main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Which is more fun - the last half hour of AOTC or the first half hour of ROTS?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthHomer, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_ChewyCharmy1

Darth_ChewyCharmy1 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2002
    Personally, I think the last 40 minutes of Attack of the Clones is the most exhilarating in the entire saga.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I have to agree that AOTC is one of the most visual stunning movies in the entire saga but the lines and stuff lower it for me. I will be watching the movies sometime soon to see where they all rank and make changes if necessary which I probably will

3. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I going to have to go with ROTS. AOTC is a great film but ROTS has better humor and I like how Obi-Wan and Anakin have a buddy thing between them, rather than the father-son thing in AOTC.

4. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    What a lot of people don't realize is that the whole C-3p0 head/body switching thing in AOTC is so much MORE than just a simple gag. The whole thing is a metaphor for Anakin and the war itself. 3-p0 is symbolic of whatever state anakin is in throughout the Saga. This is why Lucas made Anakin be the one who built 3p0 in TPM. In TPM he is "naked" and innocent like anakin. In ROTS he is finally shining and thinks he "is starting to get the hang of this flying business" but then gets his memory wiped and is forced to now "unlearn What he has learned" and start over again. When we see him in ANH he is dirty and not shiny at all. In the TESB commentary Lucas talks about this saying "when he sees his son reject his dark offer the same way his wife did he is totally lost...he is...3p0 disassembled" and in the end of that film 3p0 is disassembled as well. Its not until ROTJ when 3p0 is finally in his element and he gets to translate and be very useful (the ewoks worshiping him and so on) just as in that film anakin comes back and fulfills the prophecy.

In AOTC we see him become totally discombobulated (like the galaxy now is) more so than in any other episode because thats when all the chaos of war breaks out and everything with anakin and the republic starts to go to hell. This is why we hear him say things like "im so confused" and "is my head on straight?!" almost as if its what the little boy deep inside anakins subconscious/soul is crying out saying but through 3p0. Its the total innocence of 3p0 and how he is being (literally and figuratively" torn apart by much greater forces than he can or could possibly understand that is the metaphor for anakin.

Lucas has put much into this and if you just keep it in mind and watch for it you will connect a lot more dots for yourself. This is just another example of why people need to start seeing the saga more for the way Lucas crafted it rather than just always thinking of how it could fit what THEY think it "should" be.

Its all apart of Lucas's whole thing with the relationship between man and machine that runs throughout all his movies. And the last hour of AOTC is one of the best examples of this. [face_coffee]

That would be just one of the many reasons why I always prefer AOTC.

5. Jeanine Berry

Jeanine Berry Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2012
    I honestly cannot make a decision. However, if need-be, I'll go with ROTS just because I love that movie so much. Buuut...I never turn down a good saber fight.

6. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    I also think the lightsaber duel between Anakin and Count Dooku at the end of AOTC is one of the best in the Saga (or at least my personally favorite). Anakin cuts the light and draws dooku into the dark. The music. The darkness. The lightsaber colors flashing on anakins face blue and red. You get the feeling of the danger in it. You get the feeling that it is a duel to the death.=D=

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I just wish that scene was longer

8. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I would vote for ROTS. The opening shots of the space battle were epic, plus the CGI appears to be improved by leaps and bounds over AOTC.

9. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Tough call, but not that tough – Attack of the Clones.

Look, the opening set pieces to Revenge of the Sith are all that and a bag of Skittles (or a box of Goobers, to my preference), but the last act of Attack of the Clones launches the Star Wars saga into a whole new stratosphere of weirdness. No, scratch that: from the very opening of Attack of the Clones is where said launching occurs; the last half hour is where Lucas lets loose an assortment of vintage boyhood imaginations writ large: prehistory/sword & sandal Harryhausen Dynamation, the bizarro Martian-like disconnect of 50s sci-fi magazines, curious battle droids of all walks and wheels fighting unsympathetic, sleek white Clone troopers; the rip-roaring, scoreless sound design of the three arena monsters as they snarl and claw at our three chained heroes; the flashes of pink and blue blaster bolts streaking across the screen amidst a dust storm firefight, and the cleverly subversive tonal confusion on the audiences’ behalf as we’re never quite sure which army, which side, we’re supposed to be rooting for. This is not your usual good versus evil Star Wars battle. This is something else: the utter geekdom of a spaced-out galaxy war as we each would fantasize during our prepubescent years; total war for the sake of total war; playing in dirt clod ditches with our action figures but visualizing the most epic of battlefields. I love the bold look of the Geonosis: both landscape and sky shamelessly, unapologetically, uniformly copper. It’s not pretty or romantic or Earthly familiar. It is truly alien in the way dreamed by sci-fi illustrators of the first half 20th century and the matt painters of Forbidden Planet. It’s strictly a boy’s world of flying insectoids, tinker-toy robots, crab monsters and other weird shít. I love the over-in-an-instant showdown between Jango Fett and Mace Windu; the rough'n'tumble of the former vs. the elegant death-dealing of the other latter. I love the subtextual-sexual fetish of Padme’s bondage, chained to a phallic symbol; shirt torn, midriff revealed, a scream of pain. I love that unseen arrhythmic tribal drumming that accompanies the arena monsters as they wreak havoc.

I love the line, "Around the survivors a perimeter create!" for being so utterly odd.

I love the tone-poem strobe lighting exchange between Anakin and Dooku, a departure from razor sharp choreography for something more intimate yet equally abstract. And, lastly, I love the duel between Dooku and Yoda. Never before or since has a cinematic event been simultaneously awesome and downright fúcking absurd. It’s almost as if, for the briefest moment, Lucas discovered some new plane of surrealism where the two opposing extremes join to become one – Dracula saber fencing a flipping, twirling frog-man ...played absolutely straight, making it all the more hilarious.

Those are just a few of my thoughts.

10. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Revenge of the Sith.

R2-D2 and C-3PO ruined the Battle of Geonosis for me. Those jokes are... bad. And I don't see any good metaphor in it.

11. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Much as I love AOTC's action sequence, the Anakin/Obi-Wan banter going on in that ROTS opening along with Obi-Wan's quip to end it all puts that opening sequence over the top. So, ROTS it is.

12. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Very tough decision! AOTC had the Obi-Wan, Anakin and Yoda vs. Count Dooku duel which was really good and the battle of Geonosis which was great. ROTS had Obi-Wan and Anakin vs. Count Dooku which was pretty good and it had the introduction to General Grievous and Obi-Wan and Anakin vs. Grievous' MagnaGuards which was really cool. There was also the crash landing of Grievous' ship which was cool.
    I'm gonna choose the first half an hour of ROTS mainly because of Grievous, but it was close!

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This is a tough one...

I love the climax of AOTC, one of my favorite action sequences in the saga...but I think I'd have to go with ROTS. You never really see a movie begin from the opening scene with such a fast paced, exciting action sequence. It immediately captures you and gets you into the movie. Just that feeling like you're coming into the middle of something intense...you see the jedi starfighters flying past the star destroyer, and suddenly they turn, and then you see...all hell is breaking loose!!! It's great!

I also think it was done very well. I remember the first time I saw ROTS in the theatre and I saw that opening sequence. I knew it opened with a "space battle" of some sort, but I wasn't prepared for that!! Some nice banter throughout, and some of the best lightsaber dueling anywhere! Just after crash landing on Coruscant, when we see Obi-Wan and Anakin land at the senate building to let Palpatine off and everything slowed down, I remember at that moment feeling just...exhilarated, and almost having to catch my breath! It was a GREAT feeling! The best opening to any movie I've ever seen.

14. Silas Tri

Silas Tri Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 6, 2012
    I like them both, but I have to go with the opening half hour of ROTS. It is breathtaking stuff.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Revenge of the Sith, is kind of interesting to mention. It had so many great, epic, fantastic parts, that make the prequels just as good if not better than the originals- Anakin gets knighted darth vader and the imperial march plays, anakin turns to evil out of a desire to save luke and leia's mom from dying in childbirth after having a force vision, the scene with the wailing in the background called padme's ruminations, anakin's black robes, yellow sith eyes, seeing anakin become vader before the suit, how "across the stars" played before padme and anakin met for the last time, their emotional, dramatic, and tragic conversation, the duel with obi wan, anakin getting burned and disfigured in the duel with kenobi, and becoming the cyborg samurai that everyone considers darth vader, and so on. Yet, it was equally bad as it was great.

The clone wars wasn't the way it should've been. There should've been an invasion from another galaxy, that would be the best, if not that, maybe just an evil galactic faction. But the war against the Separatists made no sense. The galactic republic was corrupt, they wanted to leave it, and the jedi "good guys" went to war over it? Didn't make sense. General grevious was a terrible villain, he was awesome in clone wars cartoons, but terrible in the movie, in mannerisms, how he acted as a villain, etc.

However, the 1st half or episode 3 was better. Regardless of plot holes, it was awesome. The space battles and special effects, the count dooku scene mirroring the scene in Return of the Jedi, they rescued the emperor (who pretended to be a good guy), anakin being a pilot like Luke, seeing darth vader flying a space plane as a young jedi man, before his transformation into an evil cyborg, r2d2 flying with him, and padme telling anakin she was going to have kids (luke and leia!), was far more entertaining than the last half hour of episode 2, which was ok, but kind of boring.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    From the Carbon-Freezing chamber scene (where Han is Frozen in carbonite) on to the end of the movie is my favorite conclusion for the movies and the best part of Star Wars to me.

17. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Nah. My favorite conclusion was Anakin Skywalker, Obi wan, and yoda's force ghosts looking at Anakin's children-Luke and Leia.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Han and Leia declaring their love for each other, the carbon-freezing, the procession, Leia and Chewie warn Luke, Boba shots at Luke, Vader vs. Luke, The Force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet, Lando turns the tables on the Imperials, The good guys try to reach Slave 1 but fail, then fight their way to the Falcon, charge back to save Luke, No, I am your father, the music, the lighting, the tension with the hyperdrive (will they get out of there) and so on and so forth. Most exciting finale in all of Star Wars.

19. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    My favorite thing about the saga is the transformation of darth vader from a young, long dark haired 20 yr old guy who looks like a metal singer, to a cyborg samurai with a bald, pale, white face. And falling into the lava which is the transition state.

Another thing. "No i am your father" is way more exciting now that we have the prequels. "No, i am your father with the long hair before my face got all pale white and i got this suit and helmet and i was a jedi played by hayden christensen and had that cool, whiny voice". Vader never met his children, until he became a cyborg. As he was being rebuilt, they were being born.

Anakin, in his normal looking appearence, knew his wife would have a kid. Now he meets his son, as a cyborg. Never gets to see his son looking like a normal guy. The ending of ROTJ doesn't count, his face was disfigured and pale and bald and burned.

Vader from the originals being the same person as anakin from the prequels makes his story way more interesting.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What? I was referring to the movies by themselves, not the series as a whole.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Empire strikes back had an ok ending, on its own. With the prequels, it's way way better![face_dancing]

22. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    If I'm honest I didn't overly enjoy the start of RotS. My problems with it were that it felt almost separate from the rest of the film. My issues are this;

Firstly it felt too fast paced. I'm not just talking about the speed of the scenes but also how much we have thrown at us in such a short time. We've got the chancellor captured, a new character introduced, an evolved relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan, homages to the OT, references to events we haven't seen or heard of before, a duel that is a very important follow up to the previous film that doesn't fulfil it's potential and random moments of humour that feel mildly out of place.

Secondly it doesn't connect with the rest of the film for me. The opening of RotS is humerus and light with the characters being portrayed as close and reliant on each other. The rest of the film has a much darker and serious tone. This wouldn't be an issue for me if it transitioned well from one feel to the other but for me it doesn't. We go from one to the other in a relatively short space of time and have the characters grow distrustful and further apart so quickly that it's hard to really notice what caused the change.

Thirdly the humour. A lot of it felt out of place and very forced. The humour in the other five films generally works (with the exception of Jar Jar for me) but here it just doesn't feel right. I don't know if it's the idiocy of the droids or the foolishness of the characters or the dialogue between Anakin and Obi Wan but none of it works right.

I know a lot of this stuff has it's explanations in the EU which is great for me, but when watching it with friends and family who are only interested in the films and the odd game here and there it doesn't mix as well as I feel it could.

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What homages to the OT?

24. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012

Homages might not be the best phrase to use but I mean things like, the ARC-170 and it's targeting computer being the same as Luke's from ANH.

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Whats wrong with homages?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.