main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Which is Better? (Genndy's CW vs. TCW)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fistofan1, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I prefer the opposite.

You're talking about monotone voice acting on TCW Anakin?!
    CW Anakin and Live Action Anakin are the ones with monotone voice, not TCW one.

On-topic:

Which is better? I think both series have good and bad things. Besides, I don't think I can say that one is better than the other. They're just different.

2. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I?m utterly enjoying the new TCW and would say it?s superior, but both have their bright spots:

Micro-series
    Pros:
    1. Awesome, stylized fights between Anakin and Asajj ? it was believable that rage was consuming Anakin.
    2. Animation provides a real-war feel

Cons:
    1. Uber, over-the-top force powers
    2. Whacko droid weapons (massive piston-pounding floater slammer)

TCW:
    Pros:
    1. Ahsoka (I wasn?t quite sure what to think of her at first, but she greatly invigorates the series and brings a much-needed breath of fresh air to all the blaster, light-sabering, testosterone-filled craziness).
    2. Ahsoka (Oh, sorry, I already mentioned her).
    3. Animation is beautiful and only getting better.
    4. Kick-ass characters like Cad Bane. (He reminded me of the villains in The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly; and Once Upon a Time in the West. Brilliance!)
    5. Provide individual faces, personalities to the clones. Their stories are just as interesting as the main characters.

Cons:
    1. Target audience seems to be out of focus. Sometimes there are episodes that would be for a 6-11 yr. audience, and then there are some that seem to be for a more mature audience that no 6 yr. old could sit still through.
    2. Timeline is confusing. Episodes feel out of place chronologically.
    3. Occasional randomness feeling to the stories.

3. Koonster

Koonster Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2009
    New series, atleast Anakin doesn't have as kiddy as a voice. Animation of course is better, better villians and no wacky force powers or wacky droid weapons (kinda). Also, a better repesentation of the civilion perspective of the war and third parties in the war. LASTLY: The new series has lasted far longer than the old one.

4. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Good points. And the new series is indeed better than the movie, but a 19% Rotten Tomatoes rating for the film is still terrible regardless.

I think that idea's great...I'd make several of them.

5. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    The one in the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area.

6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    My Pro/Con list would be way too long for me to add here. :p
    To shorten everything, as I mentioned before. CW > TCW

7. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Oh, don't know that one. Sorry.

8. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    I'd have to say I like both equally. The Tartavosky series had some of my all-time favorite Star Wars moments, such as Yoda being a total badass during the Battle of Coruscant, as well as Assaj Ventress taking down the clones Obi-Wan sent to follow Anakin to Yavin.

Seriously, seeing that one clone just randomly go somersaulting across the sky in the background always makes me ROFL for some reason. [face_laugh]

And then there's Captain Fordo and the Muunilinst 10- Most. Awesome. Clones. EVER.

TCW also has some great stuff, such as featuring my second favorite Star Wars character (as well as the one most like myself), Jar Jar Binks, and doing his character WONDERFULLY. And let's not forget Ahsoka, easily my favorite character to originate in TCW.

And last but not least, there's the funniest Jedi Master EVER- Tera Sinube.

Dude shows being an old geezer can make one badass!

Really, I love both equally.

9. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I like some of the Mace Windu moments in CW, but overall it never impressed me. CW Anakin never seemed grown up. Seeing TCW Anakin take on a fatherly role with Ahsoka adds a lot more to his development, and makes his reaction to Padme's pregnancy a lot more mysterious. I really worry about what's going to happen to Ahsoka. TCW succeeds in ways I never expected it to. It gives the clones and droids personality, the voiceless Jedi from the movies now have personality, and now we're getting Boba Fett. TCW no contest.
    One minor quibble, Ahsoka's enormous eyes.

10. clonewarsfan

clonewarsfan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2010
    The new Clone Wars of course. It has the Mandalorian WArriors and Boba Fett! :) NUFF SAID!

11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    My only gripe with the new clone wars is that they seam to be afraid to let loose on the force. In this, I like the micro better. The uber question is hard to answer becuase star wars needs some stories like that, just like they need fleet action and massive ground campaigns. Too many actionless stories is whats going to slam star wars to kingdom come.

The Landing at Point Rain, Weapons Factory epsidoes were awesome.

12. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    The new one. I own the entire first one but it doesn't have good storylines like the new one.

13. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    Micro-series: still better.

14. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Agreed. :p

15. Brisi_Wine

Brisi_Wine Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2009
    Um...yeah. It really isn't.

This is like comparing the original Wright brothers plane to a modern jumbo jet. They're both good, but things advance.

16. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    Uh, no.[face_coffee]

17. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    This is a very very good point, things have advanced. But that isn't the only reason why TCW is so much better.

18. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    I agree, it is more advanced. It's more advanced in having filler stories and cliches, in having stiffer animation, in looking like a videogame, and having less-than-great writing and voice acting.

Both shows have their good points, but I wonder if so many people would still prefer TCW if the micro-series was the newest show.. TCW being longer and the current thing doesn't really have much to do with quality.

19. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Some parts in that TCW season II final trailer looked like it belongs in a video game. I.e, two Jedi starfighters heading toward that crashed Venator Star Destroyer. The Jedi in TCW rarely rely on the Force, while the Jedi in the micro-series use the Force as an advantage.

20. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Bear in mind that for the Jedi of the 2D series, logical force power options would include 'smash point A into a crater' or 'collapse rock formation B onto battle droids', or in the case of Yoda, 'smash Troop Carrier 1 into Troop Carrier 2'. With frightening ease. :p

I think that they have an easier time showing acrobatics because those have to do with personally affecting their own bodies, but they want to avoid them having an excessively powerful yet easily available offensive ability. Even when Mace pushed a whole AT-TE, you could see that he had to concentrate to do so, so the viewer gets an idea that they can't just instantly wipe out the droids with a push. You get a few occasions where they let loose, though, like Mace Windu on Ryloth, Anakin in the Mandalore arc, and Obi-Wan with the speeder bike.

21. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    Excellent point. Needless to say, the way the Jedi have been depicted to use the force in this show is consistent with what we've seen in the movies and not blown out of proportion to the point it's an absolute joke - don't even get me started on the way the old series did Grievous... They've basically been spot on with it in TCW. Very impressive.

22. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I watched the microseries for the first time in a while recently again and had forgotten how awesome it was.

The new series has more story, yes, but when the stories aren't actually good, that's not necessarily a good thing.
    TCW has 3D animation, but the animation is more limited by things such as budget issues.

In the microseries, no problems animating capes/robes all the time or having new characters. In the new series, we've never seen Anakin and Obi-Wan with their robes. The new animation isn't more advanced, just a different style.

The only episodes which I think I can compare to the old one are the first two, Ambush and Shadow of Malevolence.

Just my opinion, though. I do have to say that the Boba Fett arc looks excellent.

23. XCell

Apr 7, 2004
    Maybe I sounded like I was attacking TCW and being snobby from the last post, but it does irk me that people seem to now downgrade the micro-series, and that the biggest complaint about it isn't the stories, writing, or animation style.. but that it had already-powerful Jedi Masters with some 'exaggerated' moments.

Maybe it is exaggeration, but at least the Jedi actually used the Force for good use, instead of using it as a tool they sometimes forget they have. I'm not saying there's been no good use in TCW, and I understand putting Force powers aside for the sake of story, but I prefer powerful Jedi over the more weakened ones. Perhaps both series go too far one way.

24. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    While i have enjoyed both a lot, i like the new series much better. I think it has better stories overall and we get a better sense of the characters. I do like the style of animation of the new series much more than the micro-series as well. But they've both been awesome in their own way, they're just different.

25. Kaxs

Kaxs Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2009
    The new one looks better, of course (no, I don't care that it occassionaly looks like a video game), and longer episodes allow for deeper stories. Especially Season 2 has had a lot of very impressive episodes. Can't complain about it... Okay, so I hated Bombad Jedi and I'm not a big fan of Gungan General. But, other than that, the show is great.

However, the fact that they managed to tell any stories at all in the old series is impressive, given the short chapters. Also, many episodes during the Battle of Muunilinst are really great, as are the Battle of Coruscant. And, for whatever reason, I always loved Kit Fisto at Mon Calamari.

So I can't really say I have a favorite. Both are awesome. And frankly, I don't see why we have to choose one above the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.