main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which is the 'real' Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Chameleon102, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chameleon102

Chameleon102 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    Hey.

After seeing ROTS, there are two possibilities regarding the marked differences between ROTS and ROTJ Palpatine.

1) In ROTS he was full of joy (the bad kind - defeat of your enemy type joy) that the plan he had dedicated his life to was actually coming to pass, and he was reckless with it. With proper control he could have annihilated Yoda. By ROTJ he was older, wiser and stronger in terms of his manipulative powers (possibly because he was aware that his age would prevent any lightsaber/flipping tomfoolery), and also uses a different emotion to draw strength from. In ROTJ, his main motivation is anger (there's nowhere near as much laughing going on - although if he told those Star Destroyers to enter the battle...) and it's only because Anakin is the Chosen One that he doesn't kill Luke and is destroyed - it's the will of the Force.

2) In ROTS, Palpatine is at the top of his game, as shown by his plan working, his physical powers and his manipulation. As a devoted Sith, he is fully aware that sooner or later Darth Vader will surpass and replace him (i.e kill him), and is quite prepared to die. Once he's in the suit, Vader can never be as powerful as Palpatine, or even his old self. In the intervening decades, Palpatine has grown into his Emperor role. His powers have atrophied and his plans were arbitrarily stopped (I don't believe for one second that ROTS Palpatine would allow ANYTHING to be a threat, even something as obscure as the Ewoks). He has unwittingly repeated Darth Plagueis' mistake of fearing to lose the power he's attained. He's destroyed in ROTJ because he's just not that good anymore.

Which one do you guys go with? If you have any other ideas, post 'em and show me up for the fool I am!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.