main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Which journey is better/more interesting, Anakin's, Luke's or Rey's one?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Dec 22, 2015.

?

Best journey?

1. Anakin

42 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. Luke

51 vote(s)
    37.2%
  3. Rey

44 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    I'm refering to just the first chapter of the respective journeys of our three protagonists of the saga. There's no point in comparing Rey arc with Anakin's, not yet at least.

I'm going with Rey here, no doubt. She is very capable from the beginning, an awesome pilot (all Skywalkers are from the beginning it seems), and she dominates the screen everytime she's in. She is intriguing, and her past is much more interesting than the other Skywalkers. (And yes, she's a Skywalker, we just don't know officially yet)

Much has been debated about Anakin's first appearence in Episode I, he's a good pilot, afraid of losing his mother and that's practically it, not much can be added.

And about Luke, one can argue that he's practically a supporting character until the Battle of Yavin, he follows Obi-Wan to Alderaan, and then follows Leia to Yavin. I'd say that his character really began his journey on ESB.

Ghost likes this.
  2. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    considering only the first act, I'd have to say Rey. Luke didn't really do much in terms of training or discovering who he is.
    Anakin... eh.

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Luke. Because he learned at a more realistic pace than Rey who can seemingly do anything she wants despite being just a scavenger. It doesn't make any sense to me that she learned to pilot starships when she couldn't even buy herself enough to eat with her scavenging. And her defeating Kylo in a lightsaber duel would be like Luke defeating Darth Vader in ANH.

4. George_W_Boushh

George_W_Boushh Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2001
    LOVE this idea for a thread. As of now, I have to state Luke due to two reasons:

1. We only know about Rey's story within the first film. We do not have a backstory, nor do we know where the story is going. Therefore, she is the most intriguing character, but I do not know enough about her to say that her story is better.

2. We have seen Luke grow from the whiny farm-boy of Tattooine to the Jedi Master who has brought balance to the Force by convincing Vader to turn back to the light. His story arc was amazing for a three film story. However, we now see Luke in exile, and it a completely different situation than we have ever seen the character. He appears to be emotionally vulnerable, and there is some kind of history and future present that is to keep fans like us excited.

Rey HAS the potential to be the greatest character in the franchise in terms of a story arc, but I still gotta stick with Luke. There is still more for us to learn of his character too.

5. jainasky

jainasky Jedi Master star 1

Jun 7, 2010
    I picked Luke. Anakin's first story was kid to Jedi trainee.

Rey is a kick butt and amazing character.... but Luke was just a farmer who went on a mission to save a princess from the evil Empire after his family is killed and saves the galaxy!

Anakin built pod racers. Rey roamed around the desert and sold junk for food and water. Luke gets his own water by building a vaporator.

Which then gives Luke more time to hang out in Tochi Station to get power converters and fly his T16 while chasing whomp rats and avoiding Tuskan Raiders.

Besides Luke is cute ;)

6. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    "Better?" Right now, Luke, since he's the only one with a completed arc that's actually handled well. "More interesting," though? Absolutely Rey and I think she'll probably end up with a better arc than Luke overall too by the end of this trilogy.

I'll be writing an essay on this subject pretty soon, so expect to see that pop up here in the forums in the near future. Essentially it comes down to the idea that unlike Anakin or Luke, who both strived to surpass their respective "benchmarks" (Count Dooku, Darth Vader), Rey is actually locked in a struggle with her rival (Kylo Ren) in the legacy of Anakin Skywalker.

7. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
  8. LikeMike

LikeMike Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    Anakin almost had no journey. I know a lot of People say the First 6 Movies are about him turning to the Dark side And then getting redeemed - but he is basically Never doing anything. He is always only doing, what he is told, either by Obi-Wan, Padme, the Jedi Council or Sidious. The only times he actually acts are probably him failing to Save his mother, And turning on the Emperor at the very end. I think that is one of the biggest problems of the Prequel.

Really if you think about it, the First six movies are about Sidious. The best Thing about the prequels is his Rise to power And him pulling the strings in the background - I Love how Lucas didn't tell or show Most of it, But had a Ton of Little clues And seeds Here or there.

Now between Luke And Rey - that's a tough one. We already know Lukes - it's basically the Heroes Jouney by Campbell. It's perfect, But also pretty much by the Book. So far Reys seem really similar - But they will probably mix ist up some. Just because Rey is such a fresh And Great character, I Hope she Takes the crown at the end of the trilogy...

7starlight likes this.
  9. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I think Luke's because it had a more complete feeling to it. Rey's feel unfinished because it is set up as more of an act 1 of a 3 act structure. Luke's story really gets fleshed out because that first film was all that could really foresee making.

I think Rey has the potential to have an overall more satisfying story arc over the trilogy but I then again don't know how you beat the "I am your father" reveal for upping the stakes.

10. George89

George89 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    Luke because we see him developing into a Jedi at a natural pace, Rey's journey feels forced and rushed, but is also enjoyable because Daisy gives a very good performance as Rey.

11. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    What is Rey's journey? Find Luke Skywalker?

Winshen Cloudleaper likes this.
  12. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    This is very difficult. Although Luke is my favourite force user, I actually think it's between Anakin and Rey for me.

Going with Anakin.

13. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I think some people are missing the point of this thread and comparing Anakin and Luke's completed arcs to Rey's starting point.
    But if we look ONLY at the first films in each trilogy, pretending episodes 2 &3 and 5 & 6 don't exist, I think I have to go with Rey.

First of all, her backstory in her first film is more intriguing than Luke's backstory was in his first film. That flashback scene when she grabbed the saber intrigued me more than anything that happened to Luke in ANH.
    And second, the way she taps into force is more interesting than the way Luke tapped into it. With Luke, he had to be told. With Rey, it's something she discovers within herself, on her own, during moments of necessity.
    Aside from all that, I just find Daisy to be a better actor than Mark was in ANH.

14. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Luke's, because it is the most convincing one until now. ;)

DarthBane93, T-R- and Darth_Pevra like this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I think if you take away Ridley's acting it would be pretty obvious how unrealistic and forced her "development" is. It's frankly one of the movies weak points.

16. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    Rey seems to have a relationship with the force that we've never seen before. So I find her the most interesting of the three in that regard.

Also she's a scavenger surviving by herself. Both Luke & Little Annie have family members to fall back on. So I'm more curious about how she managed.

And I find Ren a far more disturbing villain than Vader, so the fact she comes face to face with him and triumphs. Neither of the other two properly battled the bad guys in the first of their three stories.

17. Darth Camp

Darth Camp Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Perhaps there is something to that. Something that just might be explained in the next film.

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I'm already taking into account that she was trained as a toddler.

Colm

Special relationship to the force, huh? Well now, that's a very convenient explanation.

19. George89

George89 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015

Or the future prequels to this trilogy :))

20. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    Trilogy wise, Luke's.

Start: Binary Sunset.
    End: Meeting the force ghosts.

DarthBane93 likes this.
  21. Darth Camp

Darth Camp Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    No more prequels, never again. Besides what would they be

Star Wars 6

Star Wars 6.5

Star Wars 7

22. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    :D

To me she seems like potentially a new type of jedi. It's like the force has evolved, a new type of hero is needed to face the evil that is spreading throughout the galaxy. Her ability to understand and mimic how someone uses the force is what was required.

A young Luke tentatively learning how to wield a lightsabre would have been cut down like Finn was by Ren. So the force created a new type of jedi to solve what happened in the story.

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Another chosen one then? Great. Because that worked so well last time. And I still don't understand why a scavenger can pilot spaceships.

Hope in the next one her Mary Sue qualities are turned down.

24. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Clearly she's flown ships before. We see that she was given to Unkar Plutt as a young girl. So he was some kind of messed up guardian to her until she became an adult. From then he's more like an employer. Seems clear he had her pilot ships & speeders for him here & there. That's why she calls herself a pilot. She also knew all about his modifications to the Falcon & who he stole it from. So her close links with Plutt are made quite clear.

As for the fight, the movie continually shows us how much damage Chewie's bowcaster now does. So Kylo was badly handicapped. It's also clear that Rey's been fighting off scumbags on Jakku with her staff all her life. We see her make many of the same moves in the lightsaber battle as we saw with her staff earlier. That + her growing Force ability + Kylo's injuries meant I had no problem with it.

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Meh, it's possible to invent some in universe justifications for anything. I still think the speed at which she learned well everything shatters suspension of disbelief. First the villain is built up as powerhouse, than he is defeated by a newbie.

obi_kenobi_24 likes this.