main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Which is Better? (Genndy's CW vs. TCW)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fistofan1, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Right...

Was it anything relevant for the discussion?

[/quote]The shear energy of the art in Genndy's series makes it different.[/quote]

Right, great argumentation there (again). What if I say "The shear energy of the art in Genndy's series makes it no different."?

Using strawmen too? How does that cut them being "slightly different version of characters that have been seen countless times"?

Indeed. And guess what? It's not a fact. ;)

Yeah, it was overdone. But what does that has anything to do with this? That Dantooine episode had almost no emotion. That doesn't mean the whole series is devoided of it.

Great, why question others then?

Good for you, but that's not how others feel about it.

Don't know who Dora is.

You were the one who questioned Darth_Deception. Why should he have the same opinion has you do? Is his opinion wrong? Just because you think Genndy's CW is more emotional makes you right?

2. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    It is cliched when it is simply done because it is classic warrior ethos. Sacrifice for sacrifice sake is boring.

"You shall not pass!" works because it is the sacrifice of a three dimensional character who earned him moment in the sun long before the scene came to pass.

What is wrong with fear? Especially when it comes off completely genuine?

Are you seriously questioning debate in a thread with the word versus in the title?

And would have trouble cracking the top 25 moments of the OT.

Pixar exist. Just saw Rango. Seen Fantastic Mr. Fox. Great examples of what heartfelt and touching looks like.

TCW is not even close.

I don't smile like my best friend. Each of my professors demonstrate frustration differently. So people are more animated then others.

That is like saying I am going to sign Kobe Bryant to play the four and focus strictly on rebouning. Genndy's work was the first and only time we have even come close to the mystical knights the OT promised. Well, other then Qui-Gon.

3. Amdrag

Aug 26, 2008
    The shear energy of the art in Genndy's series makes it different.[/quote]

Right, great argumentation there (again). What if I say "The shear energy of the art in Genndy's series makes it no different."?

Using strawmen too? How does that cut them being "slightly different version of characters that have been seen countless times"?

Indeed. And guess what? It's not a fact. ;)

Yeah, it was overdone. But what does that has anything to do with this? That Dantooine episode had almost no emotion. That doesn't mean the whole series is devoided of it.

Great, why question others then?

Good for you, but that's not how others feel about it.

Don't know who Dora is.

You were the one who questioned Darth_Deception. Why should he have the same opinion has you do? Is his opinion wrong? Just because you think Genndy's CW is more emotional makes you right?[/quote]

I like the idea that you are attempting to play the straw-man card, and then your argument basically boils down to "Its all opinion."

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, I don't.

There's the other side of the coin too, you know? ;)

You were the one creating the issue? If it's for people to ignore it, why even create it?

So, you use fallacies. But people should ignore then, right? But why use them, then?

Okay, you don't care. Fine. But that's irrelevant for what we were discussing. You questioned how I found his scene emotional when you haven't even seen it. How is that suppose to make sense?

I don't want to argue with you either.

I don't do it most of the time. Saying that doesn't make it true. And how am I suppose to back off when you were the one questioning my post?

I'm not baiting anyone.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Of course it is. What were you trying to get by questioning him?

6. Amdrag

Aug 26, 2008
    Get? I am just pointing out that TCW is emotionally limp a large amount of the time.

I have found that many take it as a given that TCW works on some higher emotional plane then Genndy's CW because it is longer.

Considering it is my opinion, and you seem to think all opinions are sound and valid, why do you care?

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You could do it without questioning him. It ended up sounding as if you were trying to say that he's wrong just because you think otherwise.

8. Amdrag

Aug 26, 2008
    Well if my opinion is the opposite of the original post, wouldn't it imply that I think what was written is wrong?

9. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Was DarthPhilosopher directed at me?

If so, :p I kind of like that, even if it was sarcasm.

On the two points you made of mine...

yeah, Immagreewitchya.

Except for Grievous taking on a crap-load of jedi and leaving only one alive in his first appearance, IIRC. Though, as you pointed out, they were tired and surrounded and he sneak-attacked most of them.

Honestly, this is mostly me talking out my ass. all opinion.

In fact, I just watched the Grievous Lair episode, and he was fairly formidable, but he still came across as more so in CW to me. Plus, like I said, he had slightly more of an air of mystique to him.

But, just to go on with the emotional resonance. At the end of this episode, Yoda reflects that, sometimes, in war, we lose sight of who we are, in reference to Fisto's former padawan. I just didn't see knowledge like that getting dropped in CW. And it had an emotional pull because we saw it all go down and that was Fisto's padawan. It just sucked.

But that's not to say CW didn't have its moments in this area.

Regardless, I'm talking in circles. It's completely opinion no matter what way you cut it, but I stand by my claims of TCW being deeper, emotionally.

I may have to back off my Padme as less of an idiot, though. :p

I love them both. CW had the cool factor. TCW had the fun factor. Not that either lacked either.

I'm glad we have both.

CW was far more action-centric. From my recollection, many episodes barely scraped the surface of emotional depth, especially when the episodes were shorter. When they were longer, they still were mostly about action. Most of the emotion seemed to

10. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    There's nothing more annoying than someone making extremely loaded statements and then being unwilling to discuss their claims in any depth, so I, for one, empathize with what's going on here.

11. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Whoops, my bad! I meant to type in you! Man, I've been really ditzy lately. [face_laugh]

12. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I'm still hoping against hope that we'll get a shot of General Grievous in TCW that looks like this:

[image=http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/sites/default/files/0012/8269/brand.gif]

13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    You're misunderstand me, but I think we could just move on. Making comments of our post isn't helping anything.

14. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    It wasn't sacrifice for sacrifice's sake. He was trying to save his home world! He was trying to save his friends' and fellow soldiers' lives. The ones outside, who would've been at risk, coming back to finish the job had he failed. The place was overrun. It's more than likely they would've been killed if he hadn't done what he did. I don't get what you don't get about it.

It wasn't simply done because the creators were trying to fit that character into a system of beliefs, it served the plot of that episode and the plot of the series as a whole, including the character and story arch of those particular clones, who, when taken with the episode that comes later but takes place previously, were established as much as Gandalf was in Fellowship, even so in the episode itself.

Your claims are unfounded.

Your argument is so loosely structured it could be applied to anything.

Your argument is cliche because its simply done to counter my point. Argument for argument's sake is boring.

You're putting words in my mouth. If you read my comment, I state that fear is present, but say nothing of its validity or fear as an emotion itself.

There is more subtext in Heavy's sacrifice than in the young jedi who's freaking out because Grievous is coming to kill them.

No.

You don't seem to like TCW. You don't seem to watch much of it.

I'm questioning your presence in this forum.

which is completely subjective.

When Anakin screams, "I HATE YOU!!" And Obi Wan replies, "You were my brother, Anakin! I loved you!" I get goosebumps. Not past tense. I still do.

So, in my subjective view, which is just as valid as yours, that moment is not only in the top 25 of SW, but probably the top 10 or 15. I don't get chills down my spine very often.

I got a similar feeling when Heavy's reaching for the controls to the bomb and the droids say, "Do we take prisoners?" and he responds, "I don't." That scene was as good as anything CW has to offer, as good as anything SW has to offer.

In my opinion.

It's very difficult to argue this at all, because it's subjective. It's your word against mine. And I, personally, don't mind if you don't feel the same way, just don't tell me I'm wrong about how I feel. ;)

Those are all family films and supposed to do that. We're talking about action saturday morning-style cartoons. They're not supposed to make me feel very much. They're supposed to make me say, "COOL!" and watch the next one. That's why it's impressive when they rise above that.

You said the the facial expressions were poor in TCW because they make the same ones to express the same emotions. You may not smile like you're best friend, but you smile like you. I'm sure you pretty much look the same when you smile every time. Obviously, this is relative because we're real and they're not, so we have a much wider range of expression.

And I don't think Anakin's smile is the same as Ahsoka's. And if its similar, I'd say to the same degree as you and your friend.

And some people being more animated than others doesn't relate to your original point. You said the CW characters were more emotive than the ones of TCW.

[quote=

15. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008

quote=Humble_Jedi]
    Yeah it does, and the way AhsokaMiro explained it made sense to me.

But I can't say Ahsoka reminds me of Leia, not at all, actually.

And I don't think Anakin is like Han at all. They did make an effort to make him a more likable character, but he's just turned into a bland action hero as far as I'm concerned. I just can't root for Anakin in this series, ever. I'll take Ahsoka over him any day.[/quote]

I did not mean to say that Anakin & Ashoka were cookie cutouts of Han & Leia but I just get this vibe...

I agree with you about Anakin...

According to IMDB trivia here's why:

When Matt Lanter auditioned for the part of Anakin Skywalker, he was told he was up for the part of "Deak Starkiller". Director Dave Filoni and producer Catherine Winder then told him to play a combination of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker.
    Link this trivia

[
    Dave Filoni based the character of Ahsoka Tano on the mannerisms Carrie Fisher displayed as Princess Leia in the original Star Wars trilogy.

It is what I feared![face_sick]

For your information, she left without Typho's permission to look for Yoda which coincident with her nature the movies unlike 97% of the nonsense in the CWS!

16. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    One area where the old series was way better than the current one is the use of John Williams' original score. The old series used it constantly and it served to enhance it greatly in my opinion, the new series hardly every uses it at all, which necessarily means plenty of missed opportunities.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Or avoided continuous repetition.

18. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I love trivia like this so much. Fascinating.

Sweet, supposedly that means more slave girl outfits!=P~

^This.

19. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Golden bikini is natural next step from peepholed costume:p - after all she started with tubetop.....

and GG "EU-fans and TCW-fans are similar in almost every way, including their quest for logic continuity";)

OT didn't promise us guys who beat up droids with their bare hands so that statement is false.... CW-jedi are not really "mystic" they are just damn powerful.....

20. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me guess...You did not like PT Anakin. If so, Thanks for proving the point I made a few posts back!:p

You know, it would not surprise if that were to happen in the future...

21. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    :eek: You're right! How did you know...:confused: :p

You're like my horoscope, except you're...right!

22. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I'm no psychic so you could call it intuition if you'd like...I made an observation a few posts back about the show in general:

For proving my point you get a big, wet :* ...Thanks again!;)

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They're trying to please people who didn't like the PT?

By making another character just like Anakin, a character well hated by people who didn't like the PT?

By overwhelming us with politics?

With more Jar Jar?

I don't see it.

24. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I never suggested that they use Williams' work ad nauseum, but so far they've used it very rarely, maybe once per 4 or 5 episodes, and it's almost always just a single repetition of a melody as opposed to the fully flushed out theme. There are some classic Williams themes they haven't used at all. There's a lot of space in between the extremes of almost never using them and almost always using them.

25. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    If you're referring to Ashoka, I agree...I don't understand
    why people like her at this point.

By overwhelming us with politics?

oh come on! you need politics in a war...I agree the politics this season were overdone, redundant and a nonsense.
    With more Jar Jar?

o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.