main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Which is Better? (Genndy's CW vs. TCW)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fistofan1, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    but his powers really need to be downplayed... but well all jedi are too powerful in old CW

2. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Just to be clear, Exar Kun's ghost was pre-existing Star Wars lore long before the prequels. That's part of why I'm so attached to the character. For me he was the legendary Sith Lord/Dark Side user back in the day.

Pretending to be on-topic:

If Exar Kun showed up in this series that would put it over the top as my favorite over the other. :D

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I don't know if Sith ghosts 'ruin' the core of the saga for me, but I do think the ultimate irony/tragedy of Anakin's betrayal is that he followed the wrong guy down the path toward eternal life. Plagueis did or didn't know what he was doing, Palpatine pretends he knows what he's doing, and when all is said and done, Qui Gon nails it and teaches it to ObiWan.

Also, isn't part of the lore of post-life existence that those who gave up their lives selflessly were the ones who evaporated into the Force? Not clear on that, but I've heard it enough to believe it.

4. 13thsithlord

13thsithlord Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2005
    overall CW microseries
    it was exciting different and didnt mess with continuity too much

TCW has some great characters and great epsiodes but a lot of filler bad concepts and dumping on/all over other peoples work

5. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I voted robo-legs just because I could. :p

Though I can imagine a mix between Talzin misleading him and Mortis. Not to say that Maul is now a Force Ghost, but rather that Savage will be lead to a place so dark in the Force that he'll experience a vision or something.

6. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Haha I think you're in the wrong thread, dude.

7. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    ... probably hit his head against his koonfan.

BA-DUM PSSSH!

8. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Yeah, my bad. [face_blush]

But is not Darth Maul a Sith Lord, and am I not speculating his presence as a Force Ghost? If I'm off-topic, I'm off-topic in an on-topic way!

...Nah, not really. :p

9. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Haha don't worry, the only person who I've seen be reprimanded with any regularity is LukeTano, and half the time he's closer to being on-topic than us! [face_laugh]

10. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    there was not yet continuity to mess up with you know- cw had easy empty slot to fill TCW had not....

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "Look good to me."

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    both are very good, but hasn't anyone noticed that the only era to get the animation treatment within the last close decade is the clone wars era? Instead of saying which is better, why not say...what about in another era? By the end of this season, we are going to have almost 27.5 hours of clone war animation. Two hours of the micro series, 1 clone war movie cloked in at 90 minutes minus a few, 3 season at 22 episodes each 8 hours each season thats 24 hours. Do the math. Then you have the segments of the movies and then ...............everything else.

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Probably because:
    a) The most recent proper SW movie was focussed on the Clone War ere, so it would have the most active interest.
    b) Live action series is covering between 3 and 4 (if it ever sees the light of day that is ;) )
    c) Maybe GL doesn't want to look at anything before/after the main saga? Maybe he prefers to leave it to the EU writers and focus on the stories he told.

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    That may be better- but he should do series about Civil War between ANH and ESB- same 3 years timeframe and possibility to make classic herotrio Luke,Leia,Han return to SW- and they already animated plenty of characters for that era;) They've done so much Clone Wars now but Civil War is more interesting IMO - more serious even for sith and less politically complicated war- nothing wrong with the clone war but keeping the balance in GL-canon is hard if there is 100 hours clone war and few hours civil war- after all in saga clone war serves merely a prologue to real war- the civil war... and even now they are only creating greater interest towards civil war era- what happens to all these characters and worlds they created for TCW during the Empire? Much stories to tell from that era... Clone Wars needs few seasons more but then they should focus on civil war...

15. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I'm glad that they've spent so many hours building on the potential for Clone Wars lore. They'll get around to other stuff when they get to it, and when they do there's no reason they have to stop doing Clone Wars, especially if the quality continues to be as reliable as it now is. I hope they keep it coming!

16. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    g) Padme is NOT a dummy!

Has been a whole lot of nothing and has disappointed me more times than I can count. The ideas are good but poorly executed... I know in a show like this you're at risk of disappointing people but the unbalance of this show is getting ridiculous...I feel more and more that this show is about pleasing those who disliked the PT and alluring new people to the SW franchise rather than actually exploring this period.

Finished it for you apotampkin!:p

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You might be on to something.

18. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Pleasing those who disliked the PT?

Explain, please, I can't follow...

19. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    I don't know if I quite believe that, but I think that part of its mandate per GL is probably to integrate the OT and PT more fully... to bring more OT characters and general vibe into the PT era to the point where it's a little more difficult to talk about the one without the other. That works for me, the occasional Greedo-shaped bump in the road excepted.

20. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Okay, I see what you mean.

The biggest difference between the PT and the OT is that the OT was basically one big classic adventure, and the PT was a lot of things (perhaps too many things) at once. I think they succeeded in bringing a sense of adventure to this series, but the quality of writing has been very inconsistent.

I feel that if the storytelling is really good, they can do pretty much whatever they like with the series. Being 'more like the OT' shouldn't be a goal in itself.

I often feel like they need someone on the team whose only job it is to be really critical of the scripts. (Perhaps they do - I wouldn't know) Some kind of quality watchdog who gets paid to be a devil's advocate and challenge every possible little issue with the scripts. There's just too many little unnecessary inconsistencies and contradictions left in. The Shipyards of Doom thing stands out as a shining example. They didn't have to contradict that story at all, and yet they did, because obviously no one bothered to check the consequences of that dialogue.

Sometimes it's like they haven't finished the writing when they start working on the episode, and they're changing things as they go along, which leads to occasional plot-holes and inconsistencies.

I wonder whether it's simply a matter of too much workload for such a small team or that the direction is just very top-down and doesn't leave much room for critical thinking.

21. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I'm with Humble. There have recently been too many dumb, easily avoidable mistakes. It almost makes you wonder if they read the scripts after they write them. :confused:

22. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Storytelling is TCW's main enemy. I feel their writing is generally downright weak. They mostly concentrate on animation than the storytelling. Which I can understand since it's an animated show, but even then why not tell a good story through the animation.

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Kids today prefer style over substance. Personally, I prefer story over graphics.

24. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, I've said it before but part of the problem is that the formula they're working with is limiting the possibilities of storytelling, especially when the episodes are only 22 minutes and they're having to restart the story at the beginning of every 'sequel'.

But perhaps this Citadel arc is some kind of departure from that. I think the storytelling would really profit from having a more continuous chronological story, even if that means having *gasp* cliffhangers.

I'm just hoping they're getting out of this phase of doing all these separate story ideas they had back when they started out and that they're getting to the point where they manage to make it all into a fluent cohesive story. Fingers crossed because I might be hoping for too much.

25. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    TCW's writing varies greatly, but it's far from abysmal in my books. I've read literature that some call 'classics' which were far less entertaining and way more excruciating to get through. Literature that ends up in classrooms and lecture halls. Some of these guys actually get Nobel prizes for coming up with twisted, pointless stories. :p

I agree with Humble that it would help if they had more dedication to tightening up the process with a devil's advocate of some kind, something to refine their creativity by imposing limits. That's how I come up with all sorts of thoughts, theories and rationalisations, after all, so I know the process works. [face_peace]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.