main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which is the real 'Football'?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Kyptastic, Oct 28, 2007.

?

Which is the real 'Football'

Poll closed Mar 26, 2012.
  1. Soccer

54.2%
  2. Rugby League

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rugby Union

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Gridiron

36.1%
  5. Australian Rules

8.3%
  6. Gaelic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

1.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    oh, you're talking about soccer. I thought you were talking about football when you said it was right behind hockey.

EDIT: How is Nascar not a team sport?

The World Cup games are the only ones ever watched by Americans though. We watch NBA and MLB all season long every year. Not just for a few games every few years...

so anyway, my research concludes that soccer is the 7th most popular sport in America.

Football> Nascar> Baseball> Basketball> Golf> Hockey> Soccer

There's a huge dropoff from golf to hockey though.

2. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    I would say Tennis is above soccer, as well.

3. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003

I am saying that I am not in the minority where I live. DON'T put words in my mouth.

REAL FOOTBALL can be as popular as soccer if given the chance. Look at the sold out game between the New York Giants and the Miami Dolphins in London last weekend.

Also, every Pre-Season game played in Mexico sells out...every time. You can not predict what will happen in 100 years. Look at how popular Basketball is around the world now.

As to your last point, I have never said Soccer Players are not skilled at what they do. But, the amount of skills learned in Football as opposed to Soccer are at least twice as many.

You also have to admit the mental aspect of Football is played at a higher level than Soccer. There is simply more you have to learn playing Football, as opposed to Soccer.

4. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    smh @ you. You knew I wasn't talking about gridiron.

Teamsport refers to sports such as volleyball, cricket, basketball etc. Whether or not a motorsport is a teamsport can be argued. Which is not the point of the thread.

I thought I specifically said finals not the entire league.

Actually Football might be more popular then Hockey, we both forgot that the Hockey attendance also includes Canada, and ice hockey in Canada is the #1 sport. Also did you include the popularity of football amongst the kids furthermore just a quick assumption I assume high schools football teams then high school ice hockey teams.

Gridiron != real football, in fact its not football at all because the ball isn't played with the foot.

Gridiron will never be as popular as football for one reason alone: equipment.

5. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I honestly didn't... if I hear(or read) football, I think of football, not soccer.

you did, but it's a little unfair to compare the ratings of something that comes around once every 4 years(I think) to a sport that has 162 regular season games a year and a month long of playoffs every year as well. If you want to add up all the ratings to every baseball game in the past decade, and all the ratings to every soccer game in the past decade, we can see which is more popular. :)

I guarantee you hockey is more popular in america then soccer is. First of all little kids don't count, they're parents use soccer as a glorified baby sitter, they pretty much force them to go. high school really isn't a good way to judge either, considering not every high school has a hockey team. It's kind of tough to have hockey teams for a lot of schools just for the reason of where the games would be held. Soccer however can just use the football field.

all you need is a football to play... leave the pads to the pros who can actually cause damage with a hit.

6. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003

...uh..right[face_plain]

Gridiron and Football are the same thing...you must have meant Soccer.

Football can become as popular as Soccer around the world, given time and the right approach. NFL Europe was basically a minor league for American Players. If you had national Football teams made up of European players, it might catch on. It's all about the money also. If there were European sponsors that paid players like U.S. players, many Europeans would Flock to the "Gridiron" to play Football.

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    In order to reduce confusion in this thread, anytime someone says the word 'football,' they're actually referring to the American version. Soccer = soccer.

8. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    What a lot of rot you do talk.

9. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    No, they already have a sport that blows gridiron out of the water already. It's called rugby. And the players don't need to pad themselves with armour in their physical play.

That's never going to work. If people are going to squabble over what the proper term for 'football' is, then all parties should use 'gridiron' and 'soccer', because otherwise neither side is going to back down.

10. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I love how people always use this defense. It might be the most pathetic defense possible in the argument.

If Rugby players could hit half as hard as football players, they'd need pads too.

Even with pads, players get injured all the time.

11. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Yes at first glance its unfair towards the baseball final but it evens out as soon as you include the factors: baseball is the third most popular sport in the US and football is 6th in the US (according to you). Furthermore the football final had nothing to do with America in any aspect possible (heck to quote you: "no one gives a ****" ), it aired on a Sunday afternoon in July. Have already I said it had nothing to do with America? Oh wait I did. So yeh, it evens out.

They do count, because they're playing the game, if more Americans are playing football then ice hockey means its more popular.

Honestly Armenian_Jedi is it hard to believe that football might be more popular in the US then you might think?

Not on a competitive level.

Having a national team in a prestigious international competition does help raise popularity of a sport no matter which one. Not going to happen with Gridiron any time soon.
    Did happen with rugby in Argentina though.

12. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    And I love how Americans use this defence too. The fact everyone wears armour on the field allows everyone to both take and give out hits that could be seen as "harder" than the hits in rugby.

Interestingly enough, I've met Americans that have commented on the brutality of rugby and wondering why there weren't any fatalities. They also said, "its rougher than gridiron*"

*retranslated from the word 'football', which I also chewed them out over.

13. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    My biggest problem with Gridiron is that it seems so structured and artificial. It lacks the free flowing aspects of most of the other types of football.

14. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    So you're saying that because American football is the biggest sport in America that that justifies it as better than soccer? Is America the only place that has a right to have a say here?

15. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    you realize 85% of the people in america that watched it didn't actually care about the game right? It's an event, like the superbowl. People watch big events. The Superbowl gets great ratings all around the world, but I'm not so delusional to think that the people watching around the world actually care about it.

so since people are forced to play one over the other, it's more popular?

More people follow hockey.

you should have said that before.

wearing pads allows you to hit someone harder? That makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

Interestingly enough, I've been forced to watch plenty of rugby in my life, and any american that says it's rougher then football hasn't watched enough football to know the truth.

No.

You said football will never be as popular as soccer.

And I responded by saying we don't give a **** if the rest of the world doesn't watch football.

Never once in there did I say that that was the reason that football is better then soccer.

Football is better then Soccer because it's not a visual form of a sleeping pill.

16. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    I think the point is that nobody in America finds soccer's worldwide popularity as a compelling reason to watch it.

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I've already had to edit one post guys, don't make me edit more or do anything else, ok?

Let's discuss this in a civil manner and discuss only the topic at hand, and not other users, ok?

18. JMJacenSolo

May 21, 2006
    Funny how heated these Gridiron/Soccer threads get.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    If it's too heated for you to post in a civilized manner, walk away and don't post for now.

20. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Inty Edit: Except you already tried that post once, and someone told you why it wasn't acceptable.

21. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Let's try to keep this civil, and not descend into a bar room brawl

22. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    since when did this get heated?

23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Sorry, I didn't see the response to my first post when I made the second one. Hard to see it in the midst of several other quotes, ya know?

But my point is still valid Calling one football and the other American football can be confusing, as was demonstrated earlier, and just for the sake of clarity, I thought it would be easier if people referred to "football" as soccer to reduce the confusion.

24. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    A_J: wearing pads allows you to hit someone harder? That makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

The pads gives gridiron players the protection needed to make the hits they do on the opposition. Let's face it, nobody is going go in for full-body tackles unless they have a relative degree of protection.

Unless of course, they play rugby

25. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Agreed. If a 320-pound linebacker is heading your way, you'd better hope you're wearing some protective pads!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.