers from whining about it wrecking their childhoods

Cons:

- Not much actual story to speak of
    - Just a bunch of fighting, for the most part
    - Some really dumb-looking character designs
    - Ridiculous over the top powers
    - Conspicuous lack of Nute Gunray content

New series pros:

- Beautiful animation that keeps getting better and better
    - Seemingly endless menagerie of awesome, creative new characters
    - Actual stories/plots
    - More wildly, unabashedly creative in general (possibly owing to direct Lucas involvement)
    - Frequent appearances by Nute Gunray and Neimoidians

Cons:

- Loser version of Grievous
    - Often less "mature" content than Genndy series (sort of)
    - Un-scary Mr. Rogers-esque Palpatine/Sidious
    - Aliens speaking English/Basic when an alien language would work better
    - Karina
    - Can't decide what demographic it's targeting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.