main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which is the best Star Wars prequel movie of the FIVE?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Downunder, May 30, 2018.

?

My favourite SW prequel is

1. The Phantom Menace

5.6%
  2. Attack of the Clones

6.0%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

46.8%
  4. Solo

8.3%
  5. Rogue One

33.3%
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Back by popular demand, let's rate the ever growing no of SW prequels. Now updated to include 'Solo'. There are now more prequels to the original 1977 movie than sequels! 5 compared to 4. Not to mention the two canonical prequel animated series. SW is now more prequely than ever.

Also, the previous thread has been run & done. The new kid on the block, Rogue One was voted the best prequel. Narrowly edging out RotS for that title. Let's see how they fare now with an extra movie thrown into the mix. Feel free to rank the prequels too, if ranking is your thing.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Rogue One for me.

3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I concur. To quote Mark Hamill, it's Rogue Onederful. Solo & RotS equal second.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Rogue One. It was a significant storyline and they really nailed it.

5. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Rogue One - No contest! As close to a 10/10 Star Wars film as we will ever see =D=

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  6. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    I don't see any prequel, or really any Star Wars film dethroning Clones for me.

7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, my thoughts from the last thread still stand. It's the PT on top, closely followed by Rogue One, and now Solo's tacked on at the end of the list.

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    R1 was the most powerful and moving, but Han was a lot of fun. I will not speak on the PT.

Darth__Lobot and Avnar like this.
  9. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    ROTS is still the best for me because it's just so darn dramatic. Solo is second best, followed by Rogue One.

Cave of Erised and Darkslayer like this.
  10. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Rogue One always. Like ESB or ANH, I doubt many films will ever rank above it for me. It’s not a fair fight.

Darth__Lobot and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  11. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    Will definitely be in the minority but I preferred Solo to Rogue One thanks in part to the more endearing cast and fun vibe the movie offered. The banter between the characters and the way they played off of one another felt much more like the classic Star Wars I love compared to the rather dry interactions in much of Rogue One. Solo was a more engaging and fun ride, even if it didn't add as much to the rest of the saga as Rogue One or the prequel trilogy movies. Arguably ROTS has the most to offer as a prequel in terms of fleshing out the Star Wars narrative, but has too many problems for me to consider it as enjoyable a movie as Solo, a movie which I had surprisingly few issues with.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ROTS, of course. The other four are all pretty close.

13. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    My favorite SW prequel is Rogue One.
    Followed closely by AOTC, ROTS, TPM, and then Solo.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Revenge of the Sith, Solo, Rogue One, Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones.

placing Solo ahead of R1 for now just cuz Solo is really a lot of fun, R1 is a bit on the heavy side, very well done but heavy. Sith is too but it's sorta supposed to be.

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  16. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    Rogue One is a very close second to ROTS. The real edge for me in ROTS is the Anakin and Obi-Wan dynamic (Jyn and Cassian are likeable leads but I find them and their chemistry less compelling than the surrounding cast).

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Solo, by far.

RiddleMeThis likes this.
  18. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    ROTS for me. So emotionally charged.

19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Revenge of the Sith by far. The very essence of space opera.

20. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'll go ahead and join the minority with you. The other films have a ton to offer, but Solo is my favorite prequel by far.

RiddleMeThis, Darkslayer and Bee Bee like this.
  21. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Right now, Solo, followed by Rogue One and Revenge of the Sith.

ROTS is decent, but still has some really cringeworthy writing. I enjoy the third act of Rogue One, but most of the film is a chore to sit through and the characters, while fun, aren't very interesting.

Solo has its flaws, but I found that the movie never really dragged, was well-acted, and I that many of the characters were both enjoyable and interesting. Of all the prequels, it was probably the best at what it was trying to be: a fun adventure movie. Revenge and Rogue One had loftier goals, but didn't really meet them, in my opinion.

22. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I voted ROTS though it might swap places with TPM on a given day. Before TCW, I would never have put TPM near ROTS but now, TPM meshes better with TCW than ROTS does which makes ROTS difficult for me to watch now. Looks so much like a live-action TCW episode but without the best elements.

But judged on its own, ROTS covers a truly epic moment in history, has a terrific visuals and music and was the PT spotlight for Ian McDiarmid (hands down my favorite element of the PT.) So I'm giving it my vote.

Darkslayer likes this.
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    TPM > ROTS > AOTC

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Two things are being asked here. Best and Favorite.

Even though the actual question is favorite I'll go with the best as an answer which is ROTS but my 0.001% edge out favorite is TPM. It's a tie really but just to make that distinction. Then AOTC then a step down to R1 then another step to Solo.

TPM is extremely easy to watch as fun adventure that sets up the entire saga while ROTS I have to gear up for. It's so emotional that I can't just throw it on and relax like TPM. AOTC is between those two but far easier. So I guess the point is that it ramps up from I to II to III as it should.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    -NaTaLie- and Darkslayer like this.
  25. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    Its tough: AOTC and ROTS are my favorite SW movies. Solo and RO fit in nicely behind them. I really love Solo though.

Valency Jane and Darkslayer like this.