main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Which is the Greater Love Story? Padme/Anakin or Leia/Han Solo

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by SkywalkerJedi02, Nov 7, 2013.

?

Which is the Greater Love Story? Padme/Anakin or Leia/Han Solo

1. Padme/Anakin

24 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Leia/Han Solo

26 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    In my opinion it has to be Padme & Anakin because theirs is a story that is a true story of love where Han and Leia was more of a love triangle that then develops into one but with Padme & Anakin we have a story that goes straight through from a beginning with them meeting and then they meet each other as adults and she develops feelings for him and you have her finally admit them to him and the wedding. Then the pregnancy and Anakin's unrelenting passionate love for her drives him to do terrible things just to save her life, and the fact that it all ends in tragedy ala Romeo & Juliet it makes the story and love that much deeper, I'm glad that Padme and Anakin where rejoined by the ways of the force, but overall I think theirs is a Better story in the end.

MissFortune likes this.
  2. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I'm gonna catch a lot of flak for saying this, but everything Han Solo does is overrated. In my opinion, his ship and gun are cooler than he is. To this end, the Leia/Han romance is a little shoehorned for my liking. Padme/Anakin on the other hand is one of the most epochal plot movements in Star Wars, albeit their character chemistry isn't on the same level as Han and Leia's; you kinda you have to watch Padme and Anakin's love story as though it's some kinda avant-gard french film if you want it to make any emotional sense. Unless Leia/Han's son or daughter is the protagonist of the next trilogy, then I don't really think there's any comparison to Padme and Anakin, who are ultimately responsible for the events of the OT.

And this has bugged me since 1999, but "Padme" is an extremely stupid name. Who puts a D next to an M for gods' sake?

darskpine10 likes this.
  3. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    For me, it's clearly Anakin/Padme. It's a love story that touches at the very core of our existence... how far would any of us go to protect and shelter the ones we love most dear. When I was single, the answer was much different, than my answer when first married... and now that I have children of my own - the answer becomes almost rhetoric... I'd do ANYTHING to protect my wife and children... now some of those "anything's" are probably things that I'd have to hesitate and think longer about, but trust me when I tell you that my "feelings for them are strong." ;)

When Anakin sits in the Temple while the other Jedi are attempting to arrest Palpatine, I can completely identify with his fear... his fear of loss, losing the one he holds most dear. In that way, it certain lessens the vilification of Anakin as a blood-thirsty Sith Lord and makes him sympathetic from that standpoint.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought it was a nod to the mantra "Om mani padme hum".

5. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    It probably is since Padme is a hindu word. But still... it's a lame name.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Holy hell. Really?

Because nothing says "true love" like "I'm going to kill a lot of innocent people because some old creepy dude said that that would make you immortal, and if you don't like that, I'll choke you myself."

I really liked the A/P love story through the first two prequels; they started out being friends when they were kids, had the long absence but the connection was always there, and was sparked immediately when they met again. Anakin had never dated, and he had a huge crush on Padme and no idea how to handle it, thus the cringe-worthy lines. I found AOTC romance sweet, with my only issue being that it needed a little more expansion.

ROTS ruined it for me though. There was absolutely nothing about Anakin's behavior that suggested love, and Padme...I have no doubt that she loved Anakin, but letting that love supersede all rational behavior on her part was annoying, and destroyed her character, both in my eyes and in universe.

Han and Leia...well, they started out going at each other's throats, and you know what they say, the opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference. I kind of knew they'd end up together, even though I was too young when the OT ran to even know what that meant, and even though Lucas did try an asinine attempt at a triangle. They both had to drop their pride long enough to even notice they had feelings for each other, and it seemed to happen gradually...as in, "he bugs me, but I respect him, I like having him around. In fact, I don't care what the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell said, I really, really don't want him to go." And it grew from there, over time, until the "I love you" over the carbon freeze chamber. There was some build up and pride-swallowing on Padme and Anakin's part as well, from the time they acknowledged that they couldn't have a romantic relationship to the "I truly, deeply love you" going into the arena...and I liked that.

As far as my personal take on the subject...I would take a bullet for my kids, but they are the only people on Earth that I would take a bullet for, and I have no respect or even sympathy for what Anakin did "for Padme" in ROTS. I don't think there is anything healthy or remotely virtuous about that type of obsessive "love," and that any sort of healthy relationship involves friendship, mutual respect, having interests independent of that person and always keeping one's head on one's shoulders. Anakin and Padme had potential in an alternate universe, but ROTS killed that potential.

I also believe that the kind of passionate firecracker romance independent of friendship, the type that romance novels idealize, only has the potential to end up in hell. Both ROTS and Romeo and Juliet proved that. Romeo and Juliet were ****ing idiots but they were also kids and can be forgiven for it.

So...yeah. Han/Leia all the way.

7. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I think I agree with AF83 on everything except
    . That was the moment I stopped enjoying the Ani/Padme story.

8. SkywalkerJedi02

Jul 3, 2013
    Of course it's true love he was willing to do ANYTHING to save her life he was willing to kill loads of people even children and I would do the same if I thought that's what it took, you have to remember that Anakin had already seen his mother die from doing nothing about his gears for her life so of course when he Believed Padme's life being in danger he wasn't going to sultans by and do nothing this time, and on the Han Solo Leia thing again it's not really a true love story like I said, they grew to love each other unlike A & Who cared and loved each other from the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

You and I have a very different definition of love then. If love means willing to murder innocent people for the object of one's affection, I don't want anyone loving me.

And it's not real love if friendship happens first? It must be love at first sight? Even my 8-year-old knows that **** only happens in really bad movies.

Thank you for sharing though. That was ****ing hilarious.

10. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    It's not true love. Do you really think that Padmé wanted Anakin to do those things, even for her (especially for her sake)? Anakin's actions were due to attachment and fear, but not love.

That being said, I understand Anakin -- if it's a choice between being a murderer or having someone you love die, sometimes the choice isn't as easy as one would like to believe.

If I was given the choice between letting my younger brother die or killing a bus full of five-year olds I don't know what I'd do. Because I'd know that if I let my brother die when I could have saved him that I wouldn't be able to live with myself. Either way, no matter which choice I made, my life would essentially be over. At least if I chose to save my brother I would be happy knowing that he'd still be alive. And, truthfully, my brothers' life matters more to me than the life of twenty random children. Call it selfish (because it is) but it's the truth.

What's worse: living alone as a good person? Or being a monster but having the people you love?

I'm often reminded of parents who spend millions of dollars trying to keep their pre-term babies alive. Do you know how many children you could save with that money? Children in the third world who simply need basic medical care or vaccinations? And yet, the parents don't care -- no cost is too high to save their child even if it means that money isn't used to save the lives of dozens of others. It's a more passive form of the scenario I proposed but the main point remains.

11. SkywalkerJedi02

Jul 3, 2013
    That's what I was saying you'd do anything to save a loved one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You really, really missed the point.

13. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    I like both for different reasons but the whole tragic element for me leans towards anakin/padme

14. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    It depends. If it were my parents, I wouldn't do so -- because I know that they would never be able to live with themselves knowing I had become a murderer to save them.

With my brother, it's different though. I have a responsibility to him -- to protect and care for him. And I don't owe those random children anything. At the same time, though, that doesn't give me the right to take their lives for my brother's.

But here's the thing -- I don't know that I would say that I chose my brother because I loved him. Because I love my parents too but I would be capable of making a different choice in their case. I would choose my brother simply because I couldn't live with the pain of losing him. But that's not really analogous to love. Love is certainly a factor, but it's not the only one.

The sad thing is that I let people die for silly reasons every day. The computer I'm typing on for instance -- I could sell it and use the money to help feed dozens of kids and maybe even save a few lives. But I don't. And why don't I? For the pettiest reason imaginable -- because I like being able to use the internet. It's extremely convenient for me.

Now, that's not the same as killing someone, because there I am going out of my way to take their right to life whereas before I was merely ignoring a person I had no responsibility to, but either way, it's based on the same principle. I do what I do because it brings me the least pain. And seeing as how I don't have to see starving children or children in need of medical care every day, I am perfectly fine keeping my computer due to the joy its use brings me.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would have liked to say that I understand Anakin, but his stupidity and selfishness kept that from happening.

16. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

I understand it because, from what I can tell, Anakin essentially sees his situation as both the Jedi and Padmé having a bomb strapped to them. And Palpatine, who holds all the cards, is giving him the choice to kill either one. Now, of course, you'd be correct in pointing out that Anakin's scenario isn't really equatable with this, but I think the trauma of the loss of his mother has made him so fearful that he can't think about the situation rationally.

You noted, for example, that you would take a bullet for your children. Well, would you kill innocents for them? Or would you let them die? Note that I'm not trying to single you out anakinfan -- it's more of a rhetorical question. But I already know the answer to that question for myself. And I'm no hero in this situation, sadly.

17. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    If I'm going to be honest I'd have to say neither felt natural to me, but I don't think movie romances come across as natural anyway, there is simply no time to develop a relationship in a movie for it to be especially convincing, a rare few have managed to achieve it. Also for it to work the actors have to have chemistry, which I don't believe Hayden and Natalie had.

From a character standpoint I believe that Han/Leia relationship grew from lust to genuinely caring about each other. Did I expect the relationship to last? not really but I suppose EP VII might answer that.

the problem I have with Anakin and Padme is that at no time when they were together did Anakin act mature in front of her, so I have a hard time believing in their relationship because of that.

In the end I prefer Han/Leia, but I didn't feel as if it was a "and they lived happily ever after" type romance either.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    PiettsHat , the answer is "I don't know," but I certainly hope I would not be so gullible as Anakin and believe that killing innocent people would give me the power to make someone immortal.

That said, regardless of what my answer would be, what Anakin did was not love. He did not give a rat's ass about Padme and he made that obvious on Mustafar. He only cared about keeping her.

Real love knows how to let go. That's why I think the fireplace scene, as awkward as it was, and the scenes that followed were better examples of love than ROTS by a long shot. Padme told Anakin that it wasn't going to happen, and he let the idea go until she brought it up again later.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  19. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

Thats why I like his turn, the fact he thinks he can play God with people's lives and have a possessive streak with people is what burnt him (no pun intended) in the end. This is why the unmasking scene is that much powerful for me, Anakin finally learnt to let go of his fears and embrace goodness again.

SkywalkerJedi02 likes this.
  20. thedarkbeckons

thedarkbeckons Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2013
    I really don't think either romance can be equated against the other. Each is treated so differently in the films, and we can all agree that they end VERY differently. Circumstances are everything in a romance, and the circumstances around Han and Leia's love story have zilch in common with Anakin and Padme.

That said, this video I pieced together pretty much sums up how I feel about the latter's relationship:

Someday, if the opportunity arises and the right song presents itself, I want to do one about Han and Leia, but nothing in the works yet. Either way, I really enjoyed making this one and more Star Wars music videos are definitely coming!

21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I honestly don't think either is a real love story.

22. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    The one where he doesn't kill her.

23. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Leia and Han's relationship was more interesting to watch. Anakin and Padme constantly acted awkward around each other.

Sarge likes this.
  24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think both are awkward just in different ways.

Samnz and Pearlsaber like this.
  25. Garra

Garra Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    Nah. I went with Solo and Organa.