main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which is stronger the light side or the dark side

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by GimmeDeeLyte, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000

Point taken DD, but you have to note that 1) The sith do not truly connect themselves with the living force

How do we know this?

and 2) and the reason Jedi are preserved after life is so they can assist others.

The ends justify the means?

Whether or not they want to serve teh force, in the afterlife, it is still a self-serving purpose as well....eternal life?

To qoute Obi-Wan:

So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.

Indeed.

I can't find the quote:

Luke: So it controls your actions?
    OB1: Partially, but it also obeys your commands.

DD - Love & Laughter

2. Jedi_Lord_Windu

Jedi_Lord_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    jedi are stronger than sith, if u wanna argue, just take a look at who's left at the end of ROTJ?, thats right, the jedi order will continue uninterruopted while the sith will be extinct for a loooooong time

3. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Or you could argue; who dies between Episode II and Episode IV;

-1 Sith (Dooku)
    -Every single Jedi except Obi Wan and Yoda.

4. cheese_boy

cheese_boy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2003
    I think they are as powrful as one another, the difference is in how the power is exercised. The Dark Side is used to destroy and harm, rather than for 'knowledge and defense'. It depends on your personal point of view though - what do you believe would be a greater exercise of power - passively helping everyone live peacefully, or killing those you oppose? Would you value the power to kill more than the power to heal?

5. Jedi_Lord_Windu

Jun 21, 2003
    power to heal and keep the peace

6. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    The Darkside is more powerful in some aspects. It can cloud the lightside but overall I think the lightside would always end up prevailing against the darkside.

7. Star_of_the_Darkside

Star_of_the_Darkside Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2003
    I would have thought that they were equally powerful, because the light and dark are two sides of the same force. It's just that learning to use the lightside takes longer than learning to use the darkside because lightside is constructive and darkside is destructive. It's generally more difficult to build something than it is to knock it down.

8. CCK

CCK Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    i think that's a great analogy SOTD.

9. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    well...the Dark side is the stronger of the sides of Force.

Hatred/Anger is the strongest emotion of human nature. So, when you use those to fuel the Force, then you have the "stronger" Force side.

But the user is weaker for the use.

So, with all of the discipline of the Light side, then you also have a stronger conviction...making it the stronger side.

10. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    I think it's worth noting that there is always a payoff with power- that of control.

More power= less control.

It's like a hammer- hold it at the head, and you've got better control, hold it at the end of the handle and you get more power- but less control.

The Dark Side gives you more power, but makes you more susceptible to control from outside (eg. Palpatine's manipulation of Luke's anger, the Rebellion's hate, Padme's fears etc.)

11. Jedi_Lord_Windu

Jun 21, 2003
    well put SCOTT!

12. Wolf3118

Wolf3118 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 11, 2003
    darkside may seem to be the superior path, but when the sith die they don't, "Become more powerful then you can possibly imagine"
    Speaking of which, I wonder what Obi Wan really means when he says that.

13. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    it means he does not really die!!

his body is gone but he is still around and can make contact with others who can use the force.

14. Wolf3118

Sep 11, 2003
    Either way the Jedi path is the right path to go for me.

15. Wolf3118

Sep 11, 2003
    Sometimes I think that some sith become too powerful. They just get so filled up with dark energy that thier body cannot control it. Palpatine became a crapped out and crusty guy who has been in the Empire a bit too long that Anakin couldent take it any more and just killed him.

16. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    The dark side is not powerful at all. The Lightside of the Force and the way of the Jedi is far stronger than the dark side of the Force. The dark side requires nothing more than emotion and ignorance combined with skill in using the Force. Obi-Wan said that the Force obeys your commands. So, it's all in what purpose you're using it for.

Simply put, the dark side is what the lightside is not, and vice versa. But because the Force is pure on its own, ready to be felt and used, the lightside it stronger.

17. Wolf3118

Sep 11, 2003
    Very well put.

18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    ah, the eternal debate. ;)

In SW: Republic #53, Asajj Ventress tells the Jedi "your whole order couldn't destroy me".

Jon Antilles replies: "We won't need to. The Dark Side has already destroyed you."

I'd also like to point out that the Sith were driven back into the shadows of the galaxy for a thousand years. Clearly the Jedi would win in a straight battle.

The genius of Sidious is that he has discovered a way to defeat the Jedi without having to face them.

19. KSA

KSA Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2003
    D&D

The quote is from ROTJ when Obi-Wan appears as a ghost. Watch and you'll find it.

I think that people are taking the self serving thing too literally.

I mean, from what it sounds like here, a Jedi can't eat because that would be in his own interest.

Light side because it doesn't destroy the wielder of the Power.

Yoda (AOTC with the younglings)

"Harder to answer is. Meditate on this, I will."

20. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Simply put, the dark side is what the lightside is not, and vice versa. But because the Force is pure on its own, ready to be felt and used, the lightside it stronger."

There are no "sides". The Force is the Force. The "sides" are metaphors for the intent of the user.

The two sides of the force: separate or part of a whole? and Balance of the Force discuss this in greater detail.

21. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    *bump*

Let the debate continue.

22. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    MeBeJedi was correct.

23. DARTHMAULSBIGBRO

DARTHMAULSBIGBRO Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2004
    Greetings as a direct answer to which side is stronger I will say its the dark side.A jedi can not have a loving partner.Dont you feel you could give anything,even life for love?It doesnt really matter how long you can harness its destructive potential.Every soul in this universe dies eventually and a sith makes sure he lives to the very best of his,her potential.Yes it destroys,burns,consumes,somehow like real life not always is beautifull but it has its reason to be.The jedis are too confident of their abilities.Isnt a knigth supposed to attack in order to defend their people.How can you attack if you only learn to defend yourself.Then you see me crossing the planet and you want to kill me because im a sith.ILL CRUSH YOU EASIER THAN SNAPPING MY FINGERS!!!and leave you like banta puttu.The sith dont need big numbers only one or two in a really good mood will destroy more jedis than you can count.And who doesnt want more power even at some cost(maybe ones life)NO PAIN NO GAIN!!!!The dark side is stronger and short lived and very sweet.After all you can remember a few of the jedis of thousands but can you forget a single sith that has been in the movies Na dont think so either.

24. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    yeah, I see your point - the Dark Side certainly seems to give the individual user more power.

And in the movies, we certainly see how powerful one or two Sith could be - yet in a way, the Jedi are just as powerful.

Mace Windu is just as powerful as Dooku (speculation of course).

Obi-Wan is just as powerful as Darth Maul.

Yoda is just as powerful as Sidious.

This is all my personal opinion, of course - but it seems to be in how one USES the Force, as many wiser souls have noted above.

But as I've stated before, the Jedi won the Jedi/Sith wars - for over a thousand years, the Sith couldn't move from the shadows.

And Luke shows the Light Side is more powerful - not only does he single-handedly destroy the Death Star in ANH, he takes out 2 Sith by de-activating his lightsaber. :D

The fact that the Sith have to move in the shadows MUST mean that they usually wouldn't win in a direct conflict.

25. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    This goes back to this "is there really 2 different sides" argument. I don't think there are. The Force is the Force, it's all in how you use it. IMO the Jedi have exactly the same potential that the Sith have, but the difference is choice. The Jedi choose not to abuse the natural way of the Force. But the Sith don't care and tap into that power. But when they do that, it upsets the natural balance of everything. Yoda says "The Dark Side clouds everything"... but if he reached a little bit into the Dark Side I'm sure it would have all become clear... but he couldn't do that, because it's aganist their philosophy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.