main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which is better Lord of the Rings or Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by JediMasterGaladriel, Nov 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    I have a strong feeling that Star Wars will always be my favourite movies. However, LotR is a much better story. Star Wars has an awesome story as well, but I've never read a work of fiction that captivated me as much as The Lord of the Rings.

The reason I still say that Star Wars is my favourite set of movies is because the LotR movies will never adequately show Tolkien's brilliance.

2. MasterWilkin

MasterWilkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2002
    Wow, that is a hard choice. FOTR was an awesome movie, but it was ONE movie.....where Star Wars is a saga. The LOTR trilogy was all filmed at once, so there's a great deal to suggest that all three movies will be superb. Star Wars has some inconsistencies in acting between ROTJ and TPM that I wish were not there. I love all the Star Wars movies, but still....

I'm thinking of the whole picture, the books and movies of both stories. The original Star Wars' trilogy was absolutely breathtaking, and like so many have said, it was nothing like anyone had ever seen at that point in time. I'd venture to say that if ANH had not been made when it was made that things would have not progressed to where they are now, that FOTR would not have as spectacular effects. GL was instrumental in upping the ante on special effects.

What the LOTR has though, that Star Wars does not, is an exhaustively detailed backstory. Sure, Star Wars has some comic books and a few novels set way back when, but when you compare that to the Silmarillion, which goes all the way back to when Middle Earth was CREATED, then I'd have to say that LOTR beats Star Wars, hands down. I mean, who among us hasn't wanted to read about Centerpoint and the creation of the Corellian system, the Maw and how it came to be that way, more about the early days of the Sith, or a detailed account of Sekot's encounter with the "Far Outsiders." In the Silmarillion, you can do just that, thumb back and read it all. There are a few details that Tolkien does not get into (like what's the deal with the Balrog in Moria, how did it get there and why didn't Gandalf sense something that evil before then even went into the mines, etc.) but still.... more meat to sink your teeth into in LOTR.

Now if only I didn't grow up with Star Wars, it wouldn't be so difficult to decide, but Star Wars is as much a part of my childhood as legos and climbing trees... *sigh*

3. Lord_Makro

Lord_Makro Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 13, 2002
    Lord of the Rings is really great, but better than Star Wars???
    NOT A CHANCE !
    Star Wars is the greatest saga since Homer's epics...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.