main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which is worse: Cellular or Phone Booth?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Obi-Wan2001, Sep 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    These are two really bad movies, IMO. It's kind of hard to decide which is worse. What do you think?

I saw Phone Booth in the theater. Filled with all kinds of plot holes, and why was Kiefer harassing this poor guy, because he was contemplating cheating on his wife? Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, if I remember correctly, Collin has been in the phone booth for hours, has now been on TV for hours, and who's the one person that calls him on his cell phone? Kiefer. After a while, it's clear that Kiefer's voice-over villain is ripe for parody. Almost impossible to take seriously by the end.

Now, Cellular, I'd actually heard this was an underrated thriller that nobody saw in the theater. So, it comes on cable and I watch it. Ludicrous, just completely ludicrous beyond words. I have no problem suspending disbelief, but this was just a horrible mess.

Have you guys seen these movies? Your thoughts?

2. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Never saw Cellular... but I thought Phone Booth was alright. It wasn't the best movie... but it kept me entertained.

3. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I loved Phone Booth.

4. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I thought Phone Booth was a really well made film and a great thriller. Solid performances as well.

5. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    It was terrible. Tell me what you thought was good about it.

6. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    which one of the three are you asking?

I'll give a response even if you weren't talking to me. :p

I liked Forrest Whitaker(sp?) in it, he was great. and the plot twists were cool too. And the movie got me really feeling claustrophobic, which is good, cuz I imagine that's how Colin Farrell's character must've felt. :p

7. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
  8. Phone Booth was Colin Farrell's best performance I think. He basically carried the whole film.

9. Larry Coen came up with the idea over twenty years ago, and even ran it by Hitchcock. That's something kickass in itself. It follow's Hithcock's formula by using a very simple, basic plot, but stuffing as much depth into the characters as possible.

10. The film's a morality play, and that's a type of film that doesn't really exist anymore.

11. Also, I love the tension it builds, even though we don't see the shooter until the end, and it's all set in one location a la Rear Window.
  13. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    I knew there'd be people sticking up for Phone Booth. Colin Farrell did give a good performance, I'll give you that. But the screenplay is mediocre at best. A lot of things handled unrealistically, that pulled me out of it. Like, ask yorself, if you were all over every TV station for hours, surrounded by cops, and your cell phone was on, how many people do you think would try and call you?

14. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    The screenplay was quite well written. It was a magnificent example of writing.

How many people would try to call him? Insignificant in the grand scheme of things and not really important. That and any type of explanation can be given for something so trivial.

15. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    It's not trivial. anyone with common sense watching it should be asking themeselves: Why aren't friends and family calling him?

16. Darth_Banal

Darth_Banal Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 22, 2002
    I thought Cellular was great, and yes it is a very underrated thriller.

I'm a 24 fanatic, and Cellular had the exact same frenetic, think-on-your feet, race against the clock type of action. It's not the greatest movie of all time, but it definitely got my attention.

Never did see Phone Booth.

17. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    [face_sick] *pukes*

;)

18. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    it is trivial. I

And besides, the character was established as having been disconnected from his friends and family. And besdies, maybe they did try to reach him. Who knows. It was not needed to be shown on screen if that was the case because it was not a factor in the plot itself.

It is trivial in the grand scheme of things.

From a writing standpoint, it was well written. You may not like it, may not be for you... but from a writer's standpoint... it was very well written. Very tight.

Does it have flaws? Yes. I have issues with the ending. But never the less, it's a solid piece of writing.

19. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Really liked Phone Booth, haven't seen Cellular

20. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Of course there'd be people sticking up for Phone Booth! The consensus disagrees with you. Both critics and audiences responded to it well.

21. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Critics and audiences respond well to a lot of crap. [face_mischief]

The writing was the worst aspect of Phone Booth.

22. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    ah, your argument for why the movie is crap has no flaws what so ever.

23. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    It's hard to know where to even begin with Cellular, but I think comparing it to 24 is an insult to 24.

And I found Phone Booth to be somewhat entertaining, because Farrell carried it farily well and it's only what, a whole whopping 80 minutes? Do I think it's a good film, though? No.

24. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    You've said that about six times in one thread. I think we get it ;)

25. kotorchick

kotorchick Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 11, 2005
    Never seen Phone Booth, though I did see Celluar. Mind you, this was at a party with like eight of my good girlfriends with killer surround sound and a huge TV sceen. I'm probably slightpy biased. [face_tounge]

I liked it. No, the preformances weren't very brilliant, but the general idea of the plot was pretty good. I really liked the cop dude who was going to start the day spa. It also had some very unexpected moments, expecially when the glass would break right behind your head (at least it sounded like) and would scare you to death. It was contrived at places, but I did like it.

26. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Phone Booth was awesome. Great writing, great acting, great premise.

Haven't seen Cellular.

27. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Except, from a writing stand point... it is far from badly written.

That doesn't mean you cannot like it. Not everything is for everyone.

I dislke the LOTR books very much, but I'm not about to say they are badly written, because they are not.

There is a different between bad writing and one just not liking the actual text.

I enjoyed very much Phone Booth. But that is just my opinion as a writer myself.

28. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I haven't seen Cellular but Phone Booth was a pretty solid suspense thriller.

29. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    Haven't seen phone booth, but rented cellular one night with the gf and we both enjoyed it a lot, I almost considered buying it.

30. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    william macey was very good in cellular but the acting by everyone else really got on my nerves. i liked phone booth when i saw it, though i'd probably change my mind now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.