main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which is the real 'Football'?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Kyptastic, Oct 28, 2007.

?

Which is the real 'Football'

Poll closed Mar 26, 2012.
  1. Soccer

54.2%
  2. Rugby League

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rugby Union

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Gridiron

36.1%
  5. Australian Rules

8.3%
  6. Gaelic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

1.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerdu_Slmor

Jerdu_Slmor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 20, 2007
    I say American GridIron football, though the most popular sport will be soccer esp. because the fact that other countrys don't play gridiron football.

2. Eskimo9000

Eskimo9000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2007
    Other - Canadian Football

3. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    You posted You do realize that a lot of the time even players on the opponents side of the field do not touch the ball. See what I'm getting at? You don't have to touch the ball to be involved in the attack in football just like you don't need to touch the ball in American football.

In the first video, Beckham scored after an opponent lost the ball while in Man U's (Beckham's team) half. The Man U keeper would have been 100% focused on the game, watching his positioning, communicating with his defense, etc. Things vital to his team not conceding a goal. What do you think he was doing?

If you'll recall, I said that footballers don't get to take a break after losing possession to an opponent. You haven't lost possession of the ball when you get a free-kick or corner. You still have the ball. And just in case you're implying that the defenders get to take a nap when they concede a corner or free-kick, I'll point out that those are times when it's even more important to be 100% alert, focused, etc., because they're great scoring opportunities for their opponent. As for when the keeper makes a save, they would be given a yellow card by the ref if they take their time releasing the ball. At most, they keep the ball for a few seconds and often release it as quickly as it is possible for them to do so.

You were responding to the point that you mistakenly thought that I had made (i.e. about rest). You posted You do realize that if American football players played both sides of the ball, the whole game, they would not be able to finish a game. American football players lose fluids faster due to the equipment they play with. The weight gets tiring, even when you aren't on the field. so don't tell me American football players get more rest. The blue text is where you're indicating that I'm mistaken for thinking that American football players get more rest (which I didn't say). The red text is where you're explaining why they can't play both sides of the game (notice this is directly related to your response to my phantom post). The green text is where you again refer to my phantom post. So as you can see that you did miss my point and you were responding to what you thought I posted. So I would appreciate it if you would 'READ please'.

4. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    this argument got boring and repetitive rather quickly.

5. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    So it's like the Comms? You know, having to make your point 5 times because people don't listen the first 4 times...

6. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Yeah, especially when people don't answer questions.... still waiting A_J.

7. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    What'd you ask me? I'm not gonna read all these long ass posts...

8. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003

I guess the point I am trying to make, maybe not clearly :p , is that American Football players are involved on every play, on every down. Soccer players are not. On corner or free kicks, the goalie or player hanging back to play defense are not involved in that particular play.

You said the key word...he would have been watching. Of course he would be paying attention. That does not mean they are involved in the play, or action at that time.

You responded to the point about the mid-field kick, but what about corner and free kicks? What is the other goalie doing?

I have watched enough Soccer to know that is untrue. I have seen goalies at the World Cup bounce the ball around a couple of times, the place the ball at the edge of the Goal box (Don't know the name:p ) and then kick the ball down field. And, no, I do not think they take minutes or anything like that, but the other team does get a chance to get their defense set.

I can admit if I made a mistake...I really was adding on to my point though. Sometime I get on a roll and thing blend together:oops:

But answer me this...What kind of break are you talking about? If you say American football players get a break when they change possessions, what does this break consist of in your view? Regrouping? Rest? It kind of goes hand in hand if you ask me.

Most of the time when players "Break" when there is a change of possession, they are being prepped by their coaches and team mates about changes and adjustment they need to make on the next series.

9. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Fair point :)

I wanted to know why you thought "American Football" a superior game than either Association Football or Rugby. Why is it, to you at least, the "real" football?

10. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Nothing about it makes it the "real" football. Just like, in my opinion, nothing makes soccer the "real" football.

I think the one which is better is the "real" football. So to me, football is the real one, and to you, soccer is the real one. Neither of us is ever gonna convince the other that our sport is better then the others, so it's getting a little tiring.

11. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    The point I'm trying to make is that just because a footballer isn't actually touching the ball or hasn't touched the ball in the move that lead to an attempt on goal doesn't mean that he isn't doing anything or isn't involved in the game. Football is a different game from American football. You can't have everyone bunched up around the ball and expect to score. You need to give your teammates options when the have the ball. You need to try and stretch defenses, open holes for other teammates to exploit, etc. You don't get a break to organize your defense if your team loses possession. A counterattack by the opposition can take place at lightning speed.

When I say watching his positioning, I don't mean he's standing there admiring his feet, I mean he's continually making adjustments so that he is in the correct position relative to the ball and other players. As for the goalie when his team has a free kick or corner, he still must remain alert and aware of what is going on in the game. Again, have you heard that the sports are 90% mental? You can't switch on and off all of the time. He might not be as alert as say the goalie who is dealing with the attack at the opposite end, but he's not having a nap.

What does the kicker in American football do for most of the game?

Sorry but it is true. It doesn't happen often but keepers, and other players, will get a card for wasting time. One example is holding onto the ball for too long or for waiting too long to take a goal kick. And again, I've never said that they don't have a chance to set up their defense when their side concedes a corner or freekick in the vicinity of their goal (although at times the opponents are permitted by the refs to take the freekick quickly, before the defense has had a chance to set up their wall).

12. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003

13. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    Thank you. That's basically the point that I was making.

14. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    You're welcome Greg Peters.

15. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Maybe...but part of the fun is competition in all forms. Passionate fans sticking up for their sports or debating the merits of their respective sports, is fun to me. It is only when attacks get personal that it is not fun. When this thread was started, the title alone would spark some passionate debate. People love their sports teams and sports icon or heroes.

If I have made someone feel personally attacked, I apologize. I hold no grudges or anything. I do see that minds will not be changed though.

That is why I said earlier...I will settle for a happy medium...Kickball is the real football!!!!!:p

16. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    The funny thing about this argument is that the only reason we fight over these two particular sports is that they both happen to be called "football" in different parts of the world. There's no inherent connection. Maybe we ought to rotate to basketball vs. soccer :p

17. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    this may be true in little league but not in the pros, defenders are the ones who make the crucucial passes.

18. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Bloody Hell! Its like getting blood from a stone! I don't want to convince you to change your mind but I am interested in WHY you think "American Football" is the better game!!!! Something I have asked of you three times now! [face_laugh] Can't you answer the question?????

BTW, I actually prefer Rugby but appreciate the impact of Association Football.

19. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    I think Football is the better game because for me, it's the more enjoyable one to play and watch. It's more strategic. Time management, field goals or tds, PATs or 2 point conversions, on the defensive side, sending in a blitz at the right time to put pressure on the quarterback, on the offensive side, being able to spot the blitz and get the ball to your check down receiver, or back to the defensive side, cover 2's, cover 3's, man to man's, zone's, defenders in the flat, 8 in the box, prevent, qb contain, doubling a receiver and risking leaving the middle open for the run... I could go on and on.

Each play is so different from the last, there's so many things to watch at once in order to see why the defense was so successful or why the offensive was able to tear into them. It's not as simple a game as soccer is, it's possibly the most complicated sport on the planet. And I love the complicated, I love the tiny little things about the game that no one else can spot, I love how the whole game seems to be designed like a battlefield, I love how no spectacular play on the offensive side can ever be made by one person, it truly is a team sport. In soccer, there are a few(not many) times where someone will make a play all on their own and score a goal. In football that doesn't happen. A guy broke a 70 yard for a touchdown? Couldn't do that without great blocking. A receiver catches a wide open pass 15 yards from the line of scrimmage in the middle of the field? Couldn't do that without other receivers stretching the defense for you and taking them off you. A field goal kicker makes a game winning kick? Well, just look at what happened to the cowboys last year and you'll see a kick isn't all dependant on the kicker.

I'm rambling now... and the football game is about to start. :p

20. DrMRMcKay

DrMRMcKay Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2007
    I have come into this a little late, butI have to say it is amusing.

We have mostly Americans here apparantly saying "NFL all the way, nothing better yee har."
    Thats great for a sport that stops for Ad breaks - what a joke. I saw 1 game and it went lie this:
    Kick off
    Catch
    run and tackle
    everyone gets up and goes off for a rest.
    Then we have the Euros with their Soccer "Its the world game blah blah blah"
    Thats great for a sport full of Cheats and girls. "Learnt it from from Rugby?? I really don't think so, the Rugby/League/AFL guys all know how to take a hit and keep on coming.
    Just for history's sake: AFL was not invented as an offshoot like the others, it was based on an old Aboriginal game so it's a whole other kettle of fish.
    Having said all of that, I think the best is the one that gets the least support, League.
    It is a free flowing, hard, fast, rough game played by real men. Unlike NFL they don't feel the need to cover themselves in padding, or have a rest every 5 minutes (there are only 4 reserves too so everyone on the field as much as possible. Gotta be fit for that). Unlike Soccer, you use a lot more of your body (my main problem with Soccer though is the culture of cheating that seems to be all over it esp with the South American and Southern Euro teams, they think being able to fake a penalty and get it is a great play. It is cheating thats that.
    Union is too doughy for me, not enough spark in it.
    AFL is too sloppy, they don't really controll the ball, it is organised chaos.

21. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    You realize those breaks in play were around before commercials were put on during them, right?

22. DrMRMcKay

DrMRMcKay Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2007
    yeah and that would have been worse.
    I erally did try to get into the sport but I just couldn't help but get bored. Stop, set play, Stop set play.......
    Bit too much like chess instead of an outdoor sport.
    I get that you would have to be really fit to do it, but you need to be really fit for synchro swimming too, doesn't make it exciting.

23. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Yeah, it's a complicated game based on strategy,

Inty Edit: Nope. No more personal comments like that.

24. DrMRMcKay

DrMRMcKay Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2007
    there is nothing Simple about the other codes, they just make you think "on your feet" as opposed to sitting on your @r$e thinkin about it for a while, then going on the field to do 5 minutes of work.

Inty Edit: And no need to respond to it, either.

25. DrMRMcKay

DrMRMcKay Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2007
    thanks Mod, you are correct.

The statements don't really make sense on their own though do they.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.