main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which is the real 'Football'?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Kyptastic, Oct 28, 2007.

?

Which is the real 'Football'

Poll closed Mar 26, 2012.
  1. Soccer

54.2%
  2. Rugby League

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rugby Union

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Gridiron

36.1%
  5. Australian Rules

8.3%
  6. Gaelic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

1.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    To summarize:

Y'all act like women.

2. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    REAL FOOTBALL can be as popular as soccer if given the chance. Look at the sold out game between the New York Giants and the Miami Dolphins in London last weekend.

Also, every Pre-Season game played in Mexico sells out...every time. You can not predict what will happen in 100 years. Look at how popular Basketball is around the world now.

I would bet anything that an Chelsea/Man U game in the USA somewhere would sell out easliy.

3. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    "Soccer" of course is the real football.

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    For me football is a game that involves handling the ball with your feet, and the ball is supposed to be a round sphere, so that means that I can't call gridiron or rugby football. Gaelic football can be called football on those account, since they handle the ball with their feet as well, but still the "real" football can only be the one some people like to call soccer.

5. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    American Football cannot lay claim to the title of "Real" Football. It neither has claim on being the oldest or most popular version. Isn't it just rugby with pads and helmets ;)

'nuff said.

6. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003

Fine, but American football can lay claim to the "Best" football.;) Basketball is slowly gaining on soccer around the world, football might also, given time.

Rugby w/out pads huh...Okay, then you have to admit Soccer is the WWE w/out the ring. There is more acting and fake injuries in soccer than a soap opera and the WWE combined.

Soccer is the oldest version, no doubt. The debate on the best or most popular should be saved untill American football is as old as Socccer/football.

I admit to being bias, but people living in the UK have to do the same. Soccer does not appeal to the American audience like American football, and vice versa in the UK. It is what you grew up with.

But, look what happens when a country has a tradition of neither sport. Hawaiians and Samoans are drawn more towards American Football than Soccer/football. The size argument does not hold any water, because short people like to play basketball...just something to think about.

7. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    'But, look what happens when a country has a tradition of neither sport. Africans are drawn more towards football then American football.' :p

Football is only a decade older then American football (not counting "kick the ball" sports that existed since god knows when). So lets compare the popularity of American football today with the popularity of football in the 90s. Hmmm... nope not as popular. :p

8. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Basketball is getting very popular around the world, particularly China

9. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Versions of the game of soccer have dated back a lot further in time, than American style football.

10. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Wrong. Both modern football and football American football dates back to the 19th century, both sports are derived from the same 'football' sports (including rugby, Canadian, Australian football) that existed since the medieval time

11. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    fact of the matter is, more popular doesn't equal a better sport.

soccer is more popular world wide.

Football is the better sport.

12. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    tbh i have no problem with NFL players wearing pads and helmets. the defensive line and offensive line, or whatever you call them, have to ram into each other from a standing start - you need pads for this. it's not the same in rugby or AFL or whatever, where the game is more fluid. there is not the short, quick, high impact from stationary position element. there are tackles, sure, but you can dodge and weave and position yourselves to take a tackle - not so in the NFL. and and if these particular players use pads, then you have to give everyone in the team pads, even the line backers or whoever.

13. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Opinion.

14. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003

Wrong. Try researching a little. Soccer in it's current form is a lot closer to versions of the sports dating back thousands of years. In fact, versions of the game of soccer were actyally banned in England in the 1700's. In the 1600's a game called "Calico" was played in italy that was basically a version of the game of soccer. The influence of this sport, and other versions of the sport in Europe, over time, is huge compared to American Football.

The point is...that versions of soccer have been around a lot longer. The European countries have had versions of the game throughout their history. Soccer in it's current form, resembles the older games more than American football. That can not be denied.

15. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    American Football. Besides baseball, the perfect game.

Soccer is somewhat entertaining, but I cannot see how it compares to American Football. Too boring. What's there to get excited over?

16. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    It probably would - because it would be the first big soccer game over here...ever. Which is why the first American Football game sold out in England.

American Football would be as big in the U.S. as Soccer is in Europe if there weren't four sports to divide our attention. When we have Hockey, Football, Baseball, and Basketball selling out arenas and stadiums over here...one sport isn't going to be as popular here as the only sport to watch, really, in Europe.

17. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    who said it wasn't an opinion?

18. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    "American Football" will never be as popular around the world as Association Football.

Association Football does indeed have more tha its fair share of drama queens and actors. Granted, you have me on this and it is one of the things that is wrong with the modern game. Footballers have a lot to learn from Rugby players on this count.

American Football will never be as old as Association football as the latter will always be older.

I admit to being biased in favour of Association Football and Rugby Football but the facts in terms of history and numbers speaks volumes.

Hawaiians surely, have a US-centric bias being a state of the nation? I would also question the fact that nations without a tradition in either Association Football and "American Football" are drawn to either game. It would be folly to make such claims without hard evidence either way. Samoa by the way is a big Rugby nation. Samoa being in the second tier and American Somoa being in the third.

I have no idea why you are atlking about people's height :)

PS - ask 1000 people from 50 countries to name the best footballer in the history of football how many would name (or even think of) an American Football player?

No offence to American Football. I'm sure its an exciting and thrilling game but it simply cannot and should not be described as the "real" football.

19. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Nobody. But you never said it was, either.

20. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    You fail to mention Association Football's popularity in Asia, South America and Africa.....

21. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Just out of curiosity, what does a sports popularity have to do with how good of a sport it is?

22. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Just out of curiosity what makes "American Football" real football?

23. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003

The reason I brought up the two cultures is becuase they were both introduced to both American and Brittish Culutres. Africa, was brought up by someone. The European influence on Africa has been well documented. German, Brittish, French etc.

The influx of Samoan and Hawaiian players in both NCAAFB and the NFL has been really significant.

Most countries around the world were introduced to Brittish or European Culture hundreds of yeas ago. The U.S. is still a young nation. So, you are right, if you ask 50 countries that question, most would recognize Soccer players.

Also, I brought up height as an example to counter a body type argument. Samoans and Hawaiians are known for their size, strength, and girth. Stereotype? Yes, but I have lived in Hawaii, and have Hawaiian relative who would agree to that. One might argue they would be drawn to contact sports. That is why I said it does not matter, since short people still like to play basketball.:)

24. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Just because something came along first doesn't make it the "real" one.

I'm sure there was someone named Robert De Niro 400 years ago, but unfortunately for that fellow, he's no the real Robert De Niro.

The better Robert De Niro is the real Robert De Niro.

25. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    No, he's just the most famous and popular Robert De Niro. When people around the world hear the name Robert De Niro, they equate it with the actor.

Thus, consequently, when people hear the term, football, they equate it with the most famous and popular football.

Hence, Association Football.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.