main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Which is Better? (Genndy's CW vs. TCW)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fistofan1, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    I definitely get the vibe that the story it starting to move forward in a cohesive way now. And I think that's a big part of the reason for the beginning of S3 basically sucking: the boards needed to be cleared before the momentum started to build. I'm optimistic. Radically and irrevocably changing the Dooku/Ventress dynamic is a big step away from A-Team-style episodic storytelling, and the Citadel cliffhanger bodes very well for no more time-wasting resets within the arcs.

2. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Not only that, it seems to me that the writers of the show are giving what most people acclaim what the PT should of been:

Like a more Han-like Anakin

A more dynamic partner for him. Ashoka reminds me so much of Leia is sickening ... Its only a matter of time before she develops a crush on her master giving more empowerment to her character while Padme remains the plot most people see her as.

Maul might be back...the list goes on.

[face_tired] does that answer your question Humble?

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    totally agreed- if episode causes :oops:-reaction in 10-year old viewers something in writing has gone terribly wrong- and i know many episodes did that- i've heard many kids complaining about lack of sense in these episodes- kids! So it's no excuse to say this is kid's show since even kid's show deserves better writing.. than for example Corruption- those kids who didn't stop watching that because they were bored- most of those thought Satine acted oddly.... many tv-series for children have more working scripts than bad TCW-eps....

4. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah it does, and the way AhsokaMiro explained it made sense to me.

But I can't say Ahsoka reminds me of Leia, not at all, actually.

And I don't think Anakin is like Han at all. They did make an effort to make him a more likable character, but he's just turned into a bland action hero as far as I'm concerned. I just can't root for Anakin in this series, ever. I'll take Ahsoka over him any day.

5. apotampkin

apotampkin Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 15, 2010
    This.

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't think Anakin is like Han at all- he is more Luke but more arrogant and less sympathetic hero.... even Obi-Wan has more Han-like qualities in TCW but he is less cocky and much nicer than Han and of course totally different guy- Obi-Wan is usually nicely written in TCW- Padmé however is sometimes written in Leia's role i think- it feels like they wanted Leia but they had just her mother- ok we go with her..... I dunno about Ahsoka- she is strongwilled leading female so she has much similarities with Leia -but not really that much.... I think it's fine that TCW-heroes are not completely identical to classic OT-trio would be really stupid.... i don't think we need to find any exact parallels either....

7. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    GT series by a country mile.

8. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    I'm not really sure if I'd go along with that sort of logic. Especially with the political episodes, I can easily see how a kid might get confused and lost and think whatever is going makes no sense, even if it makes perfect sense.

And just a quick word on the subject of this thread: consider that the old CW series was what, a couple hours total? Now instead of comparing that to all of TCW, compare it to your favorite two hours. It's only natural that the series with much less time has many more top-notch ideas crammed into it, and the series that's hours and hours and hours long with tons of ideas is going to have more low-points. Not necessarily so, but it seems only natural.

9. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    I'll keep saying it: Satine's ideals are being corrupted by the war. There's a reason for her character change, and it will eventually pay off when the series will focus on Mandalore again. The title 'Corruption' referred definitely to Satine as well.

My theory recently gained more credibility when Filoni said on the Forcecast that Satine's shift in character would prove to be an important development and was a direct idea from Lucas himself.

10. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    I hope that's true.

I tell ya, when one of the Son's promises to Anakin in "Ghosts of Mortis" was to end corruption, I was like, "YES! No more poison snapple!!!" :p

11. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Great catch! I like that title so much better now. :D

12. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I haven't seen Corruption, no I will not see it, and I'm glad I didn't see it. :p

13. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I would only recommend Corruption to those with a strong interest in politics or who are fond of those Star Trek-esque moments where we're confronted with something that makes us ask ourselves if that could happen in our society and if it is already happening. And probably many more, but those are the first two to come to mind. But it's definitely not very heavy on the action or traditional Star Wars elements.

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes except that it was not told in the episode in anyway- not clearly at all and it felt unnatural- it's called 'bad writing'- if you have to dig up the meaning of the episode it's simply not well written story- good story makes sense and you can find deeper meanings when studying it- but if story feels like "What the heck" and you need to study it to understand it- it's not well written- just like Mortis-trilogy. Except that Mortis dealt with that sort of stuff that cannot be even dealt with directly- so it was great compared to Corruption- Corruption was simply bad i'm sure they had logical continuity for Satine but i don't think that episode really served it's purpose in any way- next time when we return on Mandalore i don't think anyone thinks "wow Corruption really served it's purpose" but we'll see....

Actually it's too heavy in action- i hated the shootout scene it was out of place- Satine suddenly allows killing and no clear change happened damn i hate that scene- without it it would've been better actually- boring yes but it's not politics or even poisoned tea but way they added shootout with those elements:oops: either they should show action or then politics but i hate "let's add action scene for Padmé" thinking it felt unnatural- smugglers are discovered by police and duchess and senator from Naboo.... and their little lab was seen- oh no they are making lowquality tea- and what they do- they open fire:eek: :oops: idiots- they cannot escape anymore so why to fight- they were petty criminals but shooting at Duchess and her diplomatic contacts is much more severe crime than selling bad tea- they were not about to poison it anyway it was accidental would've worked better as defense in the court but now they were violently attacking police- total bunch of fools

15. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    I disagree. To me it was clear as daylight. Especially when Padme cried out Satine's name when she threatened the guy with violence. To me it was totally obvious that Satine was losing it. There are just too many things going on for her to handle. She's desperate to take control of the situation, so desperate that her ideals are being pushed back. Makes total sense to me.

Perhaps it happened 'too quickly' for people to understand it, but for that we can only blame the episode length.

16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    ok i have seen that episode only once i had no desire to watch it again:p .... i will watch it again this saturday (and with subtitles) so perhaps i understand better what you mean but still shootout was unneeded addition:rolleyes: - how stupid can moogan smuggler be?

17. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I don't think that part of the episode was stupid Swash, they had got caught and were trying to make an escape, the Duchess only had a few guards with her, it's not like it would've been impossible or the worst thing to try. Not that I have a lot of personal experience or anything, but criminals probably aren't too anxious to get caught and go on trial, especially when they know there's evidence that can indict them. It doesn't seem absurd to me.

18. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Maybe- i just didn't like the episode- Satine Padmé-team is extremely boring to follow- there is no conflict between them or anything like Obi-Wan and Anakin, Obi-Wan and Satine, Anakin and Ahsoka etc...... maybe that was biggest problem- but i still didn't get this change in Satine it was too fast too radical and suddenly killing is ok- just a few time ago she was pissed off when Obi-Wan punched some mandos trying to kill them and now even killing is ok.....

19. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Let me just apologize for derailing this thread with 'Corruption' discussion. [face_peace]

The thing I really liked about the old series is the long, long duel between Ventress and Anakin. It's time we had such a long and meaningful duel in this series. Every duel we get, everybody lives and gets away. They're more like skirmishes. The only exception would be Nahdar Vebb, but that's not exactly the type of duel I'm talking about.

20. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    On the contrary, I was scoffing the entire time at Corruption. A single school gets a bad batch of juice boxes and the planetary head of state personally oversees a planet-wide investigation...yeah, not likely. With the implication that it was actually a nefarious plot cooked up at the highest levels on government. Do these people have nothing better to do than poison snack packs? I mean seriously. And then Satine burns all the evidence of wrongdoing. What an idiot. It's not corruption, it's idiocy. And the only person who calls her out is a strawman who is assumed to be corrupt from the start. The sheer stupidity of this episode is multi-tiered. Once you get deep enough, the moronic logic collapses in on itself and breaks your brain.

I would never recommend Corruption to anyone who likes politics. It's not heavy on action or intelligence.

21. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    For that to work, TCW would need to be well written and have some semblance of characters. It isn't and it doesn't.

Where does this idea that TCW fleshes out the characters, much less the Star Wars universe as a whole come from? Is it because it is longer?

Genndy's version will always be superior for one simple reason imo. It answers the question of what would of happened if the Jedi were actually the mythical knights the OT promised us they were. Not a bunch of out of shape warrior monks, but battle hardened knights. Should be like trying to take down the Hulk when a Jedi has their lightsaber.

22. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Wasn't the Republic comic series ongoing at that time?

23. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    A lot of material was being thrown into the CW timeline from 2003-2007

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Indeed. And even the Genndy series messed up with continuity.

25. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    sorry this is from page 1.

Seriously. Grievous wasn't even very good in ROTS. The last time he was cool and a serious threat was Clone Wars. ROTS and TCW Grievous smash droids and runs away like a punk. Clone Wars Grievous straight-up crushed jedi. Ahsoka would be dead right now if she had run into CW Grievous. I still don't understand why he didn't just slice through those shelves...

But CW Grievous had mystique, as well. Since ROTS, he's just come across as a *****.

edit:

someone, possible Drewton, also mentioned how Padme keeps getting captured in TCW. I haven't seen all of TCW, but from what I recall, Padme was actually worth something in CW. I think they were trying to build her up a little for ROTS as a legit character. Now it's all over, so she can be the damsel in distress. ;)

For sheer cool and boss factor: CW. I have season one, but really want season 2. I remember liking it better and I think I missed a few episodes. Plus Grievous was a BOSS in CW. They're really like two different characters. Although, I could construe Mace crushing his chest as turning him into more of a coward.

Depth-wise: TCW. It's just more emotionally resonant.

They're both superior quality cartoons, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.