main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Which is Better? (Genndy's CW vs. TCW)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fistofan1, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I don't think we need one, since this thread is more than enough. The poll thread will turn into a flame debate. :p

2. fett51

fett51 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2008
    This show. Setting aside the "was it over the top" discussion about the Tartakovsky series, it largely traded depth of character and story for action. No show that does that is going to get my vote as a good show, though it was certainly effective as a series of action sequences strung together. More story snuck into the third season, but it still didn't do much more than display new and creative ways to kill droids.

The only real advantage I give the Tartakovsky show is that it was pretty consistently good at what it did. TCW screws up more, but that comes with taking risks, like they did this season with all the political episodes. Again, my preference is for a show that takes risks over one that plays it safe (which gets real boring real fast IMO).

3. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    If you only knew the power of the dark side!

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    This, TCW gave me more "wow" moments than the CW. Although I keep my opinion that one is not better than the other. They are different. Apples and oranges.

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    yeah they cannot be compared at all... other was simple actionheavy cartoon this one is tv-series with many stories

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Both are very good. GT cartoons were so succesful that GL wanted to do the new series, and those are very good in and of itself.

7. apotampkin

apotampkin Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 15, 2010
    CW > TCW

a) It shows war. It's gritty, in a cartoon way; it's real war with this underlying sense of sadness - at least I get this impression every time I watch it. People are tired and it shows... and there is no silliness quota to be filled. TCW has juggling Gungans saving the day.
    b) The relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin is actually fleshed out more. I don't know how or why, but the 2D series dealt much more and in a deeper way with this fundamental relationship.
    c) Anakin. I vastly prefer Tartakovsky's Anakin, because he is coherent with his incarnations in the films. Then again, I like Hayden's portrayal of Anakin, a lot. Bonus points for the voice acting, Matt Lantern gets on my nerves just epically. And other bonus points for his relationship with Padmé, somehow with just a couple of scenes their relationship was much more affectionate and you know, secret, than what we have been given until now in the CGI series.
    d) Nelvaan cave.
    e) The villains were great.
    f) The frequent use of John Williams's score

As for the biggest flaw cited against the microseries, overpowered Jedi... EU Force-powers, helloooo? :p Jacen goes all VCR rewind on past events and Mace blasting off droids is overpowered??

All in all I enjoy TCW a lot, it entertains with plenty of characters, plots and new designs. It's always fresh and new and it's a needed SW weekly fix. Still I think the microseries is superior. It has a soul, while the CGI, so far...

8. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    TCW is a much "better" show than CW, but Genndy's series is at least as enjoyable most of the time. The lack of proper dialogue, however, was disturbing (but that happens when you've only got a couple of minutes)

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I said before and I'll say it again: Apples and Oranges.

10. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the whole CW vs TCW.

11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I've gotta put in my thoughts here. For now, the original Clone Wars show is better, IMO.

JAT's more subdued Obi-Wan is awesome.

The Anakin in this show is much closer to the one of TCW(though I like TCW's Anakin more).

The Genndy series really gets how to do quiet scenes. Something I think that Genndy himself is great at.

The clones are effective soldiers who follow orders to best of their ability; IE the awesomeness that is Fordo.

Missile Launcher trooper.

Effective and SCARY Grievous goes a long way.

Sorry guys, but I liked Mace Windu on Dantooine.

Plus, CW vision quest>TCW vision quest.

12. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I am still puzzled people think Anakin is some different character in TCW, the character is basically what you see in the first 20 or so minutes in ROTS. Lucas is just expanding on it.

13. cain718

cain718 Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2009
    You know,even when the Genndy's series first came out I never found it all that entertaining.In fact I remember getting bored with it in just a few episode.

Even if I compare it to other animated shorts I still find it poorly made.A series with almost nothing but action and very little dialogue may have been ok for some people but for me,I just found it boring and repetitive.And while I don't think TCW is the best animated series ever,I believe it is far superior to the Genndy's series.

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    TCW season 1 + Grievous Intrigue + Death Trap > Genndy's CW > TCW season 2 > TCW season 3

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    At least that's consistent with TPM...[face_worried]

16. Crazydaisy

Crazydaisy Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2010
    While I enjoy TCW alot, I can't help but prefer Genndy's style. I've been a fan since Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff girls.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Genndy's Anakin/Ventress fight was epic. Obi-Wan/Durge wasn't bad either.

18. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Grievous vs Ki-Adi, Aayla, Shaak Ti, K'Kruhk was awesome, Durge by himself was excellent, Fordo and the Muunilinst 10, Mace Windu on Dantooine.

Genndy's series has memorable moments. :cool:

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm sure those moments (except the Muunilinst 10) would be heavily criticized if they were in TCW.

20. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Even the Muunilinst 10.

Comparing Colt and his men to Fordo and his men, Colt can take a seat.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not comparable.

What I'm saying is, if they'd shown an episode like Mace on Dantooine, people would complain about the way he uses the Force and defeated that army. If it was Durge, people would complain about him being impossible to kill. If it was Grievous defeating all those Jedi, people would complain about him being overpowered. Etc, etc... Double standards...

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Double standards?

Those same people who would complain about TCW did complain about those things when they happened in CW and they still do.

It's not logical to speculate that people who liked those moments in CW, and have been asking for them in TCW, would suddenly complain about getting something they like just because it's TCW.

Add my vote: CW > TCW

Oh wait, I can't vote, because we can't make polls.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They did? Some of them, maybe. But I've read many times through the internet how some complain about certain things about TCW and then gladly accept the Genndy series. Therefore yes, many people have double standards when comparing the two.

Speculate about what? Who said they would?

24. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    They are comparable, however. Those ARCs vs the others. Saying they're not comparable isn't right.

25. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I got to go with the 2D series. That ARK trooper episode was awesome. Sure the episodes were short, but they were sweet. The overall action was superb.

TCW is okay, but it lacks the creativity of Tartakovsky. And the whole story arcs where half the time is spent in the senate really diminish the series for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.