DFW, TX Which is better: The DLP showing at Legacy or the 35mmFilm/THX at Galaxy 9??

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by DARTHKOOL, May 12, 2002.

?

Which is better: The DLP showing at Legacy or the 35mmFilm/THX at Galaxy 9??

Poll closed May 22, 2002.
Cinemark Legacy 15 vote(s) 62.5%
Galaxy 9 9 vote(s) 37.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator

star 5
    In the film print showing at the UA MacArthur, Padme grabs Ani's flesh hand. On the DLP, it's his mechanical hand.

2. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    Are you sure Nbooty? Cause if i recall correctly, in all the prints i have seen, she first grabs his left/flesh hand, then grabs the right/mech hand.

Oh well, i'll confirm one or the other on Thursday for the Galaxy.
  3. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think there is a Crack epidemic going on around the boards to be honest... :eek:
  4. Firehawk-Jeff Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah I noticed it too. In the DLP she grabs the mech. hand and in the print she grabs the flesh hand.
  5. Firehawk-Jeff Jedi Knight

star 1
    Let me clarify. Anakin has the mech. hand in both versions but in the DLP Padme actually grabs that hand. In the film print she grabs his other hand.
  6. Firehawk-Jeff Jedi Knight

star 1
    Mike. Post up what time you're going because I'm going back on Thursday also to see it.
  7. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
    OK now that makes more sense and to think about it I thought I saw that but thought my mind was playing tricks on me... Guess I wasnt the only one. On the Film version The panned down to his Mech hand but she didnt grab it like on the DLP.

8. Flix Jedi Padawan

Since DLP does not have any sort of anti-piracy protection, it was suggested that a subtle change be made to the movie for the DLP version. This way if a videotape turns up on the bootleg market that meets "X" scene, they know if it came from a DLP or a film print. If from a film print, they can track down the print and theater via the CAP code markings. If from a DLP, there's only about 60 running the film in the US, so that narrows things down a bit. I can't say for sure if this is the case, but if you think your minds are playing tricks on you, you may not necessarily be wrong here, as I'll bet you guys are right. Sometime in the next year or so I expect the DLP system to have a pretty fierce copy protection, but for now there's nothing. Our prints at the Galaxy came from different internegs and different film labs. I'll try and watch closely this week and see if there are any differences from print to print. It is possible Lucasfilm struck multiple versions to help track things down. I remember they did that quite a bit in Empire Strikes Back.

Regarding the Legacy, I just got a response back from the booth manager there who said that "the sound levels have not been touched since the last calibration" which he went on to explain was before Episode II opened. He further went on to clarify that "the levels have remained at 7.0 on both dolby units."

So for those who claim they hear a difference at the Legacy since the premiere night, your minds ARE playing tricks on you. The Legacy has had no change, or "ramp up" in the sound. It's another one of those "you read about it, so the mind tells you that when you re-visit the theater that you hear an improvement" things. Not true though. If you saw the opening night's performance at the Legacy, you got exactly the same performance that moviegoers are getting today, at this very second. Nothing has changed there.

Mike, feel free to ask for me when you get out of your Thursday 4:20 show. I will be there by the time it is over.
  9. Jedi_Mauk Jedi Padawan

I must say the Legacy was just fine. I got to watch the AOTC with my best friends. It was a rough day, the AOTC and my buds made it better. My only complaint would be the guy who couldn't set still and crushed our toes on his 40th trip down the aisle.
    But he is a Star Wars fan so that makes it OK.
  10. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ya brad and you are so special that everybody tells you everything....

I thought you were done posting... [face_plain] Or are you checking up on us for some Reason. All your stupid tech talk really bores the hell out of me. and it sure does talk up a lot of space.... Read a book or better yet write a book since you have so much to say.
  11. scudknight Jedi Knight

star 3
    You know it's funny some of you guys who sit behind that screen sure do talk a lot of crap. let's lighten up on the flaming, shall we?
  12. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Whatever I write, or type or whatever I will say over the phone, in person, on air, over a cliff, and on top of a roof. I havent flamed anyone just giving my personal oppinoin which is my GOD given right...

Dont like it, well I didnt ask...

Especially yours
    K.R.Wade III

13. Firehawk-Jeff Jedi Knight

star 1
    Come on guys let's all be friends here. We're all here for the same reason, we love Star Wars. No need for us to quarrel over such trivial things. Jedi traits these are not. :D
  14. scudknight Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's not your god given right here. And not when youre around me either. I take all those away. TFN not a democracy. Calling someone stupid or bashing them is reffered to as flaming. There are better ways to prove your point. I know with all the episode 2 excitement Mods have a little lacking in the Modding area, but thats no reason to say whatever you want. I've noticed you have a tendency to shoot off whenever you want. If you can't be civil, don't post. Plain and simple.
  15. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Let me quote myself.... "All your stupid tech talk...." Again no flame, was commenting on his TECH TALK not him.... Didnt say hey brad you are stupid, no I did not. So if you dont care for what I have to say then too damn bad. Sounds like a personal problem. Let me restate an earlier comment. If you dont like it too bad. Because I didnt ask...

I appreciate the interference Jeff, but I can put out my own flames... No pun intended.
  16. scudknight Jedi Knight

star 3
    Look, your comment was neither honorable nor just - if you think there was any warm decency in it you are confused. look back at your post. are you seriously proud of it? are you a big man because you brandished your "write a book" line? Puh-lease. The only one here with ill-intent is you. There is no room here for that kind of attitude. Leave that chip on your shoulder behind before posting. I personally don't appreciate being dissed by a Blockbuster employee, but I'm willing to let it slide. Just lighten up.
  17. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Again I will say I have the right to say WTF I want as long as I dont attack anyone. And right now you are doing the attacking. I dont give a rats behind what you think, nor am I gonna change how I talk to make you feel better. To hell with how you feel, I STILL DIDNT ASK.....

And as far as Im concerned you can keep you conversation to yourself and not direct it toward me. Because unlike you I dont have a problem telling anyone to their face what I say on a dam computer....

Have a Nice Day
  18. Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator

star 5
    Guys, take the bickering elsewhere.

Per the Jedi Council Forum Terms of Service:

User agrees not to post material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, that otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense. Also, as a general guideline, all users here should respect one another?s opinions and beliefs. User also agrees not to post spoilers regarding the upcoming Star Wars prequels in any forum outside of those specifically labelled as allowing spoilers (this includes posting spoilers of any type in your profile and signature).
    This applies to private messages as well.

Not my rules, I'm just one of the lucky bastadges what gets to enforce 'em.

Kenley et. al, away put your weapons, step back, keep the personal agendas in check, and practice those diplomatic skills. Remember, this forum has been set up as family-friendly.

Astute readers of our humble little board will have noticed a few threads that have disappeared and some posts that have been edited by the board moderators recently. If it's a conflict or discussion that wouldn't take place in a Disney movie, it's probably a safe bet that you're running a risk posting it here...please, think "What would Thumper do?" before you make an abrasive or baiting post.

[image=http://disney.go.com/DisneyBooks/Activities/RASBambi/RASBambi_Page06.jpg]

Again, I can point you to some fun, no-holds-barred Star Wars boards if you really must vent that spleen.

19. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Its Funny, because I thought that only Erica could piss me off and make me laugh at the same time. Brian again you have proven yourself with me with your words...

Red 5 Out
  20. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Uh oh. Brian, I think Kenley's got a crush on you. ;)
  21. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
    If he Shaves Ill take him... :D

You can call me Flower if you want too... [face_blush]
  22. jedilona Jedi Master

star 4
    Now THAT was too funny!! [face_laugh]
  23. krwade3 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I find this VERY offensive please stop it now, I am no ones Play thing (anymore) :D
  24. Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator

star 5
    Well, unless you put on that Little Mermaid costume, I must respectfully decline your offer. Sorry :p

[image=http://i.disney.go.com/disneygo/DisneyVideos/animatedfilms/littlemermaidadventures/whale/image1.gif]

EDIT:

I just got off the phone with the Legacy's general manager. He does not know of any changes to the volume level in theater 13 (7 is the standard volume), but they may have upped it for the evening showings, and there have been various people from Texas Instruments in the projection booth tweaking the DLP, so that could account for some of the perceived increase in sound for those of us who've seen it there since the midnight showing.

Anybody have the equipment necessary to fully measure the audio qualities at the various theaters? Taking into account the ambient acoustics, etc.?

Until such time, I can merely relate my experiences: I enjoyed the midnight premiere (but was nearly exhausted) at the Legacy, then got to liking the film a little more at the Galaxy on Thursday, but was distracted by some graininess and the occassional blurry image, then was pleasantly surprised on Friday when the Legacy's sound seemed louder/heavier on the bass, coupled with the crisp visuals (this was my favorite showing so far), and then Saturday, again at the Legacy, in the very top row with celebrities in attendance. This was my least favorite viewing of the movie (though some fun non-movie-related events made it enjoyable nonetheless).

Advantage goes to the Legacy, as far as my contribution to this poll goes.

Planning on seeing it at the UA MacArthur tonight or Thursday...betting it'll be #3 on my list of theaters.

25. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    Ok guys, i have tix to see AOTC tonight at the Legacy DLP at 7:30.

Then i have tix to see it at Galaxy on Thursday on screen 5 at 1:10.

If anyone would like to join me, you are more than welcome. I'm gonna be looking for some of the easter eggs and other rumors today and compare them to thursday's film version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.