main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Which is Better? (Genndy's CW vs. TCW)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fistofan1, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I love some EU stuff. I like the KotOR era, the DF / JK / JO games etc., but many things I just don't see as canon even though I love it for what it is.

I hate a lot of the books I read though, especially the post-RotJ stuff.

2. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    If you know about Exar Kun, then you know he was trapped on Yavin (IV, right?) in ghost form for thousands of years, including the entire duration of the Clone Wars. So someone making a trip there and falling victim to him after awesome Force struggles and Dark Side dialogue, never getting to report what they found because they were defeated, would be totally logical and not at all contradictory with everything we know to be going on with him and the war. As far as I can tell, anyway.

Of course, I realize some people would complain that it was an awful and cheap decision no matter how artfully and consistent with the EU it could be done, but I've come to accept that to be the nature of the beast hereabouts.

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Tarkus, Luke's Jedi Praxeum was in Yavin 4, for Exar to show up makes sense. :p

I want TCW to stay within the CW and just show the CW, not go around and show random characters from different eras and shoving them into an episode.

4. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I totally respect your viewpoint on that, but I've seen some comments that take that viewpoint to what I consider to be absurd extremes. Greedo is a great example. He has appeared in one episode, and played the role of...wait for it...a bounty hunter on Tatooine. It wasn't like they drastically changed the character just for the sake of throwing him in there without any thought. I didn't see any contradiction there (feel free to point it out if I missed it). But apparently that really infuriated some people. That's the sort of thing I just don't get.

And I'm not getting what you're saying about Yavin.

5. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Also, in the 'Ghosts of Mortis' video commentary Dave says they didn't include Revan and Bane because it would look like they somehow existed outside of the Force, and it would go against things Lucas had established. To me that sounds like Sith ghosts aren't canon in Lucas' world. Which is fine with me, because I never liked the idea of Sith having an afterlife, even if they're tied to places, haunting them, etc.

The Greedo rage was because of his age. Most people would have been fine with 'Greedo the Elder', but they made him THE Greedo after all. I just thought it felt shoe-horned in.

6. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Well I'm overly attached to all things Exar Kun, even that ooooooold bit about him only being able to use two lightsabers once he went to the Dark Side because only Dark Side users could do that (even though this has been contradicted over and over and over again by numerous sources), so stop raining on my parade H_J. :p

7. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Tarkus- Exar Kun's spirit was trapped within his temple on Yavin 4 forever. Disregarding Galaxies, Kun's spirit returned thousands of years later, and attacked students in Luke's Jedi Praxeum on the moon, but his spirit was defeated there. It makes sense for Kun to return on the moon to attack some Force-sensitive praxeum on the moon.

8. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    So if he would come out to attack a Jedi "praxeum" (not sure what that means, feel free to enlighten me), why would it be so far-fetched for him to come out to attack, say, a Jedi Master and his/her Padawan that came to the planet or the moon? It's been years since I read those novels, but I'm pretty sure there were only a handful of Jedi there. If 10 Jedi get his attention, I have no reason to think 2 or 4 wouldn't. For that to be illogical or contradictory I'd have to be missing a major piece of the puzzle here. But you're reminding me of a lot of stuff so feel free to continue. :)

9. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Because Exar Kun was shown to have been defeated before Champions of the Force. Galaxies can be a problem. :p In Galaxies, A professor from Coreilla was undergoing an archeological expedition in Yavin. His agents there who were studying the Yavin 4 temples awoken Exar Kun's spirit in his temple. Kun's temple was destroyed after his spirit was defeated again in COTF.

For Kun to show up at a random period during the CW to attack a Jedi Master can be strange. Unless Kun takes their spirits, corrupts them, and influences the dark side in them, kill them, ect, it just has no place. To be honest, no more Kun, and just leave him be. If you don't know what Luke's Praxeum is, it's the Massassi Temple, which is the Rebel base from ANH.

10. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Unless there's a typo in your post, I really don't get how if he was defeated before those books and of course defeated again and for good in the last one, that means he can't have some small victory somewhere in between.

And yeah, I remembered that Luke made the base from Ep. IV the new Jedi headquarters, so is Praxeum just the name he gave it or does that also connote something else?

11. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Your #1 source for everything Jedi Knight! :D

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, nevermind. Let's just say it's JKDF2 gaming legacy. :p

12. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I actually just beat the original Dark Forces for the first time yesterday, and as I've mentioned numerous times on this board Jedi Outcast is my favorite Star Wars game, so I'm with ya. :p

Although I still don't get what possessed them to go from Dark Forces to Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight to Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. That would be like if Ep. VI was really Empire Strikes Back II: Return of the Jedi. But I digress.

13. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    For him to be defeated over and over again doesn't seem right. He was defeated in Galaxies, which was roughly in 1 ABY, but his Temple wasn't destroyed. In COTF, he was finally defeated, and his Temple where his spirit was confined to was destroyed, in 11 ABY. His Temple influences him on Yavin 4, since his spirit was trapped within it. Hope that makes sense to you. But in Galaxies, that is when his spirit was awoken after thousands of years, or how it's mentioned in the game. The result from that was the archeologists going into his Temple and waking his spirit, ect.

14. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    But I'm not suggesting he should be defeated, I actually suggested that he would defeat whoever it was that landed there, which would explain why knowledge of it never got back to the rest of the Jedi. I actually think that would be something really important to do if they wanted to do it without any contradictions. But I get that you're against the idea, so don't let me drag you further down unnecessarily. :p

15. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Well, there will be some issues with that if you haven't seen what he had done to certain Jedi in COTF, or the professor's team in Galaxies. :p

Yavin 4 was shown many times in the EU. In the CW, for example, Anakin and Ventress' duel was one of them. You didn't see Exar coming out and helping either one, right? His spirit is confined within his own Temple, unless disturbed, which is seen in Galaxies. However, Galaxies takes place in 1 ABY. For Exar to reappear, it would have to take place after that.

16. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Ahhhhhhhhh, fine, you make a seemingly solid case, I'm just a stubborn ass who loves Exar Kun. :D

17. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Re: The Exar Kun discussion.

I don't like the idea of spirits of Sith coming back after the death. It completely destroys the idea that Force ghosts are Jedi/light-side exclusive. Why can't deceased Sith Lords stay deceased?

But I digress. Please, continue the discussion on why TCW is better than Genndy's TCW...I mean on the two series in general. :p

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    This.

19. Darth_Gamek

Aug 10, 2009
    Finally someone respects my opinions! :p

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Sith spirits were unneeded in Ghosts of Mortis but leaving them out doesn't necessarily remove possibility of some kind of sith spirits existing- but they are not like jedi spirits not so real- more like... well... ghosts[face_skull] ... strong presence of the dark side taking form of being rather than spirit who actually talks and thinks like living soul- Dagobah cave had some kind of dark side spirit there at least...... other possibility is that sith can have "spirits" but they are not really dead at the time so they are 'mortal spirits' still connected to body which is in deep sleep/trance or even some place or object (through mystical manipulation of midichlorians) and destroying the place or object working as 'new body' for the soul- it kills them and makes them dead like dead should be-

there is many possibilities but dead sith should be dead- they cannot retain their identity in universe of the living when becoming one with the Force- they go to the netherworld[face_skull]- most probably some bad section of netherworld[face_devil] .... yet Mortis itself was so damn odd i don't think sith spirits there would've been any more problematic than anything else[face_mischief]

21. Darth_Gamek

Aug 10, 2009
    Sith spirits. [face_sick]

22. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    This. :p

23. Darth_Gamek

Aug 10, 2009
    I agree.

But let's get back on topic.

24. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Gamek acting as my understudy in keeping this on topic, much appreciated. Although I agree on the Sith Ghosts argument, they shouldn't be around unless they're "haunting" holocrons or temples, in which case I don't mind.

I would like TCW to stop focusing so much on Our Heroes and give us some more stories with other Jedi.

25. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    As much as I loved the old series, even though some of it was completely over the top, I'd love it if they did a TCW version of that Ithorian Force-screamer: Roron Corobb. He was just brilliant.

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091108160109/starwars/images/thumb/b/b3/Corobb.jpg/323px-Corobb.jpg]

I mean, there's a guy with a unique Force power which makes some sort of sense. A hypersonic scream amplified by the Force, it's a great idea. Perhaps it was a bit too powerful, but I'm sure they would downplay it for this series.

Plus! He's an Ithorian! Jedi! How COOL is that? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.