main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which is better Lord of the Rings or Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by JediMasterGaladriel, Nov 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I dunno, I love both. If I had to choose, I'd got with Star Wars as #1, with LOTR close as #1A

2. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Star Wars...hence the presence on the web site.

However, who would win in a cage match...Anakin or Strider?

Maybe the Jawas are distant cousins of those funny little hobbit folk from the shire?

3. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    They are both equal. They both have ability to make me want certain things (to be an Elf, a horse that looks like Shadowfax, lightsaber, X-wing...) and to cry, and to get goosebumps. They make me reckless, so excited I could scream. :D

4. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Actually LOTR has been around since the 50s. I know it was only in book form but obviously it has a fan base to warrant a trilogy 50 years later.

Don't get me wrong SW will always be number 1 to me but LOTR deserves its props.

5. QuiGonTim

QuiGonTim Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    You know I get annoyed when people compair or combine SW with other franchises, How ever, if you like Star treck, see what happens when you combine it with lord of the rings, and get spock singig about Bilbo.
    http://www.everlastingblort.com/fenestration/bilbo.mov
    see my point. Aren't you glad that isn't Obi-wan with elven Go-Go dancers.

6. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    They are both equally good.:)

7. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I certainly love Star Wars and enjoy it more than LotR. But FotR was absolutely incredible and will become a cult classic in its own right.

8. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Star Wars by a mile and this is why.

The Star Wars saga contains characters and situations that normal people can relate to. The Star Wars movies contain more humor, more colorful characters, a storyline that every Joe Schmoe out there can understand, and technology that is just incredible.

When it comes to LOTR, it gets tough. First off, it's 3 hours long and pretty soon 3 and a half hours long, and normal people sometimes have a tough time sitting through a movie that long. People who haven't read the books have a hard time understanding what is going on. I never read the books and don't care to, and I still don't know a few of the characters names even though i've seen the film 3 times.

Then there is the directors. George Lucas vs. Peter Jackson. Lucas is better by a mile, simply because he created his story. People say that he stole elements from other movies, but bottom line is he created his story. Jackson put a book on screen. By no means is that an easy task simply because fantasy stories are hard to put on screen, but he didn't write the books. Then you got to look at other movies that the directors have made. Lucas made American Graffiti, which is a very good film about the 50s, and he's worked with Steven Spielberg on the Indiana Jones series, which is simply excellent. Jackson's record simply isn't as impressive. He's made movies such as Dead Alive and Bad Taste. Considering how much people here hate movies with gore, i'm surprised Jackson gets as much credit as he does.

By no means do I think that LOTR is bad. I enjoyed FOTR a lot. But i've loved Star Wars since I was 5 years old and nothing will ever top it.

9. JediJenSkywalker

JediJenSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2002
    Probably Lord of the Rings movie wise because the movie was like so much better then Star Wars Attack of the Clones but not in movie terms Star Wars RULES ALL OVER! :cool:

10. JediKnightAphrodite

JediKnightAphrodite Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2002
    Star Wars ALL THE WAY! YEA BABY! :D

11. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    Well, LOTR has better CG than Star Wars.
    Especially that CG Jabba.

But SW has lightsabers and Jedi...

I.......CAN'T.......DECIDE!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGHHHH!

12. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Hm . . . I'm gonna say I like both equally, and therefore I shall take my place on the fence. ;) :D

R.

13. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Well, LOTR has better CG than Star Wars.

You must be kidding me.

14. Lord-Dooku

Lord-Dooku Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2002
    Definitely Lord of the Rings. Don't get me wrong, Star Wars is definitely fantastic, Episode 2 being my 2nd fave film of all time, but Lord of the Rings grabs the top spot. There is one thing that Star Wars excels in over LOTR, and that is special effects, but then again, with Episode 2 you can't help but feel it was made just to show off special effects, whereas LOTR just uses SFX to bolster its brilliance.
    Plus, LOTR has Orlando Bloom in it, playing Legolas, so that is a definite plus (I'm obsessed with Orlando Bloom and Legolas you see) mmmmm Legolas....
    Anyway, I still love Star Wars to bits!

15. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Does it really matter which is better? They are both two different things, and therefore, in my mind, uncomparable.

16. lumberjedi

lumberjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2002
    Star Wars, I was just not able to get into LOTR books, i could not finish FOTR. The movie was too long, and i found it boring, though it had great acting.

All you need is love!

17. Tiniwiel_Skywalker

Tiniwiel_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2002
    LOTR or SW?
    I can't choose,I love them both!
    You can't put two amazing stories against each other and expect people to tell you which they like best!

18. SlowLearner

SlowLearner Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2002
    No contest! SW all the way. I like LOTR, but I love SW. :)

19. MandolorianBH

MandolorianBH Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2002
    I would have to say star wars, even though lord of the rings is a great series, i have liked star wars all my life. it is a lifestyle. star wars has such an extended story beyond the movies and books and lord of the rings has just what you read in the books and see in the movies. anyway there are more books and movies about star wars than lord of the rings.

20. Jedi76

Jedi76 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    I like Lord of the Rings but I grew up on Star Wars so I will have to go with Co favorites they are both great in thier own way. I would like to ask if times were reversed and LOTR was realeased in 1977 and Star Wars was released now would people feel diffrently about the movies?

21. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Star Wars is better than The Lord Of The Rings is better than Star Wars is better than Star Wars is better than The Lord Of The Rings is better than Star Wars is better than Star Wars is better than The Lord Of The Rings is better than Star Wars is better than...

What was the question again?

22. Maladour-Fei

Maladour-Fei Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    If I'm forced to compare them I would compare the OT with LOTR. That would be a close call... I don't know. The PT however doesn't even get close to either of the trilogies (though I still have not seen TTT and ROTK I have the greatest faith in them being just as good as FOTR).

23. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I laugh when I see people say that FOTR just uses its FX to bolster its brilliance, and wouldn't even think of just showing them off. First of all...what brilliance? Second of all...it showed off its FX every bit as blatantly as either TPM or AOTC. But I don't think that showing off one's FX is a bad thing.

Even though I consider FOTR's FX inferior to TPM's or AOTC's, I still think they're pretty impressive. It just bothers me when people act like humble little Weta would never think of showing off its FX, whereas that's all ILM does. They both show off their FX, and that doesn't bother me. It's normal to take pride in your good work.

24. MaraJade55

MaraJade55 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2002
    It's all about the Star Wars thing! I love Lord of Of the Rings but I have to be true to my Star Wars obession!

25. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I have to go with SW...that is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.